Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

So, I have been worried about Shaw, and my initial optimism has faded. I understand the way he treated Polec, who I think seems not a great bloke to have around, but was disappointed with how Brown has been treated. He is a massive drawcard for the kids especially.

I also can't understand some of the decisions he has made with players. Why Daw forward? Why Pittard forward? Why isn't Higgins in the Centre? Why Bonar in defence? And why were we so good in spurts last year but sh*t this year?

So my theory is this: He is appointed on a temporary basis last year. He lookd around and says "This list is sh*t, filled with slow plodders with limited skills, but they can probably batter their way to a few wins, but that style will not get us top-4 or GF. But if I win a few I will get the job." So he decides to let them play that way, so he wins a few (which he did) and then gets appointed. Part one done.

Then step two starts - gutting the list. He knows who he doesn't rate, not interested in the over 23's who are not above average or elite. He gets them to play a style to which most of them are unaccustomed or unable to play (defensive, high possession, high skill level stuff, hand ball chains and the like) and we start getting beaten handily. Those who are for the chop are played out of position to make room for younger players, those he is uncertain about he plays repeatedly to see if they seize the chance (as McDonald did) and a couple he wants to try out in a new role. Doesn't care about winning, doesn't care about a certain group f players (Daw, Pittard, Macmillan, Ahern).

At the end of the season, the talented under 23 group have games under their belt and cemented their place (Simpkin, LDU, Scott, Taylor) a few players have reinvented themselves (well, LMAC has) and a lot of dead wood have given Brady a reason to cut them (too many to mention). Plus two first round draft picks.

This is what I hope has happened. I am sure the greater minds on here can see many flaws with this scenario but felt like telling someone, and would like to know what others think.

Well said Ray

It's something we've not really experienced in the last 2 coaching tenures.

Calling out Brown and Polec in they way it was done was certainly new. Polec may or may not have justification but doing it with a clearly wrung out on and off field character like Brown, I wasn't wrapt with it.

Hate that I'm having to reference Brad more and more but that was a clear strength of his, he'd have never potted Brown in a personal week like that for him.

Odd people management approach for mine.

Let's not forget Brad Scott publicly rebuking our captain Swallow for flying the flag after the Hawks roughed us up. That was the beginning of the end in my eyes.

Let's not forget Brad Scott publicly rebuking our captain Swallow for flying the flag after the Hawks roughed us up. That was the beginning of the end in my eyes.
I reckon the day he cried over the Roof not being closed was the day I thought this guy is now deflecting after a comeback loss that he had no Coaching ability to stop time after time whether it be teams on a run during a game or coming home to win in the last 10 minutes.
It felt like 10 years of close losses

I reckon the day he cried over the Roof not being closed was the day I thought this guy is now deflecting after a comeback loss that he had no Coaching ability to stop time after time whether it be teams on a run during a game or coming home to win in the last 10 minutes.

Weren't they 'easy fixes'?

I didn't like the clip but that is one incident (which appears to be getting a lot of airplay in this thread) in a whole sea of incidents and issues this year.

There is a decidedly negative trend in this thread (in terms of assessment of Shaw) and I think it's being perpetuated to an extent by the repetition of the one incident that you clearly didn't like. My view is that it is being given disproportionate weight in the evolving assessment of Shaw.

Fair enough respect your opinion.

I'm not sure anyone is giving it undue weighting but so be it. There's not a chorus of sacking and paying out Shaw, but in a year when on field output is questionable then any glimpses into his operating style are going to be scrutinised in our discussions.

I am not the most astute tactical judge but Last year on face value anyway the instruction under Shaw was to hit hard and take as much ground as possible. We moved forward every chance. We moved quick. The skills still weren’t great but at speed we pressured the opposition defence and midfield. We were coached to win. This year the instruction seems to be to retain possession and hit a team mate. Try not to turn it over. But skills are still bad and because we go slow we get found out. In essence the instruction is not to lose. To me it’s black and white. Not sure why we changed.

I think Shaw has changed the game plan to expose where our players are at. Defensively especially.

Our long term issue of being unable to run both ways is going to end soon.

You can be a zippy offensive machine (Polec) and be that cherry, but if you can't cover your man when the margin is 1 point and a kick towards your man decides the game, what is the point of leaving those issues unsolved?

This is the season we needed to have and I'm glad that some players have been exposed. How can you improve if you can't observe the weaknesses of some players without a game plan that can expose that?

Like Shaw said midway through the season after another loss, "we are going to find out.. about some players".

I agree Shaw has made some errors. But the complete refusal to cover your man? That's on the players.

It looks like the list is in worse shape than it actually is but I'm sure it will improve dramatically next year.

Some players will be shown the doors and they know who they are.

