Coach NMFC Senior Coach Rhyce Shaw - Ben Buckley announces NMFC & Shaw will part ways immediately

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Don’t think so.

Pretty sure he’s referring to responding to the virus and the unpredictable changes in circumstances. Not being at the mercy of change. Be proactive and dictating how the group respond.

Brad is a world away. The players have moved on. Others should too.
Spot on King.

He's had an interesting start to his coaching career. Last season he was seemingly filling every role bar boot studder, this year a pandemic.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Call me cynical, but I doubt that any of the 17 other coaches has delivered the message the same way. All are faced with identical exposure to Covid-19, but I just can't see Dimma, or Bucks, or Simmo, or Horse ... or Stewie Dew making the theme of their round 1 rev-up "we need to focus on winning, not just existing / getting through".

I suggest they wouldn't feel the need to reference the bolded explicitly.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Call me cynical, but I doubt that any of the 17 other coaches has delivered the message the same way. All are faced with identical exposure to Covid-19, but I just can't see Dimma, or Bucks, or Simmo, or Horse ... or Stewie Dew making the theme of their round 1 rev-up "we need to focus on winning, not just existing / getting through".

If Rhyce is taking pot shots at Brad’s recent tenure then I’d be a real bad sign that he hasn’t got his eyes on the ball.

I’ll take it at face value that he’s referring to focusing on the game at hand rather than what is going on around you. Regardless of the exact wording you use, I’d expect other coaches to be doing the same.

If Rhyce is taking pot shots at Brad’s recent tenure then I’d be a real bad sign that he hasn’t got his eyes on the ball.

I’ll take it at face value that he’s referring to focusing on the game at hand rather than what is going on around you. Regardless of the exact wording you use, I’d expect other coaches to be doing the same.

I'd suggest that he's trying emphatically to break a mindset that became entrenched over years. It's part of the job and he's doing it well.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
... the repeated emphasis on winning and not just looking to exist doesn't say that to me. All 18 teams are in the same boat with the virus, so why would the default be to just exist and get through it? Maybe something to do with the previous mindset?

They're all going to message things differently, although it wouldn't surprise me at all if the other coaches are going to reference this huge issue. Rhyce chose to use the fact that the COVID19 virus had (has) the potential to derail the whole season, to say, in a context of 'getting through' let's look beyond that; let's keep a focus on winning.

"It's fantastic that we can still go out there and play." [The season could have been cancelled... due to the VIRUS.]
"And we've go the opportunity to play and to win. That's the most important thing." [Keep focused on winning guys; keep your mind on the job.]
"You can adapt and cope and get through, or you can adapt to win, and winning every day and winning every session. Winning every moment. That's what it's all about." [Clearly flowing from the above... references to the unprecedented global events that threaten the season from even happening.]

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Loved how he came down to the bench in the second half and was so involved. The players clearly responded.

Right at that moment we were going to a new script. Didn't assume it was going to lead to success but it showed an inclination to get closer to the action and identify the issues rather than keep plugging away to a preordained plan.

Did Rhyse have an after game presser yesterday ? someone told me Ratten only sent 2 players and did not show up himself, not sure if true or not.

Both coaches held their usual pressers mutts.

Back