Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was pi**ed with tonight's game too but let's not start rewriting history, it was our lowest score in VFL/AFL history that started 94 years ago, looking through some VFA games between 1897 and 1924 we score 14 or less 8 times with our worst score in 1900 being 0.5.5 against Footscray, I am pretty sure prior to 1897 we would have scored under 14 a few more times too
Thanks for that. The repeated reference to worst score in 150 years was getting to me and I was about to dig out The North Story to check on VFA results but you have done it for me

roo blitz

All Australian
Mar 4, 2007
melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Typical knee-jerk reactionary bull twang that's reflective of all AFL commentary these days. Yep, last night was abysmal. It will sit in the record books for probably the rest of my lifetime as one of the most dire performances the club has ever put in. Go hard in the criticism of it and those involved in it because it is warranted. Any defence of that game, or attributing blame elsewhere, seems a little naïve when you've scored 1.8.

BUT any extrapolation to definitive comments about Rhyce Shaw's overall coaching ability (good or bad) and the long term future of the club (good or bad) are a stretch. Would the club appoint him on the back of that? Who knows or cares? They did appoint him after getting touched up in Perth. Last week it was a masterstroke. This week it's LOL Norf. Last week Geelong lost so "OMG! They're only on top by percentage!" this week they're talking about home finals again. Last week Hawthorn's finals chances were dashed and all that was left was a week long conversation on how to retire off their players. This week Clarko's a genius again and with the Suns next week, they're finals bound. Over at *, it was plain sailing two weeks ago with 5 straight wins under their belt. Now the front page screams for Woosha to be sacked.

Losing used to be just losing. Now it's some catastrophic calamity that rocks football clubs to the core. Losing one game badly is iron clad evidence that a club has gone off the rails and that every decision in recent history has been the result of gross incompetence. Well, only until next week.

Is Rhyce the guy to get us to our next golden era? I dunno. Was last night good for him? Of course not, it was a pathetic performance. Were the club wrong to appoint him? Who knows. He took over a team who were 2-7 in 2019, and who'd won only 23 of their last 66. Truth is, we aren't that good. But he has time to make us good. One game won't make a difference. Let's do what hardly anyone does these days - let's see how this plays out.
Probably the most sensible post ever written on this site. Well done

The chorus

All Australian
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was at the game and have just thawed out now. It was far from the worst North performance I have seen, although the last quarter was disappointing. I go to a lot of Geelong home games and it is a difficult venue for opposition teams, especially in conditions like last night. Scoring only 14 points makes it sound worse than it was. This year I was there when Geelong beat Melbourne by 80 points and West Coast by 58 points and those games were over by half time- we were competitive until well into the third quarter. We have had a hard run of games, have a few guys playing sore and have a lot of players unavailable for selection

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I was at the game and have just thawed out now. It was far from the worst North performance I have seen, although the last quarter was disappointing. I go to a lot of Geelong home games and it is a difficult venue for opposition teams, especially in conditions like last night. Scoring only 14 points makes it sound worse than it was. This year I was there when Geelong beat Melbourne by 80 points and West Coast by 58 points and those games were over by half time- we were competitive until well into the third quarter. We have had a hard run of games, have a few guys playing sore and have a lot of players unavailable for selection

The ground is a massive advantage to them, and it's also why they'll be 5 goals worse off in the finals.

Chris Scott knows this also, and it's why they are prepared to sacrifice children to get finals played there.

They were fighting for a top of the ladder place, and how many were there last night? 21,500? They are a paper tiger.

The AFL should shut that bowling alley down altogether.

It’s been a massive month for the club, there are a few players that are looking cooked.

Judge Shaw on the results of 2020.

2019 is irrelevant as far as results go. Brad f’ed this season a long time ago.

Season was f***ed by the first half of the first game.

2020 criteria to judge Shaw:
- we get to round 1 ready to play
- we're legitimately in the hunt for finals or make them
- no 10 goal losses
- % over 100
- establish a clear playing style
- stricter selection policy

I would say finals are a minimum based on the list, however, it may take some time for us to settle into what he wants to achieve. Hence the quantifier.

I was pi**ed with tonight's game too but let's not start rewriting history, it was our lowest score in VFL/AFL history that started 94 years ago, looking through some VFA games between 1897 and 1924 we score 14 or less 8 times with our worst score in 1900 being 0.5.5 against Footscray, I am pretty sure prior to 1897 we would have scored under 14 a few more times too
Thank god - I feel so much better now. Our worst score in 94 years sounds so much better.

Typical knee-jerk reactionary bull twang that's reflective of all AFL commentary these days. Yep, last night was abysmal. It will sit in the record books for probably the rest of my lifetime as one of the most dire performances the club has ever put in. Go hard in the criticism of it and those involved in it because it is warranted. Any defence of that game, or attributing blame elsewhere, seems a little naïve when you've scored 1.8.

BUT any extrapolation to definitive comments about Rhyce Shaw's overall coaching ability (good or bad) and the long term future of the club (good or bad) are a stretch. Would the club appoint him on the back of that? Who knows or cares? They did appoint him after getting touched up in Perth. Last week it was a masterstroke. This week it's LOL Norf. Last week Geelong lost so "OMG! They're only on top by percentage!" this week they're talking about home finals again. Last week Hawthorn's finals chances were dashed and all that was left was a week long conversation on how to retire off their players. This week Clarko's a genius again and with the Suns next week, they're finals bound. Over at *, it was plain sailing two weeks ago with 5 straight wins under their belt. Now the front page screams for Woosha to be sacked.

