Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
They’re in the top 4, 6-1 at home, only going down to Collingwood when they were flying. It’s pretty close.

If it isn't one yet, then it's going to become one soon enough.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Brisbane have nailed the youth vs experience balance perfectly. Who is their list manager?

EDIT - some chap called Dom Ambrogio.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Brisbane have nailed the youth vs experience balance perfectly. Who is their list manager?

EDIT - some chap called Dom Ambrogio.

............after 9 straight years of finishing no higher than 12th, and with a very nice academy bonus?

I don't see any elite list management going on here.

Speaking of Brisbane, it's notable that most of their goals are scored in a similar fashion, with smalls running into open goal from close range. It is something that can be countered by playing a smaller back 6 and obviously limiting the number of their deep entries. They will start favorites against anyone at the Gabba these days.

Brady?

Reckon he's up to it and I don't understand why you would think he isn't. His record as a guy who steps up to every single challenge and making a success of it is there for all to see.

Why wouldn't we back him in now?
The only thing he couldnt do was kick the ball but it seems we have had a plethora of those over the years LOL ;) And he doesnt have to do that anymore anyway

People outside of North Melbourne probably don't care about the club’s hatred of Essendon, and that’s because they’re not North Melbourne people.

The same people probably don't care about the “Shinboner” spirit either, and that’s because they don’t understand it.

In the brief period under Shaw, the Shinboner attitude is very much alive and flourishing.
He’s unlocked the spirit underpinning performance and it’s why, when John Longmire rejects North’s overtures to coach the team in 2020, which is widely anticipated, Shaw will be installed as the full-time senior coach.

He gets it Rhyce, or has one insider said this week, has the Shinboner spirit got him?

Whatever the case, it's becoming increasingly likely there won't be a “process” to look a for new coach.

Because the new coach is already there.

“They have all grown a leg under Rhyce Shaw,” Brereton said.

“He's done nothing wrong.”

He says there’s style, strategy and toughness in football.

“You need toughness,” he said.

“Ability is king, your ability to play the game is king, but when there’s two players with the same ability, which one wins the contest? The tougher, the harder, the nastier, the one who creates more carnage for his team.

“There are very few premiership teams ever that you look at and say, they were softish.”

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If we go 0-3 from here I'll concede he might not be ready yet. Depends how we play of course.
But win 1 and play well in 2, he's gotta be unlucky to miss out.
Win 2 and there has to be a contract on his desk when he gets home from Perth.

regardless we should give him some more time and establish even better relationships with the club, players and coaches

Imagine if we had him from round 1

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Made some bad calls.

Dropping Durdin prevented Thompson from taking Stringer which had a flow on effect.

Shoulda moved Williams to AMT at half time.

Needed another mid rotation or hit up option. Neither Hrovat or Taylor could provide that.

Still doing an impressive job.

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Selection was a definite negative. A mid down a significant problem that wasn't able to be overcome.

Allowing *'s HB's to move freely through the corridor also a negative.

Has been impressive but this week not his best effort.

Our boys were corridor side of their opponents at almost all times. Just piss weak tackling efforts meant it counted for nil.

I was keeping track of the corridor issue due to good friday.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He made his first utensil up this week, let’s see if he learns from it?

He made this game tougher than it needed to be with an ordinary night at the selection table.

Let’s hope the boys respond against Brisbane, because he let a golden opportunity slip today to make it close to a lock.
So if Jmac keeps getting a game this year in your belief should he get the job if we lost it at the selection table.

Aug 25, 2006
Mount Waverley
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I will have serious doubts about where he thinks we are heading if we keep dipping into the McMillan and Hrovat well, instead of seeing what some of our depth can bring?

A player like Hosie should be given game time and I wouldn’t be against dropping Goldy to see if Campbell can be the number 1 ruck?

Godly may be gone next year, so let’s see if we need to look for another ruckman or if Campbell can fill a need?

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I will have serious doubts about where he thinks we are heading if we keep dipping into the McMillan and Hrovat well, instead of seeing what some of our depth can bring?

A player like Hosie should be given game time and I wouldn’t be against dropping Goldy to see if Campbell can be the number 1 ruck?

Godly may be gone next year, so let’s see if we need to look for another ruckman or if Campbell can fill a need?

In an ideal world we could just fusion dance Goldy and Campbell.

Looking forward to it to be honest. No lack of pressure and tackles pls

Every week we'll learn something.

We need a good showing in the next fortnight.

Brisbane is going to be a bloody hard task.

Honestly if I was rating our chances I probably give us more against Geelong.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Big fortnight coming up

Now we're not really playing for finals I'm looking forward to it. Nothing to lose. Let's find out a bit about what Rhyce is really about. His team were ordinary yesterday, but good enough to stay in it, and then bad enough to balls it up. He was out-coached and I suspect his players didn't stick to plans. Senior players didn't step up. Younger players didn't show much. He'll start the next two games as clear underdogs and in enemy territory.

We wanted a coaching audition? We have a coaching audition.

Now we're not really playing for finals I'm looking forward to it. Nothing to lose. Let's find out a bit about what Rhyce is really about. His team were ordinary yesterday, but good enough to stay in it, and then bad enough to balls it up. He was out-coached and I suspect his players didn't stick to plans. Senior players didn't step up. Younger players didn't show much. He'll start the next two games as clear underdogs and in enemy territory.

We wanted a coaching audition? We have a coaching audition.

IMO it's also clear we've hit a bit of a flat spot in terms of physicality. It's not something that you can just do every week.

If Rhyce is the man I want him to start setting standards now.

I'm interested to see how we move forward, especially in games that realistically don't mean a lot.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
IMO it's also clear we've hit a bit of a flat spot in terms of physicality. It's not something that you can just do every week.

If Rhyce is the man I want him to start setting standards now.

I'm interested to see how we move forward, especially in games that realistically don't mean a lot.

Yep. The physicality has been fantastic but went missing yesterday. Toughness is great, but need something else when it falls away for moments, quarters, games, weeks.

Back