Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess the honeymoon is over reading so many negative posts.

I wasn't expecting miracles and after the GWS game I said the biggest challenge for Shaw is getting the consistency of effort, not just to do the defensive things but to work hard offensively to take the game on, create space and get quality inside 50s. We are still very inconsistent with just some of the basics like being prepared to run, it is pretty much an above the shoulders problem and I don't have a lot of confidence that the group Scott spent a long time developing will improve for the better.

I look forward to things like Simpkin's development and hope we can take a similar leap forward with Taylor, Thomas, Scott, LDU, etc. We know we ****ed up with the past but we can't undo that, what I am hoping for is the future is different and better, not more of the same.

Right now we have today's side plus these players available:

Tom Campbell, Joel Crocker, Sam Durdin, Lachie Hosie, Matthew McGuiness, Ben Mackay, Tom Murphy, Tristan Xerri.

Poor Shaw.

On the plus side over the next month we might have some much better players available. Anderson, Cunnington and LDU all change things significantly. Long down the line to a contest makes much more sense with them available.

Daw and Larkey change things at both ends. The ability to use Daw again in that intercepting role will be fantastic. He changes the dynamic of the field and automatically makes the opposition less dominant. Larkey is vital to our structure, or Comben or Daw or someone ... Anyone who who play a KPF role.

Considering the circumstances, which all clubs face but it's only us with so many new personnel in the footy department, it must be a nightmare for Shaw to try and construct a team that can play the sort of footy we set up to play all pre season. Right now I can see the hole left by each of Jed, Cunners, LDU, Larks and even Kayne Turner and Garns.

Especially having watched so much of last year's games during the lockdown.

Even Wood and Garner were solid contributors late last year. Amazing how many crucial balls Garner won last year.

All this talk about playing the kids is great, and really the only ones missing any opportunity at all are Crocker and Hosie, but it's only happening because we have nothing else to play for or to do. Last year we had Wood, Turner, Garner, JZ, and Larkey all as regular parts of the forward line, even when Jack was"back in the midfield". This year four of them have been injured. After pre seasons. Which, for all their flaws, means all their continuity and familiarity with each other and their systems is gone. Garner, Larkey and Turner all have high footy IQ. Even Jack and Wood have their moments.

All that knowledge about where and when to move as the ball is just starting to move out of the deep backline isn't there. So there isn't the expected movement for backs and mids to look for and everything else breaks down.

All that slow, stagnant play is a result of players downfield not having options in the expected spots moving from the forward line. Because that drilled first option isnttherethings slow down and go sideways.

Also given all that then I'm happy for Shaw to find any positive he can in terms of "playing our game again".

Frankly as bad as we were against * - who are well in the eight - it was only poor concentration in the last minutes of the first three quarters that ended up being the difference.

Last edited:

Right now we have today's side plus these players available:

Tom Campbell, Joel Crocker, Sam Durdin, Lachie Hosie, Matthew McGuiness, Ben Mackay, Tom Murphy, Tristan Xerri.

Poor Shaw.

On the plus side over the next month we might have some much better players available. Anderson, Cunnington and LDU all change things significantly. Long down the line to a contest makes much more sense with them available.

Daw and Larkey change things at both ends. The ability to use Daw again in that intercepting role will be fantastic. He changes the dynamic of the field and automatically makes the opposition less dominant. Larkey is vital to our structure, or Comben or Daw or someone ... Anyone who who play a KPF role.

Considering the circumstances, which all clubs face but it's only us with so many new personnel in the footy department, it must be a nightmare for Shaw to try and construct a team that can play the sort of footy we set up to play all pre season. Right now I can see the hole left by each of Jed, Cunners, LDU, Larks and even Kayne Turner and Garns.

Especially having watched so much of last year's games during the lockdown.

Even Wood and Garner were solid contributors late last year. Amazing how many crucial balls Garner won last year.

All this talk about playing the kids is great, and really the only ones missing any opportunity at all are Crocker and Hosie, but it's only happening because we have nothing else to play for or to do. Last year we had Wood, Turner, Garner, JZ, and Larkey all as regular parts of the forward line, even when Jack was"back in the midfield". This year four of them have been injured. After pre seasons. Which, for all their flaws, means all their continuity and familiarity with each other and their systems is gone. Garner, Larkey and Turner all have high footy IQ. Even Jack and Wood have their moments.

All that knowledge about where and when to move as the ball is just starting to move out of the deep backline isn't there. So there isn't the expected movement for backs and mids to look for and everything else breaks down.

All that slow, stagnant play is a result of players downfield not having options in the expected spots moving from the forward line. Because that drilled first option isnttherethings slow down and go sideways.
Great post.

Alright

you play Cunnington when he was Clearly injured

Zeebs was obviously not ready. Not even a ******* scratch match?

