Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Remove this Banner Ad

I guess what will be interesting is that we'll be a bit of a rarity in terms of coaching appointments these days.

A coach in the last year of his contract, coming of a poor season, with no runs on the board, with a mediocre list and no expectation.

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing. But it would be interesting to know what will be expected from Rhyce in the first 2/3 of next year to entertain an extension.
It's a good question. I've got an inkling that so far as list management is concerned, he'll have a lot less say than the last bloke.

Taking that into account, his performance metrics personally may be a fair bit different expectation wise.

For me, given the expected scythe that is about to drop on the list, it may all come down to a tempered expectation of ladder position. Perhaps another 4 spots up the ladder with a view to pushing for finals in 2022.

It all depends where the powers that be view where we should be talent wise and development wise.

Interesting 12 months coming up.

Wtf are you on about - the worse we are the louder YOU crow - about the excuses, the weather, the injuries, the AFL is corrupt etc etc.

Just stop with the repetitive dribble - we understand you accept the coach, the club, the board can do no wrong - accept that many on here don't play the sycophant like yourself.

No, you obviously don't understand because anyone with half a brain can see that's not my position.

You're just another f***ing whinger, always have been.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

If he effectively "burns the boats", then we might never come back at all.
I don't think if the boats are burnt, it will be him holding the matches, it will be Brady, Luff and co with the approval from the board.

I'm hoping we've learnt our lesson from the recent monumental * ups with the dearly departed.

Oh dear....it's gonna be a long off-season.

Looks that way. Hopefully we all get some good news with the delistings, trades and draft picks to get us through.

The optimists (like me) can be happy with our trades and draft picks, and the whingers can whinge about them. Win win.

Anywho......these Exit Interviews...in the Hub by the Pool....

But seriously, the logistics of this sounds awfully humiliating, if they are in the Hub and then catch a plane home together on the weekend.

Is this true re Friday or next week?
If an employer is dumb enough to let people go whilst near a swimming pool....then he deserves to be pushed in.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As bad as we have played this year I’m not blaming Shaw. Injuries plus a mediocre list doesn’t give him much of a chance.

That said, I’ve never listened to him speak and thought “wow, this bloke is impressive”. If he tries to get his message across to the players in the manner he tries to get his message across to members, he won’t make it as a coach.

Incidentally, I remember writing on bigfooty around the time he was firming as our new coach that I would be oh so predictably north Melbourne if he was hired on the back of a limited good patch of form in 2019, only to turn out to be a dud coach.

Nek minute ...........

There are couple of major problems for Shaw. The players don’t seem to be playing for him. We always used to respond after a loss, especially a bad one. Not this season. Can’t hide behind the injuries. Cunners aside, there isn’t much there that should have impacted in this way. Brown was horribly out of form prior to his injury. Same for Ziebell. Higgins, Taz and Goldy have played close to every game. Luke McDonald, LDU and young Taylor aside - who has clearly improved this season?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Luke McDonald, LDU and young Taylor aside - who has clearly improved this season?

Simpkin’s first half of the year was the best string of matches he’s played. Flattened out recently I’ll grant you.

McKay and Hayden definitely.

I guess he should be judged on 2021 as to how these guys above and Thomas, Zurhaar, Larkey, Perez etc come on.

Ahh good, talking about footy related stuff again. For a minute there I thought I was refereeing a bunch of preschoolers having a nonsensical argument.

Keep the personal stuff out or you’ll be thread banned!

Cheers

Good luck to Rhyce for what’s sure to be a massive week for him and his fortunes henceforth.

Scamper's media performances have never been great but yesterday's presser and Saturday's postmatch were the worst so far. I get that it's been a hard year and he's depressed, but it was just miserable.
- Repeatedly skipping over "it's not good enough" to keep repeating "You have to focus on the positives". No you don't! If you want spin, you focus on the positives. If you want to improve you focus on where you need to get better. The post-match was the worst, three times going back to "we got games into the kids". You already knew that on selection night, so even that straw is not a positive of the match.
- No specificity on what can be done: "We need to get better. I need to get better"
- No specificity on what we've done wrong: "I've learnt a lot." What?
- Not projecting any energy or confidence. "I um have a really um strong sense of um belief about where we um are going".

