Congratulations Trent Cotchin - AFLPA captain of the year

Remove this Banner Ad

Why? As a football fan I think he deserves this award. Grown as a person, player & great selfless captain. He is a premiership captain and Selwood isn’t. Why would cat fans complain?

You obviously have blocked alot of your own brethren then. It’s the only way to explain your post.

Sent from my iPad using righteous Bhodi manpower

Came in to congratulate Trent and found myself in the middle of a kindergarten s**t fight... Richmond supporters included.
Every thread is the same and it's tiresome.
Yes, Shannon Hurn has had a great season and would also have been worthy.
Being voted by one's peers, in any industry, is a great honour.
I have no idea if Tex Walker was a great captain or not during 16/17 but his peers thought so.

Concratulations to Trent Cotchin as I do know that his leadership has been instrumental to Richmond's rise in 17/18.

Congratulations, Trent. Great captain. Great choice.

Considering Tigers fans have been telling the world the last 12 months how much the award doesnt matter in an attempt to take pot shots at Tex, I wonder how many will acknowledge the legitimacy of the award now one of their own wins it.

Meaningless boys club award, given to the obvious choice. This year to the premiers captain, previously to a club that had lost their coach. Of all the meaningless awards, this is right up there as one of the most trivial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

While it would be an honour to be recognised by your peers, being a premiership captain of your club is what all would aspire too.

I'm saying things can change...

The issues for Tex ramped up after being seen as an ungracious loser, the whole Lever situation, the famous camp texts and now wanting to talk to McGovern (but he has toned that down). They are the main reasons people have questioned Texs leadership abilities.
Having said that, he was obviously a pillar in a tough time for the club with Walshs tragic passing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good choice, personally would have given it to Hurn, who has both had a stellar season playing wise but also leadership wise, leading a team like West Coast (who were seen as bottom 6 by many) to a top 2 H&A position.

Been told numorous times we have only 4 A graders and 18 potatoes.

Cotch has done his best working with those potatoes to work together to win 18 games this season.

Quite an achievement with such an average team and list.

Who has told you that? Not Hawthorn supporters I hope.

Ablett is only any good because he's surrounded by good team mates.
Bartel is only any good because he's surrounded by good team mates.
Selwood is only any good because he's surrounded by good team mates.
Corey is only any good because he's surrounded by good team mates.
Enright is only any good because he's surrounded by good team mates.
Chapman is only any good because he's surrounded by good team mates.
Ling is only any good because he's surrounded by good team mates.
Scarlett is only any good because he plays loose and never picks up the opposition's best forward (he was getting named AA and won his b&f when Geelong were no good)

With all of the above listed, I can't work out who the good players were that were making all of this rabble look good.

If I'm being honest this is one of the stranger awards, what would some guy playing for West Coast know about Trent Cotchin as a captain? You can say they'd know more than I or the media would know, but I reckon they still know jack s**t. Walker has shown textbook signs of poor leadership and he got it twice.

Look at that roll call - Hodge, Selwood, Judd, Brown, Voss, Carey. It's the Respect Award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Captain|M|W|L|D|Win %
\Hurn, Shannon|92|62|29|1|67.9
\Selwood, Joel|161|107|53|1|66.8
\Walker, Taylor|83|53|29|1|64.5
\Cotchin, Trent|138|84|54|0|60.9
\Kennedy, Josh P.|43|26|17|0|60.5
\Roughead, Jarryd|44|25|18|1|58.0
\Viney, Jack|24|13|11|0|54.2
\Boak, Travis|137|74|63|0|54.0
\Heppell, Dyson|45|24|21|0|53.3
\Wood, Easton|30|16|14|0|53.3
\Pendlebury, Scott|106|54|52|0|50.9
\Davis, Phil|123|57|63|3|47.6
\Ward, Callan|154|64|87|3|42.5
\Ziebell, Jack|40|17|23|0|42.5
\Jones, Nathan|104|44|60|0|42.3
\Murphy, Marc|111|38|73|0|34.2
\Geary, Jarryn|43|14|28|1|33.7
\Fyfe, Nathan|39|13|26|0|33.3
\Lynch, Tom J.|39|11|27|1|29.5
\Zorko, Dayne|14|4|10|0|28.6
\May, Steven|42|11|31|0|26.2
\Beams, Dayne|27|5|22|0|18.5
Hurn's unlucky going on those figures.

