Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

SammyRoo

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
On the Press conference performances.....

Originally I was not liking Rhyce’s deflated persona.

...but then I thought would I prefer the Simon Goodwin, John Worsfold rubbish post a bad loss?:
  • “We are going in the right direction”
  • “We know what we need to fix
  • “some good signs out there “
Blah, Blah, Blah....

As Dennis Pagan used to day - “Don’t piss on my leg and tell me it’s raining”

Reality is .... You’re on a hiding to nothing no matter what you say at the post match presser when 3 from 16 games.

Read my prior posts. The list is terrible. He has another draft and another pre-season to turn things around. Why do you think he was only offered 2 years originally?
Were not going to extend his contract if were sitting bottom 2 in June. Guarantee it.
It's not without young talent though and I'm just not going to go full bore on a first year coach after a once in 100 year seasonal anomaly. Among other things of course. Also, it's not his list.

I'm not having a go, I just think he needs to be cut some serious slack, all things given.

I'm not saying he isn't totally void from criticism, I just think that criticism needs a little tempering, but of course everybody sees it differently.

Just on the contract length as Taz aluded to, I think it's prudent management from the board. 2 yrs was a good call, given inexperience, etc. Puts a little pressure on him, but it doesn't automatically mean he gets the arse if we don't make finals next year either after the anomaly of 2020, quality of list, expectation of 2021 after delistings, drafting, etc.

It's not without young talent though and I'm just not going to go full bore on a first year coach after a once in 100 year seasonal anomaly. Among other things of course. Also, it's not his list.

I'm not having a go, I just think he needs to be cut some serious slack, all things given.

I'm not saying he isn't totally void from criticism, I just think that criticism needs a little tempering, but of course everybody sees it differently.
I think were agreeing on all points here. Rhyce shouldnt be punished for inheriting Brads list.
He deserves time and this summer to work with the new acquisitions and the existing core.
The formline of late 2019 and 2020 doesnt bode well and if it continues in 2021 I cant see the board extending.

Clarko and Horse arent going to be sacked and Matthew Nicks has shown he can get his side to perform. Out of all the 1st year coaches in 2020 he would be most under the pump heading into 2021 with Goodwin.

We tend to forget that last year he was doing a lot of list management work, interviews, etc due to Brady being unavailable. Very demanding for a rookie coach.
He looks fatigued
Thankfully he’ll have a lot more support this post season and he can recharge the batteries.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Do people seriously think that Corr, Williams and Saad are going to make us a top 8 side?

Yes. No. Maybe. Who knows. We aren't making the top 8 without addressing the midfield problems. However, I think our best 22 can be competitive, we have zero depth in terms of players that will hold up, this year has shown that.

Our back 6 could look like:
FB: McDonald (25) McKay (23) Corr (26)
HB: Saad (26) Tarrant (31) Williams Z. (26)

All three are just one year older than McDonald and all of our mature defenders with the exception of Tarrant and McDonald have some glaring deficiencies. This would be a pretty strong back 6, if it panned out that way.

Our problem is the midfield:

C: Polec* Simpkin Higgins*
Fol: Goldstein Cunnington LDU

Polec and Higgins for lack of a better term, have been defensively unaccountable. Structure is a big problem, once the ball gets on the outside the opposition can more or less jog unimpeded into their forward 50.

We have some talented young kids but they seem to be on the NMFC Jenny Craig diet...
Simpkin 172cm 75kg
Will Walker 186cm 78kg
Thomas 189cm 74kg
Taylor 187cm 78kg
Scott 186cm 73kg
Mahony 176cm 70kg

I've eaten pasta that is thicker than the arms and legs of our kids, some have been in our system 3 to 4 years.

It is no wonder the majority of them exited this season horizontally. We are lightweight even by school footy standards. Neale for Brisbane is a midget at 177cm and teams (including us) try and beat him up, but he is a 85kg midget, he can hold up to the punishment.