I'm presenting for a job next week and it's been extremely helpful as a model of "what not to do" to engender confidence.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Scamper's media performances have never been great but yesterday's presser and Saturday's postmatch were the worst so far. I get that it's been a hard year and he's depressed, but it was just miserable.
- Repeatedly skipping over "it's not good enough" to keep repeating "You have to focus on the positives". No you don't! If you want spin, you focus on the positives. If you want to improve you focus on where you need to get better. The post-match was the worst, three times going back to "we got games into the kids". You already knew that on selection night, so even that straw is not a positive of the match.
- No specificity on what can be done: "We need to get better. I need to get better"
- Not projecting any energy or confidence. "I um have a really um strong sense of um belief about where we um are going".

I'm presenting for a job next week and it's been extremely helpful as a model of "what not to do" to engender confidence.

I reckon it's fair to assume that they have been doing a lot of experimenting mate, and what we'll see in round 1 of 2021 won't look much like this current stuff.

There's quite a bit of stuff that he can't come out and state to the media, because of the way that they would negatively spin it.

I think it's unrealistic and unreasonable to expect specificity in press conferences. Especially since 2020 has been gone for a long time.

I would expect the specifics to be made very clear to the playing group throughout the 2021 pre-season.

The fact that he stated that he too needs to get better is a step beyond what we’ve been hearing prior to this week. Don’t need the specifics.

Fair enough. I understand that the presser is not the game and no coach can be sharing secrets publicly. Nor do I want to roast a rookie coach that's had one highly-disrupted year.

That said, we know he wants a high-pressure game and we're not delivering on it. Public statements from the coach are an opportunity to reempahsise key messages to the playing group, both in content and in style. Players need confidence in the club and in their coaches and they want to see there's a plan to follow. Right now he's not using this channel to build that confidence. If he's doing it behind closed doors, fine, but we haven't seen much evidence of it as the patterns continue and the performances keep declining.

Maybe it's not helpful for him to come out and say "everyone is exhausted and a few are not buying in" but it would be nice if he said "Everything starts from our intensity and when that's not there it's on me". Saying "we need to get better" feels eerily similar to "easy fixes".

Last edited:

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Ultimately, it's going to come down to how Shaw can get the playing group to have an everlasting hunger for a premiership.

When the list is reshaped, and the mix looks good, and we don't have as many setbacks as we did this season, there has to be confidence. There has to be something down in each player's mind telling them 'go the extra step' and make the most of the opportunities that don't come by too often.

It is something that needs to be rammed permanently in current players and the new boys that will come.

Shaw can lay out a better structure and stick to what worked last season with some tweaks in areas, but that can only help so much.

Players can't waver in effort. Like Malthouse and countless other coaches have said after a brutal Grand Final, "Leave nothing in the tank". They demand effort and demand that you play at your best. Shaw needs to follow that. Win or lose, if you did your absolute best and did what you could, then there's nothing but pride that gets you through that terrible period of missing out.

Shaw might be the right man or he could be the wrong one. We'll see.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It is too early to make any judgements on what he's capable of, and again, if the list is in worse shape than we thought then there's a lot of work to do.

As bad as we have played this year I’m not blaming Shaw. Injuries plus a mediocre list doesn’t give him much of a chance.

Shaw's speech from the Syd, go 8 minutes into it if you want to skip the preamble. He referenced the wins last year, against Richmond, Port, Collingwood and Hawks, even talked about the win against Melbourne where he said we didn't play well, but still found a way to get the job done. He wasn't talking about a mediocre list or that he believed there would be a rebuild. 2019 was meant to be a stepping stone.

