Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

The enormous self-inflicted cockpunch that was our first six weeks has ruined any chance we had of finals.
Win one of the next two and I might start to believe we're a very small chance simply due to the downright averageness (is that a word?) of the teams directly above us. Richmond, Brisbane, and Port could all plausibly fall out of the 8 the way they're going. Teams have to replace them if they do. Why not us if we can win one of the next couple?

The enormous self-inflicted cockpunch that was our first six weeks has ruined any chance we had of finals.

Yeah, you'd think so.

So if we do actually make them we'll be in blistering form and a good chance for the flag.

****ing IDIOTS down there left Nero in charge and watched an entire season burn. Unforgivable.

Good summation of 'go direct' and 'tackle' or be aggressive. Interesting to see Ziebs' tackle count numbers.

Shaw did have his own NEAFL team.

Zurhaar did play under Scott when he wasn't injured and got his Rising Star nomination under Scott in Round 7 against Carlton.

Also - tackling is a skill. You only have to compare the techniques of TT or Jed Anderson to JMac to see that.

Also - tackling is a skill. You only have to compare the techniques of TT or Jed Anderson to JMac to see that.

Thought the same but bit of column A/B on this one. The intent to tackle reveals a bit about player intent and team instruction. The execution of the tackle is down to technique.

A bit like defensive running I guess. Some players have big tanks and can do it with less effort but all players are capable of at least trying to do it.

Thought the same but bit of column A/B on this one. The intent to tackle reveals a bit about player intent and team instruction. The execution of the tackle is down to technique.

A bit like defensive running I guess. Some players have big tanks and can do it with less effort but all players are capable of at least trying to do it.

True.

Of course you can't say something like that bolded bit on this board without everyone thinking of Jmac.

There was one really bad example against Port, Crows or Carlton where Jmac went to tackle and a player embarrassed him. To me that was the clearest example of JMac having no idea how to tackle, not lacking intent. But there is an element of lack because he has no confidence in what he is doing. That will always lower your intent. I might have mentioned this at the time, but he needs someone like Jed or Taarn to teach him to tackle. Pretty sure they both have a league background and one on one tackling is a fundamental skill in rugby league. As fundamental as handball in AFL. Anyone can kick, really, even if they kick very, very badly. (I coached an U14 team with a full forward who literally couldn't run cos of polio or some other condition. He could still stand in the goal square hold his ground, mark and kick (most of the time) or handball to someone who could*.) But if you can't execute a handball you can't play footy. Tackling is that fundamental to rugby league.

* Bringing that up just to virtue signal. Here's the virtue. Its u14s and I didn't want to tell this kid "you can't play" that was gonna happen soon enough anyway so I sat him at full forward because being unable to run that's where he does the least damage. Pity I spose.

But .... kids with leg issues usually have strong upper bodies. This kid was no different. He could hold his own in a marking contest nearly on one leg. When I eventually worked this out it became a real asset. He took the strongest oppposition defender and anchored them in the goal square and usually kicked or set up a few goals.

If I was a better coach I'd have identified that immediately, been more critical and made a good full forward of him instead of just an okay one. But he gained shitloads of confidence from it.

At the start he was scared to even engage contact and let the other kids push him around but by the end he'd throw his weight into them using his good leg and body strength. I didn't criticise him enough because I was rapt to see him grow as a person. As Bard Scotts as that sounds its what most of footy is about. And he did. It was great for him. He's probably had a better life because of it.

Essentially that's noise.

Here's the signal - the ruthless attitude some people think is valuable costs this sort of thing. You don't get the benefit someone like that kid provides if you don't give them the chance and back them in. I would never have thought a kid that immobile could offer so much to a footy side but he did.

Here's another signal - the ruthless attitude that some people think is valuable would have made this kid a better player, and it wouldn't have hurt him emotionally either. (His parents might have had issues tho.) he wouldn't have had a better life necessarily but probably would be a more effective person. Maybe not tho, he was pretty switched on and it showed as he came out of his shell. Edited to add - it definitely would have made him a better footy player.

You can get more out of opposing ideas and one's you disagree with if you try to make them work together instead of against each other.

True.

Of course you can't say something like that bolded bit on this board without everyone thinking of Jmac.

There was one really bad example against Port, Crows or Carlton where Jmac went to tackle and a player embarrassed him. To me that was the clearest example of JMac having no idea how to tackle, not lacking intent. But there is an element of lack because he has no confidence in what he is doing. That will always lower your intent. I might have mentioned this at the time, but he needs someone like Jed or Taarn to teach him to tackle. Pretty sure they both have a league background and one on one tackling is a fundamental skill in rugby league. As fundamental as handball in AFL. Anyone can kick, really, even if they kick very, very badly. (I coached an U14 team with a full forward who literally couldn't run cos of polio or some other condition. He could still stand in the goal square hold his ground, mark and kick (most of the time) or handball to someone who could*.) But if you can't execute a handball you can't play footy. Tackling is that fundamental to rugby league.
JMac problem is he broad and strong in the upper body and he plants his feet and tries to engage. Just getting an arm on someone might work in training/simulations but not when they’re playing. He should be working on his footwork 1st and hunting the hips 2nd.

Rugby’s an interesting one, and probably most like Jmac, you look at all the big island boys, they’re still good with their feet. No point being able to lift a tree if you can’t get in the right position.

LatePaleAnnelida-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
JMac problem is he broad and strong in the upper body and he plants his feet and tries to engage. Just getting an arm on someone might work in training/simulations but not when they’re playing. He should be working on his footwork 1st and hunting the hips 2nd.

Rugby’s an interesting one, and probably most like Jmac, you look at all the big island boys, they’re still good with their feet. No point being able to lift a tree if you can’t get in the right position.