Im losing faith Shaw. Very desperate and poor decisions

Might seem a bit of 'same old same old' from me to defend Shaw, but i actually think that Jack (again) forced the issue by publicly pushing to play. Did it once this year with bugger all training under the belt, only to get injury*ed. Pretty sure he's done it again.

As for this game in general I think Shaw's decided that either we show something by throwing the magnets around and playing more instinctively or we don't show more and successively tank.

Might seem a bit of 'same old same old' from me to defend Shaw, but i actually think that Jack (again) forced the issue by publicly pushing to play. Did it once this year with bugger all training under the belt, only to get injuryfu**ed. Pretty sure he's done it again.

As for this game in general I think Shaw's decided that either we show something by throwing the magnets around and playing more instinctively or we don't show more and successively tank.

Ive loved what he’s brought to the club. The additions and we needed a change. But to bring in underdone players andddd we look like we have more structure than Brad

Last year we won games coz he took off the shackles. Now we look so strict. It sucks to see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So now we have Rhyce picking Cunners, picking Tom Campbell and now picking JZ.

But the worst of all - play Pittard in the forward line rather than Hosie!

My goodness Rhyce has gone from chocolates to boiled lollies very quickly this season...unless of course he has decided to go the tank - if he has he is doing it very well.

Something’s just not right around the club. How has a red-hot, bone-crunching team become a listless, demoralised rabble in just one short Covid Isolation break? Something’s not right.
Because it's not just the 2 month (or however bloody long it was, I can't remember any more) layoff. It's coming back to bizarre training restrictions while 1/3rd of the staff have been shafted. It's having a giant injury list with key players. It's being forced to move out of your home in the middle of the night to some shitty airbnb join only to move, a week later, to the gold coast a for a month (wait no, for the foreseeable future). And all of this without even considering the massive weaknesses in our list thanks to the previous admin.

Everything is s**t. That doesn't completely absolve a lot of the blokes who are out of form and playing awful, or the coaches for choices they make, or for playing an injured cunners and jack, or what ever else we complain about. However it's some poorly needed, and oft ignored, context to this season from hell.

Everything
Is
s**t

Something’s just not right around the club. How has a red-hot, bone-crunching team become a listless, demoralised rabble in just one short Covid Isolation break? Something’s not right.
I suspect something is not right. Strange it all went pear shaped after a good win against Giants.

Because it's not just the 2 month (or however bloody long it was, I can't remember any more) layoff. It's coming back to bizarre training restrictions while 1/3rd of the staff have been shafted. It's having a giant injury list with key players. It's being forced to move out of your home in the middle of the night to some shitty airbnb join only to move, a week later, to the gold coast a for a month (wait no, for the foreseeable future). And all of this without even considering the massive weaknesses in our list thanks to the previous admin.

Everything is sh*t. That doesn't completely absolve a lot of the blokes who are out of form and playing awful, or the coaches for choices they make, or for playing an injured cunners and jack, or what ever else we complain about. However it's some poorly needed, and oft ignored, context to this season from hell.

Everything
Is
sh*t

Ironically you kinda described the history of the club. The busted arse facilities. not knowing if you're not going to get paid until the brown paper bag turns up. And still not knowing if there will be a club to play for.

We won premierships like that. I thought we were the club for which no adversity was too big.

Time for our club to remember that.

Ironically you kinda described the history of the club. The busted arse facilities. not knowing if you're not going to get paid until the brown paper bag turns up. And still not knowing if there will be a club to play for.

We won premierships like that. I thought we were the club for which no adversity was too big.

Time for our club to remember that.

It's 2020 now. No one from those eras are playing anymore. For better or worse the players have become accustomed to a serviceable environment that is there to make there nonplaying life as convenient and streamlined as possible. For most clubs that has now gone **** up. I don't want to be defeatist but I suspect our club will be one of the harder hit by this off field, because of our financial and 'small club' position compared to others. The timing has ****ed us more than most as well. First year under a new senior coach, who is new to the role, and coaching regime.

This + the state of the list after a decade of Scott and Joyce (AKA Scott's disciple, toerag, and enabler) + our injuries = where we are now.

Still should be questions asked, JZ's inclusion being one of the more glaring, but I think people need to understand where the club, staff, and players are at right now. It's not pretty.

Does he regret sacking Whitecross and Rivers as line coaches now?

Rd1 8.8.56 - 2 goals to half time
Rd2 12.8.80 - 2 goals to half time
Rd3 8.12.60 - 3 goals to half time
Rd4 8.6.54 - 4 goals to half time
Rd5 5.8.38 - 2 goals to half time
Rd6 7.11.53 - 4 goals to half time
Rd7 2.11.23 - 2 goals for the WHOLE game

We just can't score.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back