Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He may not be the best or most credentialed coach, but he is the perfect coach for our list as it's currently constructed.

At most the club should be looking at bringing in a former coach, ideally Roos, in a mentoring capacity, but aside from that you'd be crazy to mess with a formula that's clearly working.

spurs

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 2, 2003
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
THFC, Claremont Tigers
I heard on 6PR radio here yesterday, that Longmire has looked at our list and Sydney’s, and right now he has decided that Sydney has a better list. I think he might’ve changed his mind last night. FWIW, I would throw everything at Clarko and if he doesn’t come (which seems likely) then let’s give Shaw 3 years. I really like him.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just thought this random post was worth a look at, from what I can gather it really states North should sign Shaw for ten years:p

Interesting thought process and I'm not 100% disagreeing as I think it will be tough to sustain over an entire season.

Sounds like the Shinboners are back in town.......

"I don't like the way North are playing though, I approve of their brilliant pressure but they are getting away with murder - deliberately injuring opponents early in the match, using elbows in the guts/chest/side, plus they get away with numerous chopping the arms and holding the man infractions that would have been paid against us. I don't think their tactics can be sustained - it is reliant on a very high fitness level and their players will begin to suffer retribution injuries and will be countered by coaches now that they realise what they're doing".

Jun 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Toronto Raptors, Arsenal FC
I think the natural talent was suppressed under Scott. If you look at our youth they have been a bit freer to try or roll the dice to take the game on. They are maturing faster than ever under Shaw

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
All about playing to strengths. When we don't have a clear out we are kicking to contests, getting numbers to the fall and beating the living sh!t out of their mids. That then either gives us the ball or creates a stoppage giving us time to set up. Simples. None of this swinging it around the d50 looking for a spare only to run into trouble and scramble out a sh!te kick.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
RHYCE Shaw wrote the number on the whiteboard in North Melbourne's rooms, waiting for his victorious players to return from acknowledging their supporters at Marvel Stadium.

Quite simply, it read: "1995."

The number was symbolic. It was the year the last time Collingwood was kept to a score as low as the 5.7 (37) it was limited to by North Melbourne on Saturday night.

Not about process or some jumble of statistics. But a simple enjoyment of vanquishing an opponent. Nice.

Dumont: "He's got really, really high standards, so he'll let you know if you're not up to scratch. But he'll also chuck his arm around you and give you all the support you need along the journey.

Interesting. Sometimes it's the things you don't say about the alternative that tell the real story.

"We love him, we just love him. Hopefully we can continue to play this way for him."

In fairness this squad were besotted with their previous coach to but it's nice they feel this way now. Hope it doesn't slide into any 'familiarity breeds contempt' territorty.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne

1:55 Mins in

"I am really big on guys training and then pulling up well, then playing, i don't like taking guys in half fit"

Just wow, he just keeps doing whats right with North. Brad would consistently play underdone, injured or out of form players over our inexperienced youth. What Shaw stands for so far is extremely important for our club going forward

I have heard enough. SIGN HIM

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
When you consider those results include 2 top 4 teams it’s even more impressive.

Not so much when I contemplate that we are an actual top 4 challenger.

Like I stated when we were running around in circles after the first month, we are a LOT better than many seem to think.

1:55 Mins in

"I am really big on guys training and then pulling up well, then playing, i don't like taking guys in half fit"

Might explain why a certain bloke hasn't been a walk up start.

Last edited:
I have heard enough. SIGN HIM
Make no mistake I want him to succeed, probably as much as you do.

We should be methodical about it.

IMO we should communicate that the situation has changed and that horse is not a say yes and you've got it type deal.

We should see who is interested in the role and pick a few and listen to what they have to say.

Every other coach is now at a disadvantage due to what Shaw is showing.
- relationships with players
- style of play
- selection process

For mine he is in the box seat.

But we should still do the other things, the review, the interviewing of potential coaches, not because we don't want Shaw, but because they are the prudent things to do.

dogboy

Team Captain
Aug 2, 2001
Perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Ascot CC, Liverpool, East Perth
This is the bloke that we need at the club for the next 5 years. I love Horse but I hate watching Sydney play and over the last month I have loved watching North play again. I really think that the club should give Rhyce a chance. He talks sense and is a whole lot less whiney that Brad was. This could change but right now North are in a happy place and it feels good.

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Make no mistake I want him to succeed, probably as much as you do.

We should be methodical about it.

IMO we should communicate that the situation has changed and that horse is not a say yes and you've got it type deal.

We should see who is interested in the role and pick a few and listen to what they have to say.

Every other coach is now at a disadvantage due to what Shaw is showing.
- relationships with players
- style of play
- selection process

For mine he is in the box seat.

But we should still do the other things, the review, the interviewing of potential coaches, not because we don't want Shaw, but because they are the prudent things to do.

Surely the review and interviewing is done if were offering Longmire mega dollars?

If we're that far advanced we're offering contracts then i dont see why we cant or shouldnt sign Shaw, provided we think he's the best available. Which i do.

Back