I love the way Anderson goes about it but he is also small and can barely play 70% of games. Dumont has one pace and that pace isn't blazing. We need mids that can run and put pressure on and then run aggressively forward when we have the ball, we can at best only carry one turtle in the middle and that would be Cunnington as he is a first rate extractor. Anyone else who can't run, can't pressure, aren't making space in the midfield for the defenders to kick into and leading to be options for defenders to kick to have to go.

Hopefully, we get two elite midfield options with our first two draft picks and have a look a few metro boys to fill up some space. Simpkin and LDU took big steps forward this year, I think they can continue to develop. Hopefully the club gets the protein shakes out over the pre-season and we have a few who can string more than a handful of games before breaking down or hitting the wall.

I think we could have the talent in a pre-season or two, especially if we can use our cap space to get some better quality mature aged players. We obviously haven't been doing enough right up until now. Skills are bad, pressure is bad, development hasn't improved a lot, we are slow to get substantial consistent output from our kids and most of them aren't built to handle a high pressure, high tackling, stoppage heavy brand of footy.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Do people seriously think that Corr, Williams and Saad are going to make us a top 8 side?

An injury free run, soft draw, and the addition of those 3 could have us competing for a top 8 spot.

BUT...is that what we are aiming for? Rawlings has stated that we are in for some short term pain to get where we want to be. My assumption is that where we want to be isn’t fluffing around the periphery of the finals for the next 3 years, lose our 4 gun veterans, then fall back to obscurity.

shimaburnsgrieg

Premiership Player
Apr 1, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
An injury free run, soft draw, and the addition of those 3 could have us competing for a top 8 spot.

BUT...is that what we are aiming for? Rawlings has stated that we are in for some short term pain to get where we want to be. My assumption is that where we want to be isn’t fluffing around the periphery of the finals for the next 3 years, lose our 4 gun veterans, then fall back to obscurity.
Agree - and that will be the difference with this 'rebuild' compared to other 'resets' and the like.

No longer aiming for 9th and calling that success - rather, building a list capable of sustaining a serious run at the top 2 over a period of years.

Getting FA's in is an important part of any rebuild - you cant do it via the draft alone - you need depth and maturity of players hence why Brady said we will be using all avenues to rebuild - no one should be surprised by having our name attached to a number of FA's.

Better injury management and on field leadership are the 2 other critical factors - without this we wont get out the bottom 4-6 anytime soon.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Exactly - it's not what we should be aiming for & I'm confident Brady gets that. Rhyce's 2 year contract does concern me though, last thing we need is climbing to mid-table next year to get him another year...

It's a different story if we nail Pick 2, 9 & 2x 2021 first rounders, because then our group of u22 goes from promising to really strong.

Corr lifts the maturity of the depth of the back line but is unlikely to have a hugely tangible effect on the output.

Williams and Saad would have a much bigger impact on our style of play.

It will also free up luke to move further up the field and hunt the ball a bit more. If he can transition to a role more in the centre of the ground than in the backline it would again make our play look a lot better, perhaps even on occasion attacking.

Cunnington back will have a significantly bigger impact than any of those if we are to sign them. We have spent years building a side around him.

A forward line which contains Ben Brown and Nick Larkey week in week out will also have a significant impact.

I do not really adhere to the idea that we are some craptacular basket case.

People keep saying oh you can't point to injuries, we lost the guy who we built the side around and the guy who had kicked most of our goals (first to poor form then to injury, and we saw him play with our emerging forward what once?). It is not an excuse for lack of effort or whatever but it is certainly a reason that confidence has continued to ebb away over the season.

I see us as mid 6 next year. Finals not off the table but I have some big doubts that we will be as poorly as we have been this year.

Ether

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Simpkin 172cm 75kg
Will Walker 186cm 78kg
Thomas 189cm 74kg
Taylor 187cm 78kg
Scott 186cm 73kg
Mahony 176cm 70kg
I suspect that those weights aren't current. (I know they're what's listed on the club web site.) Some of them are what I recall from when they were drafted and some, presumably all, have put on muscle since then.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Corr lifts the maturity of the depth of the back line but is unlikely to have a hugely tangible effect on the output.

