Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

The one big positive that cannot be discounted is that Shaw gets a crack at coming to grips with a very bad situation right now - this season. This allows him to face up to things when, really, there’s nothing at stake. Better to get this sort of experience this year than early next season.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
The one big positive that cannot be discounted is that Shaw gets a crack at coming to grips with a very bad situation right now - this season. This allows him to face up to things when, really, there’s nothing at stake. Better to get this sort of experience this year than early next season.

You know something Venezuela capital - that's a really good point.

Keeping the hope that we've nailed the right appointment in Rhyce, getting gutted open like this during the final run of dead rubbers might be for the best.

Let's say we lost 24-59 to Geelong but never really fired a shot then went on to beat Port and Melbourne. There's a danger the club gets a slightly exaggerated handle on where things are at.

But a shitshow of poor skill that left us with a record low score - can't hide from that. Sure, the players were fatigued, sure it was a tricky opponent on their deck. Sure, we did for the most part "try".

But we've sent far worse squads down the highway in the Laidley and Scott eras alone and still not posted such low scores. Ever. That's gotta sting Rhyce - or so it should.

This way he and we head into the 2020 planning phase under no illusion - our skills and game sense at times are putrid. Better exposed now than halfway into next year when it'll be far more damaging to our future.

This way he and we head into the 2020 planning phase under no illusion - our skills and game sense at times are putrid. Better exposed now than halfway into next year when it'll be far more damaging to our future.

Yep. We use aggression and physical pressure to win games - and it works plenty of the time but is extremely demanding. Imagine how good we could be if we only used that physicality to supplement a highly skilled clinical team. That would be a great team to watch - and successful IMO.

Screenshot_20190814-115325_Twitter.jpg

This is a very different world we live in today. The old style coaches such as Malthouse, Pagan, Matthews, Parkin would struggle to be successful/understand today's players and their very different outlooks and attitudes on life. Motivation by fear wouldn't/shouldn't have a chance nowadays in any workplace. Both Malthouse and Pagan struggled at Carlton, in part due to their playing lists, but also they probably had both reached their use by dates before they took on their roles.

I think the reason those coaches inspired fear wasn't fear of the coach themselves but of the fact that they were letting themselves and their team mates down and the coaches back then had little tolerance for that sort of thing.

Last night was an amazing coaching feat.

Totally, He could have panicked after last week and swung the axe - very calm.

Had an injury pre-game, brings in the only player earning it recently in the two's.

Managed two injuries during game so we had very limited rotation for 1 1/2 quarters.

Clearly it helps when your midfield fires but last night started at the final siren last week for Shaw!

Yep. We use aggression and physical pressure to win games - and it works plenty of the time but is extremely demanding. Imagine how good we could be if we only used that physicality to supplement a highly skilled clinical team. That would be a great team to watch - and successful IMO.

Honestly feel like last night was almost the perfect example of this description.

SlyCunnington

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2010
Downtown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm going to have a look at the replay over the next day or so, but I'm fairly certain we set up quite differently in the centre square last night with our positioning.

I wonder if Rick18 will have a look at that in this weeks blog?

Rick18

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 30, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm going to have a look at the replay over the next day or so, but I'm fairly certain we set up quite differently in the centre square last night with our positioning.

Didn't have the time to get to it in today's post, but I'm hoping to look at it closer tomorrow when I have a little more time to see if there was anything radically different.

I know there was a heap more movement than previous weeks though, that's for sure.

SlyCunnington

Team Captain
Jun 20, 2010
Downtown
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Didn't have the time to get to it in today's post, but I'm hoping to look at it closer tomorrow when I have a little more time to see if there was anything radically different.

I know there was a heap more movement than previous weeks though, that's for sure.
Cheers.

Love your work mate, always a great read.

I might just have been paying more attention but it felt like almost every bounce we had a different group of 4 players there. We constantly rotated between a heap of players - I felt like it helped us be a lot more unpredictable in there.

Back