Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Get back in your box chook!

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
More importantly, who does he represent that would benefit from Teague not getting the job?

And even more importantly, why would anyone at Carlton, North Melbourne or on Planet Earth, care what someone with as few credibility points as Ricky Nixon has to say about anything?

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dennis Pagan said something interesting recently. I'm paraphrasing but he basically said that as coach all that matters is if the players respect you. It doesn't matter if they don't like you.

It's very early I know and I'm 100% behind Shaw but early impressions indicate that the playing group view Rhyce as someone closer to a mate rather than a respected figure.

With that said it is very important for the senior coach to build strong relationships and Shaw has certainly gone above and beyond in achieving that.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not going to regurgitate the last 5 pages of this thread.. Its time for Shaw to roll the sleeves up and start 2020 prep now. We need to move on a few assistants and bring in fresh faces. Whats the word on Alan Richardson? Any idea where he is heading? This guy impresses me as a senior assistant or mentor more so than roos. Tactically brilliant, he was very stiff at the Aints, I wouldnt have sacked him to be honest

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Meaning you're not going to go on and on about it any more?

Thank God.
Yeah mate its like we had our lowest score for years in a bloody GF..

A friggin dead rubber game and winning would’ve compromised a better draft position anyways.

I moved on at half time..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

scooby1279

Norm Smith Medallist
May 15, 2004
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
kangaroos
my concern is we seem to push too many players in defence so when we get the ball out we hack it to the wings due to no north player up the ground, one of the reason we lost to Essendon, repeated inside 50's.

my concern is we seem to push too many players in defence so when we get the ball out we hack it to the wings due to no north player up the ground, one of the reason we lost to Essendon, repeated inside 50's.

While a reasonable observation I think way too early to be reading too much into the Shaw tweaking of the gameplan. He's working with what he has at the moment when it comes to players, fitness, structures and staffing. Tough to completely change a team on the run mid season with realistically only the last week or so as "the man". I'd be surprised if 2020 doesn't look quite different across the field.

We hack it to the wings because everyone does.

Its a standard move to get the balll out of the corridor and lower the chances of turnover goals being kicked against us.

Lots of Scotts' game plan was built around denying turnovers to the opposition (and generating them then scoring from them ourselves) imo.

Its why he became so conservative in his ball movement off the backline imo.

FlyHigh18

Arden St Parking Inspector
May 8, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Dennis Pagan said something interesting recently. I'm paraphrasing but he basically said that as coach all that matters is if the players respect you. It doesn't matter if they don't like you.

It's very early I know and I'm 100% behind Shaw but early impressions indicate that the playing group view Rhyce as someone closer to a mate rather than a respected figure.

With that said it is very important for the senior coach to build strong relationships and Shaw has certainly gone above and beyond in achieving that.

Good post, I’ve wondered the same thing. Many great coaches were feared by their players. They respected that and it was a motivator. They were hardly ever ‘mates’.

However I can also see the industry coaching requirements changing when dealing with ‘millennial’ players. Their motivators are very different, so maybe this is what we need?

goalieboy82

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2007
USA
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Fairfax Kangaroos
The best possible assistant would be the bloke who you're expecting will be the next bloke in line for a senior gig. At your club or elsewhere.

Just so happened that North had both a vacancy, and the best possible candidate in the assistant role. Win / Win.

If we never had a vacancy and one came up elsewhere then our bloke getting it meant we had the best assistant.

I think the new 2020 assistant would need to be the bloke we'd want to replace Scamper if he was hit by a bus. New assistant may never get a chance at North and may even move on. But ain't nothing better than the best.
Scamper is unreplaceable.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Pagan didn't coach in an era of free agency where decent players could just leave if they were being treated miserably by coaching staff.

Good post, I’ve wondered the same thing. Many great coaches were feared by their players. They respected that and it was a motivator. They were hardly ever ‘mates’.

However I can also see the industry coaching requirements changing when dealing with ‘millennial’ players. Their motivators are very different, so maybe this is what we need?

This is a very different world we live in today. The old style coaches such as Malthouse, Pagan, Matthews, Parkin would struggle to be successful/understand today's players and their very different outlooks and attitudes on life. Motivation by fear wouldn't/shouldn't have a chance nowadays in any workplace. Both Malthouse and Pagan struggled at Carlton, in part due to their playing lists, but also they probably had both reached their use by dates before they took on their roles.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back