Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
But our defence is so much better than Sydney’s! :mad:

Sydney's development made their backline of rookie drafted players great players

But their coaching made them a brilliant unit together and ensured they've stayed great players

I can't fault this appointment on face value

I reserve the right to call for Shaw's head at any stage next year

Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sydney's development made their backline of rookie drafted players great players

But their coaching made them a brilliant unit together and ensured they've stayed great players

I can't fault this appointment on face value

I reserve the right to call for Shaw's head at any stage next year
I’ll have a chat with his old man next Friday at the Sons of Guns book launch in Fitzroy.
Be good to know if he has aspirations to be the main man one day. I’d like that drive in all of our assistants actually

SYDNEY assistant coach Rhyce Shaw will join North Melbourne at the end of the season.

The Herald Sun can reveal the highly-rated mentor and brains behind Sydney’s well-drilled and meticulous backline has agreed on the move to Arden Street.

Shaw will be tasked with tightening up the Roos’ backline, which, at times this season, was far too easily scored against.

It ultimately punctured the club’s surprise finals hopes, with Essendon, Sydney and Western Bulldogs inflicting late-season body blows in high-scoring shootouts.

North line-breakers Marley Williams, Jamie Macmillan, Shaun Atley, Sam Wright and Ed Vickers-Willis should also benefit from the 237-game veteran’s first-hand experience.

Shaw was promoted to John Longmire’s senior panel last year, following Stewart Dew’s appointment at Gold Coast Suns, after being crowned the AFL Coaches Association’s Assistant Coach of the Year.

5695a92d68559146b7e09baab171dbfe

Rhyce Shaw comforts Alex Johnson.
The Swans premiership defender went straight into development coaching at the club after his retirement in 2015, and enjoyed immediate success, taking the NEAFL team to consecutive minor premierships and grand final appearances.

Longmire lauded Shaw’s seamless transition last year.

“Rhyce is fantastic with relationships, sensational with football knowledge and just a great asset to our football club,” Longmire said.

Shaw will replace existing backline coach Josh Drummond, who is set to move to the Gold Coast for family reasons

Rick18

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The defensive coach also has a role in team defence; so not just the back six or seven.

More general things like where you want to force ball movement, where you want certain players getting involved in defending, and those sorts of things (usually) all fall under the remit of a defensive coach.

Lol line breakers Macmillan and Wright

Spelt plodders wrong, hopefully shaw takes a stand and doesn't see those 2 in our back 6

Should be Marley Daw McKay
McDonald Tarrant EVW
Swap out Donalds boy for my boy Tom, please and thank you.

Back