LatePaleAnnelida-max-1mb.gif

He lacks the confidence to get down low and drive hard at his opposition, that's why he waits, and you're probably right about the footwork side of it cos I reckon he plants his feet as he doesn't understand how to keep in motion and not commit his momentum to a line that's easy to avoid. Every time he moves he is easy to get past. That's probably why he has lost confidence. I don't think he knows how to co ordinate moving laterally while moving forward. Jy and Jed do it, so does TT, Cam Z does. Jay Z has surprised me lately with how agile he is. He must be benefitting from whatever he had done over pre season and last year on the forward line. All major tackling players. Atley can do it and tackle, when he wants to. Doesn't enough imo

He is still cos his movement is probably too easy to read.

I think you are right - he could really do with work on his footwork.

He needs to be able to tackle someone at a point between one and three metres away not where he is standing.

Not only is his footwork bad his stance for someone standing to tackle is terrible as well. Its like he is trying to protect his balls instead of trying to drag someone to the ground without getting rid of the ball.

He lacks the confidence to get down low and drive hard at his opposition, that's why he waits, and you're probably right about the footwork side of it cos I reckon he plants his feet as he doesn't understand how to keep in motion and not commit his momentum to a line that's easy to avoid. Every time he moves he is easy to get past. That's probably why he has lost confidence. I don't think he knows how to co ordinate moving laterally while moving forward. Jy and Jed do it, so does TT, Cam Z does. Jay Z has surprised me lately with how agile he is. He must be benefitting from whatever he had done over pre season and last year on the forward line. All major tackling players. Atley can do it and tackle, when he wants to. Doesn't enough imo

He is still cos his movement is probably too easy to read.

I think you are right - he could really do with work on his footwork.

He needs to be able to tackle someone at a point between one and three metres away not where he is standing.

Not only is his footwork bad his stance for someone standing to tackle is terrible as well. Its like he is trying to protect his balls instead of trying to drag someone to the ground without getting rid of the ball.
A bit off topic but I believe peyton manning had similar issues of being flat footed in high school, which lead him to be always chopping feet in the pocket.
His dancing feet kinda look a bit silly but I think it’s something Jmac should look at.
If he’s constantly moving it’ll be much easier to move, other then reacting.

He could hold his own in a marking contest nearly on one leg. When I eventually worked this out it became a real asset. He took the strongest oppposition defender and anchored them in the goal square and usually kicked or set up a few goals.

If I was a better coach I'd have identified that immediately, been more critical and made a good full forward of him instead of just an okay one.

sofa-man-glasses-facial-play-thoughtful-portrait-inside-sitting-room-middle-old-person-think-consider-satisfaction-contently-XE9BKA.jpg

Ferball: which brings me to the end of my story - and yes, his name was none other than Doug Wade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo debacle one week but I can’t believe we let Brisbane get 66 inside 50s at Docklands. 66

Like **** me how can that happen

Just facepalm level stuff. I look at the Fremantle, Brisbane and Essendon games and then look at last weekend. Now admittedly, Gold Coast have a lot more experience getting pumped than us, but it just seems pure arrogance to not be capable of doing what they did and shutting down these games and making them a bit of a war of attrition. It might not have got 3 wins, but it might have been 15-20% difference in percentage.

Not far off where I sit (from the outside in) although I wouldn't necessarily be putting a number of wins on it in the same way as King - it's more about which wins, how bad the losses and some tangible view to the future. Still, all things said and done, if we won 3/4 of the run home I don't see how you can go past Shaw.

Just facepalm level stuff. I look at the Fremantle, Brisbane and Essendon games and then look at last weekend. Now admittedly, Gold Coast have a lot more experience getting pumped than us, but it just seems pure arrogance to not be capable of doing what they did and shutting down these games and making them a bit of a war of attrition. It might not have got 3 wins, but it might have been 15-20% difference in percentage.

I'm reading you loud and clear mate.

Scott was basically playing Dr Frankenstein with an entire season of football, and we cannot dismiss the negligence of a board that was clearly asleep at the wheel as this saga played out.

They messed up badly.

A bit off topic but I believe peyton manning had similar issues of being flat footed in high school, which lead him to be always chopping feet in the pocket.
His dancing feet kinda look a bit silly but I think it’s something Jmac should look at.
If he’s constantly moving it’ll be much easier to move, other then reacting.

Yeah totally. The best boxers skip and dance all the time and its footwork that makes them.

I think people are getting a bit too ahead of themselves. I'd love for Shaw to get the gig but emotion always wears off eventually - it would be irresponsible of the club to make a decision on the coach before any review concludes and the season has finished.
We could do a Brayshaw and recruit our new coach off the back of a paid lunch.

I'm reading you loud and clear mate.

Scott was basically playing Dr Frankenstein with an entire season of football, and we cannot dismiss the negligence of a board that was clearly asleep at the wheel as this saga played out.

They messed up badly.
To be fair, they have acted a lot sooner than I thought they would (purely based on past experience), and certainly a lot sooner than the media was ready for.
Could have been a lot worse...

I think people are getting a bit too ahead of themselves. I'd love for Shaw to get the gig but emotion always wears off eventually - it would be irresponsible of the club to make a decision on the coach before any review concludes and the season has finished.

Better to do a review with a panel that includes a bloke who should be a key subject of the review instead.

(I do agree with you)

****ing IDIOTS down there left Nero in charge and watched an entire season burn. Unforgivable.

October 24th 2018

My view was that Brads latest contract renewal could only be based upon the output of the side in the next 18 months (by mid 2019).

At this point, I don't know how any rational person could be critical of his work so far.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back