Shaw has had enough of the sugar coating and wallpapers.

There's no player on the North list that "completely refuses" to cover their opponent. Get a little too loose that they can get done on the turnover? Sure.

You're a good poster mate, but ease up a tad on the rhetoric in this instance.

Why?

How can the coach have kicking players heads in when he utilizes a tactic of allowing the opposition an unmarked opponent behind the ball??!!

That's contradiction 101 straight up right there!!

IMO, these "accountability" rants are 95% bull....pause...s**t.

I agree Shaw has made some errors. But the complete refusal to cover your man? That's on the players.

It looks like the list is in worse shape than it actually is but I'm sure it will improve dramatically next year.

Some players will be shown the doors and they know who they are.

Shaw has had enough of the sugar coating and wallpapers.

There's no player on the North list that "completely refuses" to cover their opponent. Get a little too loose that they can get done on the turnover? Sure.

Why?

How can the coach be kicking players heads in when he utilizes a tactic of allowing the opposition an unmarked opponent behind the ball??!!

IMO, these "accountability" rants are 95% bull....pause...s**t.

Why?

How can the coach be kicking players heads in when he utilizes a tactic of allowing the opposition an unmarked opponent behind the ball??!!

IMO, these "accountability" rants are 95% bull....pause...sh*t.
I just hope it's not a monumental issue and it's just fatigue.

If it's Shawry, then we are in serious trouble.

I just hope it's not a monumental issue and it's just fatigue.

If it's Shawry, then we are in serious trouble.

He's been ******* about NAB style since about round 8 mate.

it could all just be a ruse, but if you think about it, the accountability stuff cannotbe taken as deadly serious whilst he continues with his game day tactics.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He made some reference to blokes not knowing their opponents or working hard enough to realise their talent. He didn't humiliate solid citizens.

Dean was far from the perfect manager but don't think he had a Ben Brown moment in his reign.

He accused Wells of not being able to play unless his body was 100%. He wasn't wrong, but apparently Wellsy wasn't too happy and let Laidley have it next time they crossed paths.

Fair enough respect your opinion.

I'm not sure anyone is giving it undue weighting but so be it. There's not a chorus of sacking and paying out Shaw, but in a year when on field output is questionable then any glimpses into his operating style are going to be scrutinised in our discussions.

I really don't think anyone should be surprised about our output. We have had somewhere between 8-12 first choice players out injured all year. Nobody can cover that level of injuries and still win - nobody.
I don't think it's as bad as it seems. I'm super happy with us finally "bottoming" out and getting a crack at the draft. That's the system the AFL has set up and if you're going to win the big one, getting top end draft talent is essential.
I can see 6-8 of the injured crew returning next year, refreshed and healthy and if our kids continue to develop, we'll be taking a few scalps in 2022 and challenging the year after that. Give Shaw another 2 years to grow and get better as a coach as well.

Clubs who have won off early draft picks (not solely this reason, but jeez it helps)
Pies 2010 - Pendles, Thomas, Reid, Brown - all first rounders.
Hawks - Lewis, Buddy, Rough, Cyril, Hodge
Tigers - Cotch, Rance, Dusty and Jack.

IMO if we have another 2 top 10 draft picks in our side with 80+ games under their belt, then we win that f*ing prelim in Perth, even with the umps slaughtering us in the second half.

I think we can safely say that whatever had a chance of going wrong this year, did.

It has honestly been that bad of a season.

I think we need to see what happens next year.

I can say this, this isn't the same team, with the same mental state and exactly the same fitness, that would annihilate finals contenders last season. The players look absolutely spent.

But, we can all agree to this, Shaw is under the microscope next year.

open roof.jpg

Something for Brad to ponder!

You have hit the bullseye dead centre snowy.

Administrations are crucial aspects of how the team evolves. It's why I keep screaming for football representation on the board. MASCULINE football representation, not effeminate stuff like JB, and "I leave the footy stuff to the footy department". Alarm bells should have gone off the moment those words were uttered.

REAL leaders and REAL achievers are polarizing figures by nature, there's no way of window dressing that fact. Have we seen anything remotely like that from our administrations since the roosistence? Kennett is a certified prick, but compare Hawthorn to us since 2007?

What a load of s**t. How polarizing is Peggy O'Neill?

Want to revisit a few of these considering the season from hell and we find ourselves void of all confidence, so many players on the scrap heap and in a fight to avoid the wooden spoon.

This definitely wasn’t the plan we all had in mind back in February.