Losing used to be just losing. Now it's some catastrophic calamity that rocks football clubs to the core. Losing one game badly is iron clad evidence that a club has gone off the rails and that every decision in recent history has been the result of gross incompetence. Well, only until next week.

Is Rhyce the guy to get us to our next golden era? I dunno. Was last night good for him? Of course not, it was a pathetic performance. Were the club wrong to appoint him? Who knows. He took over a team who were 2-7 in 2019, and who'd won only 23 of their last 66. Truth is, we aren't that good. But he has time to make us good. One game won't make a difference. Let's do what hardly anyone does these days - let's see how this plays out.
Can’t escape the fact this was our lowest score ever. Not just a regular ‘had a crack but not good enough’ loss. I don’t know if Shaw is the right bloke either but a full season next year will give us a good guide. Lets see which players improve, how does he tweek the game plan, how much we have a crack etc etc. Statistically last night was our worst effort ever. Can’t dispute that. How much does it matter? Not sure yet.

Jul 19, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
GRM, Williams
That abomination was a reality check and a necessary loss to provide an utter crap baseline. It is better that this utter crap baseline is at the end in 2019 than at an inopportune time in the 2020 season. It will make Rhyce’s mind spin and will generate plan B’s and C’s etc. He will be deeply uncomfortable this week as will be the players. Good.

Last edited:
That abomination was a reality check and a necessary loss to provide a utter crap baseline. It is better that this utter crap baseline is at the end in 2019 than at an inopportune time in the 2020 season. It will make Rhyce’s mind spin and will generate plan B’s and C’s etc. He will be deeply uncomfortable this week as will be the players. Good.

Almost my exact take.

I'd prefer a craptacular performance like that in a season that was f***ed from the start rather than when it might actually mean something.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
They did make an effort - they just butchered the ball and every single shot on goal that came from that effort then hit the wall flat out. It was a s**t performance but it was nowhere near as bad as what we dished up in round 1 this year with a full list and zero excuses.
We were missing Jed and Thompson who are both important to our game style, even under Brad.

I'd say it was 'as bad.'

Regardless of comparisons, on paper there's no way we should have dished up last night's performance.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Almost my exact take.

I'd prefer a craptacular performance like that in a season that was f***ed from the start rather than when it might actually mean something.

It could be the game like the 1993 pre-season game in Adelaide which was disastrous at the time, but now we look back almost fondly at it as the ground zero game where everything got better from then on.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
That abomination was a reality check and a necessary loss to provide a utter crap baseline. It is better that this utter crap baseline is at the end in 2019 than at an inopportune time in the 2020 season. It will make Rhyce’s mind spin and will generate plan B’s and C’s etc. He will be deeply uncomfortable this week as will be the players. Good.
It's like Brad says 'Your good performances are never as good as they seem, and your bad performances are never as bad as they seem.' He also says 'You learn more from your losses then you do from your wins.'

We're all good here.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
It could be the game like the 1993 pre-season game in Adelaide which was disastrous at the time, but now we look back almost fondly at it as the ground zero game where everything got better from then on.
...err, we then got rid of a coach. We hadn't just appointed one.

It'd be absolutely crystal clear that there is a lot of work to do.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
In all seriouslyness, it was putrid and embarrassing stuff and those with Shaw framed rose-coloured glasses might need to get them cleaned.

And/but, I'm no more willing to write him off after this than I was to claim him the messiah after our Richmond and Collingwood wins. He's shown promise, he's been appointed, let's see how he reacts both next week and next year.

200.gif

Last edited:

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
It also wasn't the third away game in 22 days against one of the top 3 teams each of whom having a significant home ground advantage.
That's irrelevant to the comparison YOU made mm or more particularly to the context.

I think it shows how much crap Rhyce has to undo that Brad let fester over the past decade.

Don't think anyone is making excuses for that performance but there were several factors that contributed to that, some but not all attributed to Rhyce.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I think it shows how much crap Rhyce has to undo that Brad let fester over the past decade.

Don't think anyone is making excuses for that performance but there were several factors that contributed to that, some but not all attributed to Rhyce.

I am going to judge him on his 2020/2021 years. Let him settle in, Rawlings in, new assistant etc. This year is a ******* write off

I’m still confident in Shaw’s appointment but watching that game last night was putrid. We Looked extremely dysfunctional but the playing group is no doubt cooked

Shaw looked particularly deflated in his presser. Didn’t really speak about “how we should play” or “standards” it was more about how good Geelong was...

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
We certainly can't blame Rhyce for the structural & list issues at the moment.

Rightly or wrongly we're a team that is structured to play at Docklands, and the Corio bowl vs Geelong, or the Eagles at Optus, is as far away from our setup as you can get.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We certainly can't blame Rhyce for the structural & list issues at the moment.

Rightly or wrongly we're a team that is structured to play at Docklands, and the Corio bowl vs Geelong, or the Eagles at Optus, is as far away from our setup as you can get.

Nah we can’t. If only he had us from the end of 2018

I still think our list is capable of finals

Mar 23, 2001
Forever Death riding *
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wildcats/Pacers/Chelsea/Scorchers
Absolutely, Shaw is a rookie coach the learnings from that game will be invaluable going forward.

Apart from the s**t conditions, the umpires borderline cheating (yes you Razor ya flog) at one stage we had Jed, Jy and TT in the guts up against Dangersook, Duckwood ans Duncan - about 100 total games of experience against 700 games...

Shaw is developing on the run already.

Half this board wanted us to tank a few weeks ago (and I was one of them) so the loss last night doesn’t stress me one bit, it’s what we do this offseason is what we should be looking forward to.

Back