Congratulations Umpires

Remove this Banner Ad

bumsonseats

Premiership Player
Oct 8, 2009
Back in Stinktown (Adelaide)
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Was it just a one off or has the umpiring dept finally shown some common sense and put a stop to technical soft frees. On the weekend in the majority of matches the free kick count was nearly half of what has been dished up over the past couple of years and in my opinion the games were much better as a result.

Considering free kick counts were getting constantly up in the 40 to 50 per game range it was good to see less of the umpires in most games over the weekend.

Geelong v Suns - 21 frees
Sydney v Essendon - 20 frees
Melb v Hawks - 26 frees
Carlton v GWS - 30 frees
Lions v Collingwood - 33 frees.

Keep up the good work umpiring dept, only pay the obvious and just yell 'PLAY ON' for the rest.

This thread could probably go in the Umpiring section, but no one really looks there and I thought this might be more worthy of the main board for greater coverage. I have quoted Deluge99 post on a the same topic from the Umpires board. I am sure if the mods dont like it they will move it, but it would be great if mods could prefix this thread with "Toast". The umps dont usually get many accolades, but credit where credit is due.

It was obvious tonight that the umps were predominantly paying the obvious ones, and this appears to have been a change in approach for the last couple of rounds. Its great to see the umps staying out of it and letting the players go for the footy and not getting sucked in when players lead with their heads. Further to Deluge99's stats above, there was only 17 free kicks paid tonight. Great to see.

I hope they can maintain this standard for the rest of the year.

Please keep umpiring like tonights game, paying only genuine frees, no frees for head ducking, touching the shoulder etc. Keep doing this, the crowds will love it and flock back to see how footy used to be played, tough and uncompromising!!

Jeff Geischan must be on a couple of weeks leave

Totally agree. Just in the last 10 min alone there was easily about 7-8 dodgy free's that would get called every day of the week that were let go and it was for the better.

bloody oath!

Umpiring was terrific, 50/50 calls seem to be a thing of the past.
Can only hope it stays like this now because the game just seemed to be much more focused on the players instead of having to see the umps more often than not.

So next time Martin is running in to an open goal to kick the winning goal and gets a huge shove in the back from your opponent you are happy to 'let it go'? Will love to see people make these comments after their team got shafted in a close loss.

I do know there were blatant frees let go to both sides but I would still hope blatant frees are still paid.

F*** YES!

Field umpiring was superb. Review system needs an overhaul.

They want the goal umpires to back themselves in with goal line decisions but I'm sure the goal umpire in the 2009 GF was sure it was goal. Any 50/50 decisions should be reviewed. We have what, 2 or 3 50/50 calls a game? Dont stuff around, go upstairs and get it done with in 20 seconds. The purpose of the review system is getting it right.

So next time Martin is running in to an open goal to kick the winning goal and gets a huge shove in the back from your opponent you are happy to 'let it go'? Will love to see people make these comments after their team got shafted in a close loss.

party pooper........pretty sure the umps had very little to do with why North can finish off close games.

No one said they got everything right, that would be asking a little to much.
But by and large a much better performance over the last couple of weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Please keep umpiring like tonights game, paying only genuine frees, no frees for head ducking, touching the shoulder etc. Keep doing this, the crowds will love it and flock back to see how footy used to be played, tough and uncompromising!!

Saw the title and thought that plugger had changed his username again and become a Blooze supporter.;)

Pleasantly surprised to see I thought exactly the same as the OP. :thumbsu:

Fantastic work for the field umpires tonight. A few bad calls either way here and there, but overall let the game flow, not free kicks for diving or stupid HTB. Would love to see more of that week in week out.

Review system needs a massive look into however...

Wasn't a high quality match, but not having the umpires interrupt every minute of play made it a joy to watch. Right up to the last couple of minutes anyway

I saw 3 times when players were tackled and didn't dispose of the ball and it wasn't paid. If a player is tackled and can't get a hand or foot to the ball, there should be a free paid. Other than those I think the umps did a good job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back