Williams and Saad would have a much bigger impact on our style of play.

It will also free up luke to move further up the field and hunt the ball a bit more. If he can transition to a role more in the centre of the ground than in the backline it would again make our play look a lot better, perhaps even on occasion attacking.

Cunnington back will have a significantly bigger impact than any of those if we are to sign them. We have spent years building a side around him.

A forward line which contains Ben Brown and Nick Larkey week in week out will also have a significant impact.

I do not really adhere to the idea that we are some craptacular basket case.

People keep saying oh you can't point to injuries, we lost the guy who we built the side around and the guy who had kicked most of our goals (first to poor form then to injury, and we saw him play with our emerging forward what once?). It is not an excuse for lack of effort or whatever but it is certainly a reason that confidence has continued to ebb away over the season.

I see us as mid 6 next year. Finals not off the table but I have some big doubts that we will be as poorly as we have been this year.

I hope we aren’t as bad. We’ve been poor pretty much since Rd 2, bar the Brisbane game. Beyond bad a lot of the time. Looking back, every red flag and alarm should have gone off when we were 2-0 and fell to our nemesis, again, on our own dung heap. Then backed that up with a shocker against a very poor Hawthorn side.

And I think you’re right about building our side around Cunnington and Brown. Problem is when we build around 2 players it takes 1 injury and a loss of form to the other for the whole thing to turn to s**t. We need input from a larger number to cover injuries and loss of form. Add to that Cunnington turns 30 next year. How much longer can we hold him up as the talisman of the midfield? Will Brown regain form?

If we’re going to become a great team again, assuming that is what the aim is, then we need to keep giving responsibility to the Simpkin and under crew, add specific free agents, with guidance from the Big 4 over the next couple of years. That may mean we take some lumps along the way.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

As I’ve said before. Shaw needs some help.

How DARE this HACK attempt to think that she could look at the world from the perspective of a North supporter?!

Her entire life is one great big LIE acted out as a stage play.

1600299621343.png

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
How DARE this HACK attempt to think that she could look at the world from the perspective of a North supporter?!

View attachment 963368

What did she say? Just had brekky. Afraid I’ll bring it up if I watch her right now.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
What did she say? Just had brekky. Afraid I’ll bring it up if I watch her right now.

You're gunna have to, because I'll throw up typing it out.

We're down and they are lining up to kick us.

paraphrasing it was about being a North supporter and it being difficult to watch us play was badly as we are and Shaw relay it as badly as he is.

As a side note, this North supporter is acutely aware that Rhyce is in his first year and had to endure a year like we have never seen before.

This season is Murphy's law incarnate. Even up until tonight where we play a home game at a ground that we play just about our worst football at.

I am very interested to see what the result of Annus Horribilis is. Reckon we will have a pretty crystal understanding of where we are and where he is at by around round 8 next year. 2 solid months of footy after a whole preseason to reset with an largely adjusted list and new talent coming in and a refresh of the support around Rhyce.

I suspect that those weights aren't current. (I know they're what's listed on the club web site.) Some of them are what I recall from when they were drafted and some, presumably all, have put on muscle since then.

They have to update the players stats at the start of the year after the pre-season I think, there will be some fluctuation during the season as there is with all players but most of the season is management type of work, nobody is stacking kilos on during the season.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Of course Corr, Williams and Saad could elevate us into the 8 if our list is healthy and they fill or strengthen roles we're lacking in.

Nobody here was calling us bottom 2 at the end of 2019 and the flipside is just as many things could go right and it could swivel the other way too.

Not predicting it will but every option is feasibly in play when a new season starts.

When the day Denis Pagan took over I don't think anyone in the land would've had us as a flag threat inside 3 months.

Anything is possible.

sbdan

Cancelled
Apr 26, 2005
FNQ
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Rooboys

View attachment 963368
I didn't have any problems with Caro in that interview at all, I thought was a pretty good sum up of the pressure on first year coaches.

And Shaw does look dejected.

Back