Blame in the context of football is bit of a juvenile word.

Shaw isn't why we are fighting it out to avoid the spoon. Neither are the players, neither are the injuries, neither is the messed up situation caused by the pandemic. They are all contributing factors though. The players who are taking the field aren't executing, we need to forget about what isn't in our control and focus on what is.

You can create a montage of what we do well when we play good footy and what we don't do when we play bad footy and it doesn't matter how much or how little class each individual has, it doesn't matter how young or inexperienced a player is, you can and should demand the bare minimums that made us play better footy. Everyone has visible evidence of what they do and how they play when we play well. We can't sustain finals like pressure, but we can sustain a lot more pressure than what we have shown.

What we need is for a coach to create the expectation that as professionals we will come every week and we will execute the bare minimums at least and if everyone who takes the field makes that commitment and executes then we will be competitive. We wont always win, but if we chase and pressure and tackle all over the park, stop the opposition from taking uncontested marks, to feel perceived pressure and to have the courage to take the game on even if it doesn't work at times because we will win the ball back when we fail, then we will create the foundations you can build a successful team on.

I think Shaw can do it. It is a lot easier to do during a honeymoon period when players believe, it is a lot harder when you are in a slump and there is a lack of confidence.

I think addressing our list weaknesses will be the icing on the cake, but if we get a whole bunch of gun kids and we play like the crap we dished out last week then we will evolve into another Melbourne or Carlton or any other team that has a lot of talent and done nothing with them.

We must have the desire, if it takes players to do interviews and say they have desire but it is not evident by how they play then they are just lying to themselves. They do not need to say it, it will be evident when they show it.

We, as a club, have to stop making excuses for and tolerating low standards. I don't care if our team is made up of entirely 18 year olds, if you show them videos of the kind of pressure you demand they will have a crack. It is those that are comfortable that are less likely to go in hard, when there is always next week to atone. The Scott "always next week" type of attitude is why we evolved to be mediocre.

That said, I’ve never listened to him speak and thought “wow, this bloke is impressive”. If he tries to get his message across to the players in the manner he tries to get his message across to members, he won’t make it as a coach.

All that counts in the end are the results. Pagan was a proven coach but he couldn't stop Carlton playing like crap when he went there. It doesn't always work the same way with a different group of people. Shaw needs to be give the kids the tools to be successful, he also needs to be able to get them to execute on a consistent basis. I think 2021 will be a better indication than this year, but he has to address some of the major problems.

Footy is a pretty simple game, you do not need to speak like Churchill to get the message across. Players just need to understand the game plan and have confidence that doing what is asked of them will work. If someone could explain to me how our trying to get the ball out of the defensive 50 is some kind of system which will give us a strong chance of scoring actually works then I would be stoked because it looks like we don't know what we are doing and that can't just be only an external observation.

I think we have a lack of a split from the Scott era, Shaw has just tweaked a few things and relied on pressure, but when the pressure wasn't there then the mechanics of the Scott game plan have been exposed as being a bottom four-esque type of game plan. We need a top four type of game plan. Look how well Freo defend even though they are missing their core defenders, how they move the ball out of their defensive 50. I am specifically not using a top 4 team as a comparison to highlight you can be largely a young/s**t team and still have a robust system, despite their injury setbacks to their key defenders they concede less than some top 8 sides.

We have a lot of players who are defensively unaccountable.

Incidentally, I remember writing on bigfooty around the time he was firming as our new coach that I would be oh so predictably north Melbourne if he was hired on the back of a limited good patch of form in 2019, only to turn out to be a dud coach.

Nek minute ...........

Our "in-depth process" was to ask Clarkson, Simpson and Longmire (who were all contracted) if they wanted the job and when they knocked us back went with the caretaker instead of evaluating all the available coaches at the time. That is typical of the modern North. You don't need to be Nostradamus to predict we could * things up by doing it half-arsed.

Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Shaw's speech from the Syd, go 8 minutes into it if you want to skip the preamble. He referenced the wins last year, against Richmond, Port, Collingwood and Hawks, even talked about the win against Melbourne where he said we didn't play well, but still found a way to get the job done. He wasn't talking about a mediocre list or that he believed there would be a rebuild. 2019 was meant to be a stepping stone.

Blame in the context of football is bit of a juvenile word.

Shaw isn't why we are fighting it out to avoid the spoon. Neither are the players, neither are the injuries, neither is the messed up situation caused by the pandemic. They are all contributing factors though. The players who are taking the field aren't executing, we need to forget about what isn't in our control and focus on what is.

You can create a montage of what we do well when we play good footy and what we don't do when we play bad footy and it doesn't matter how much or how little class each individual has, it doesn't matter how young or inexperienced a player is, you can and should demand the bare minimums that made us play better footy. Everyone has visible evidence of what they do and how they play when we play well. We can't sustain finals like pressure, but we can sustain a lot more pressure than what we have shown.

What we need is for a coach to create the expectation that as professionals we will come every week and we will execute the bare minimums at least and if everyone who takes the field makes that commitment and executes then we will be competitive. We wont always win, but if we chase and pressure and tackle all over the park, stop the opposition from taking uncontested marks, to feel perceived pressure and to have the courage to take the game on even if it doesn't work at times because we will win the ball back when we fail, then we will create the foundations you can build a successful team on.

I think Shaw can do it. It is a lot easier to do during a honeymoon period when players believe, it is a lot harder when you are in a slump and there is a lack of confidence.

I think addressing our list weaknesses will be the icing on the cake, but if we get a whole bunch of gun kids and we play like the crap we dished out last week then we will evolve into another Melbourne or Carlton or any other team that has a lot of talent and done nothing with them.

We must have the desire, if it takes players to do interviews and say they have desire but it is not evident by how they play then they are just lying to themselves. They do not need to say it, it will be evident when they show it.

We, as a club, have to stop making excuses for and tolerating low standards. I don't care if our team is made up of entirely 18 year olds, if you show them videos of the kind of pressure you demand they will have a crack. It is those that are comfortable that are less likely to go in hard, when there is always next week to atone. The Scott "always next week" type of attitude is why we evolved to be mediocre.

All that counts in the end are the results. Pagan was a proven coach but he couldn't stop Carlton playing like crap when he went there. It doesn't always work the same way with a different group of people. Shaw needs to be give the kids the tools to be successful, he also needs to be able to get them to execute on a consistent basis. I think 2021 will be a better indication than this year, but he has to address some of the major problems.

Footy is a pretty simple game, you do not need to speak like Churchill to get the message across. Players just need to understand the game plan and have confidence that doing what is asked of them will work. If someone could explain to me how our trying to get the ball out of the defensive 50 is some kind of system which will give us a strong chance of scoring actually works then I would be stoked because it looks like we don't know what we are doing and that can't just be only an external observation.

I think we have a lack of a split from the Scott era, Shaw has just tweaked a few things and relied on pressure, but when the pressure wasn't there then the mechanics of the Scott game plan have been exposed as being a bottom four-esque type of game plan. We need a top four type of game plan. Look how well Freo defend even though they are missing their core defenders, how they move the ball out of their defensive 50. I am specifically not using a top 4 team as a comparison to highlight you can be largely a young/sh*t team and still have a robust system, despite their injury setbacks to their key defenders they concede less than some top 8 sides.

We have a lot of players who are defensively unaccountable.

Our "in-depth process" was to ask Clarkson, Simpson and Longmire (who were all contracted) if they wanted the job and when they knocked us back went with the caretaker instead of evaluating all the available coaches at the time. That is typical of the modern North. You don't need to be Nostradamus to predict we could fu** things up by doing it half-arsed.

You know what Tas, sometimes I wish you’d explain yourself a bit more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back