Oh please. The players need to learn to handle criticism. If you fu** up expect to be dropped.
How else would you expect success and excellence if team instructions aren't adhered to?
This group has time and time again proven they are not to be trusted with hugs and arms around the shoulder bullshit.
The above was in relation to team selection. I have to give Rhyce credit he has dropped under performing players and he has made the tough calls which Brad didn’t do. We all must understand this is Brads team and the standards they are used to aren’t what Shaw has implemented.
This team is untrustworthy and has only come to play for 14, maybe 15 quarters max all year. That’s just not good enough and 17th is all we have to show for it.

Rhys’ strengths are evident for all to see when it comes to physical okay.
And I loved what he did in his first month in charge.
I just want to ensure we’re not getting sucked into the romantics of the decision based upon the first few weeks.
I don’t know.
I saw us lose by a 100 to St Kilda in Scott’s 2nd game.

Saw us kick 3 goals against Collingwood in a 20 goal loss.

And witnessed Buddy kick 13 goals in Tasmania.

But that, that was the worst performance I have ever seen by the football club.

I don’t know what to say. I honestly feel this list no good but good teams don’t do rebuilds - so what do we do?
In the last I thought we’d atleast break even and have some respect for the football club.

We went scoreless. There was no response. That’s alarm bells.

The issue is for Rhyce is this label will stick. He coached the club to its lowest score in history. It’s stuck.

I’m big on playing for the coach and NONE OF THEM DID
The above was after the debacle down in Geelong. The lack of attacking options and variety going forward has resulted in the inept scoring we saw that night and continue right throughout 2020. Once the honeymoon period was over and the shine had come off the first few weeks of his tenure, I didn’t like the footy we played and since then it has proven to be the norm not the exception.
We are clueless going forward and you can say we belted Port the following week but that performance was a once off.

If Shaw is to get another contract he needs to mould this team and implement a system that works and he has until June 2021 to do so. If we continue to see much of the same of the defensively poor and inept attacking footy of 2020 then he’ll be shown the door. Simple.

He deserves the chance to bring in players he likes and gets the footballers capable of carrying out his instructions into the club.
You guys are happy to smash your teammates at training and then just go stand next to a Bulldogs player

Whack

See above
The players mentally are inept. Still are and always have been
This was the first game in 2020 after a an off-season of positivity and a big season launch and the dogs smacked us.
It says to me the players arent buying in to his ethos and they are incapable of following instruction.

I think we need to give Rhyce a summer and the autumn to get some improvement. If we can’t see a system and the players don’t respond, then we try someone else.
As much as I’m just as confused as to what’s happening out there each week the cattle isn’t much. Man needs to show us something next year.

Shaw’s latest conference was kind of depressing. Didn’t give me any confidence or excitement coming into 2021

He looks deflated and gutted. When he was asked the question about how can he be confident with performances like last week and the previous games like Melb going into 2021, it seems like North are really far away etc.

He just responds with a nothing answer. No plan or goals in sight, nothing. Just we’ve made some “gains” with playing young guys and continued to talk about our injuries. He’s “confident” in the team plan. We are almost last in every aspect of the game lol

We’re kind of sick of “easy fixes” or “gains”. We want results.

I’ve been a big supporter of Shaw because I believe he has done some great things (dropping underperforming players etc.) but he looks like a fish out of water

He NEEDS some support ffs. Some experienced coaches around him. This needs to happen urgently!

Shaw’s latest conference was kind of depressing. Didn’t give me any confidence or excitement coming into 2021

He looks deflated and gutted. When he was asked the question about how can he be confident with performances like last week and the previous games like Melb going into 2021, it seems like North are really far away etc.

He just responds with a nothing answer. No plan or goals in sight, nothing. Just we’ve made some “gains” with playing young guys and continued to talk about our injuries. He’s “confident” in the team plan. We are almost last in every aspect of the game lol

We’re kind of sick of “easy fixes” or “gains”. We want results.

I’ve been a big supporter of Shaw because I believe he has done some great things (dropping underperforming players etc.) but he looks like a fish out of water

He NEEDS some support ffs. Some experienced coaches around him. This needs to happen urgently!

He's had a gutful of the season and wants life to get back to reasonable normality just like the rest of us. I saw a frustrated bloke, which is only natural, but otherwise he was on point.

The thing that jumped out at me is that he mentioned "players" when referring to trades so I reckon there's at least one in the works.

He's had a gutful of the season and wants life to get back to reasonable normality just like the rest of us. I saw a frustrated bloke, which is only natural, but otherwise he was on point.

The thing that jumped out at me is that he mentioned "players" when referring to trades so I reckon there's at least one in the works.

He needs some support around him.

we are going to look different in 2021 you’re right

He needs some support around him.

we are going to look different in 2021 you’re right

It's over now mate, and if I read him correctly all he has left to do finish this match, conduct the exit meetings, and then he can have a breather whilst Brady gets down & dirty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back