Meaningless boys club award, given to the obvious choice. This year to the premiers captain, previously to a club that had lost their coach. Of all the meaningless awards, this is right up there as one of the most trivial.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I don't know how we can assess the value of a captain unless we live within the club itself and see what he is doing around the club. I certainly cannot see how we can look at the 18 captains and pick the best one. Not having a go at Cotchin, I'm sure he does a good job, I'm having a go at the award itself.

For a sport where success is dependant upon team success, we have way too many meaningless individual awards and medals in footy these days.

Considering Tigers fans have been telling the world the last 12 months how much the award doesnt matter in an attempt to take pot shots at Tex, I wonder how many will acknowledge the legitimacy of the award now one of their own wins it.
Trent has Captained a Premiership team-whilst Tex has spat the Dummie!

Its perfectly fine to disagree and have a different opinion than the winner. At the end of the day a peer vote is just a majority shared opinion. Other players voted differently so obviously even minority opinions are shared by some.
Cotchin has been a model of leadership for a while noe, so it's pretty hard to pot him for his recent captaincy.

How would others vote for this award? It's like working for CBA in a management position and being voted best manager by someone at NAB
And yet if Hurn had won you would be shouting from the rooftops how great he is. Players play against each other, they are on the same field, they know which players are good leaders.

Captain|M|W|L|D|Win %
\Hurn, Shannon|92|62|29|1|67.9
\Selwood, Joel|161|107|53|1|66.8
\Walker, Taylor|83|53|29|1|64.5
\Cotchin, Trent|138|84|54|0|60.9
\Kennedy, Josh P.|43|26|17|0|60.5
\Roughead, Jarryd|44|25|18|1|58.0
\Viney, Jack|24|13|11|0|54.2
\Boak, Travis|137|74|63|0|54.0
\Heppell, Dyson|45|24|21|0|53.3
\Wood, Easton|30|16|14|0|53.3
\Pendlebury, Scott|106|54|52|0|50.9
\Davis, Phil|123|57|63|3|47.6
\Ward, Callan|154|64|87|3|42.5
\Ziebell, Jack|40|17|23|0|42.5
\Jones, Nathan|104|44|60|0|42.3
\Murphy, Marc|111|38|73|0|34.2
\Geary, Jarryn|43|14|28|1|33.7
\Fyfe, Nathan|39|13|26|0|33.3
\Lynch, Tom J.|39|11|27|1|29.5
\Zorko, Dayne|14|4|10|0|28.6
\May, Steven|42|11|31|0|26.2
\Beams, Dayne|27|5|22|0|18.5
Hurn's unlucky going on those figures.

The figures need to be weighted though, with more recent records worth more than results seen 4,5 or 6 years ago.

OMFG. This is gonna end well. How long before whingy cats fans come in and stink up the place.
Well done Trent. Great recognition.

Not this one. Well deserved. One of the more impressive turnarounds by one player in an 18 month span I can remember. He was always a good player, that wasn't in doubt, but somehow transformed into a more important player. And leader. Good on him.

Trent has Captained a Premiership team-whilst Tex has spat the Dummie!

How? No one can actually objectively show that Tex has done anything out of line as a captain unless they quote sensationalist newspapers who put the sauce on to sell papers.

Its perfectly fine to disagree and have a different opinion than the winner. At the end of the day a peer vote is just a majority shared opinion. Other players voted differently so obviously even minority opinions are shared by some.
Cotchin has been a model of leadership for a while noe, so it's pretty hard to pot him for his recent captaincy.

And yet if Hurn had won you would be shouting from the rooftops how great he is. Players play against each other, they are on the same field, they know which players are good leaders.

Im not referring to people who didnt think he was the best. Im referring to people (and plenty of them) who took a s**t on the award itself.

Please quote me correctly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back