Connecting the dots - Are we on the brink of calamity?

Remove this Banner Ad

Seriously..what if Trump gets in?

Is it actually possible? Isn't there something that will #### up his appeal?

Would it make a difference to anything if he got the top job?

Seriously..what if Trump gets in?

Is it actually possible? Isn't there something that will #### up his appeal?

Would it make a difference to anything if he got the top job?

I give him 0.001% chance of winning. the republican support is very low (25% from memory)

He does have a chance of winning, but I don't think it's a big chance. The Democrats won't have a problem getting out the vote if Trump is the alternative because he is both a risk in terms of not knowing what he would be like, and a risk in terms of potential armed conflict and world de-stabilisation.

Someone pointed at the fact more people are voting in the Republican field, but that's irrelevant IMO. They've been taken over by Tea Party types and like the right-wing in Australia can't cobble together a policy suite that normal people think is fair. Tea Party politics have only really had one run in a Presidential election (rather than mid-terms, which are often localised campaigns) and that was Sarah Palin as VP - widely seen as a hindrance to McCain's campaign.

Trump would only have a chance if he takes the risk out of his campaign, and realistically he can only do that if he starts calling the media stoopid for believing him when he said X, because of course his supporters knew that he really meant Y. If he backed that up with a good showing from business leaders backing him, then people may worry less about the impact of President Trump. Hard to see that beating Hilary and Bill, but in this angry Internet age there is a chance.

"Limits to growth" is the reason Trump is going round saying I will make America great again and why people are listening and why it cant happen.

cc68cfc8-072c-4e53-a741-b28c3d6bcea3-573x1020.jpeg

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ight-new-research-shows-were-nearing-collapse

I give him 0.001% chance of winning. the republican support is very low (25% from memory)
Trump will win the right to contest , but Hillary Clinton will be President. Trump is either a really shallow fool or he is a genius, what he'd do if he won no one knows at all.
Because he can react like a loose cannon, he could be so dangerous that we are at war all over again all over the place, or he might simply lock down the good old USA, to every one but its closest allies, or he may just have fooled everyone and is using every trick in his bag to get votes off that middle American bible bashing "Obama is a Muslim" pack of patriots, and he may well have the gumption to govern the place better than ever before.
BUT, he will have to get there first , and of course the worst problem is we have no idea of what he really is, as my comments above are pure guess work.

One thing I did notice and it was a tiny thing, but I saw a little bit just a tiny bit of discomfort when the raving ignoramous Sarah Palin gave him a huge support speech with him on stage.

I thought ooh Donald thinks she's wacko like the rest of the world does. Maybe he ain't that dumb.

He won't be president though.

But I'm ready to swallow my words.

"Limits to growth" is the reason Trump is going round saying I will make America great again and why people are listening and why it cant happen.

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ight-new-research-shows-were-nearing-collapse

Frightening graph.By 2060 services per capita , food per capita , Industrial output per capita , is NIL??? Do I read that right , so by 2100 we're all finished? Or we may as well be!

Or... the middle east quagmire is the perfect scenario for the powers to engage in indirect conflict without having to risk their own troops on the ground.

China's non-aggression is only direct - their influence over African nation is growing steadily, indirect power growth through influence (control of commodities in Kenya, Zimbabwe adopting the yuan as currency, etc). They'll concentrate on the South China Sea, knowing their control of over 90% of rare eath minerals gives them enormous strategic advantage over their rivals.

Russia will sabre rattle in satellite states and support allies abroad as they've always done. Their policy of propping up compliant buffer states makes Ukraine's bid for greater European influence doomed in the long run.

The US have many dirty fingers in many dirty pies but can't afford another disastrous ground campaign (Iraq or Afghanistan).

Why don't we all lock up shop , ban immigrants, and try to survive as long as we can. Just we westerners, can we do that. Or is it against the laws of nature. Or should all anglo saxon nations leave there homes and come live here . All sounds like bullshit to me.

But the status quo will stand as you said. Sabre rattling and the old cold war again, where the powerful nations hold sway, and small terrorist organisation never have a chance to grow into anything like they have in the last 25 years.
Got to annihilate ISIS first though that will take a huge total war decision, we all know that!

Frightening graph.By 2060 services per capita , food per capita , Industrial output per capita , is NIL??? Do I read that right , so by 2100 we're all finished? Or we may as well be!
The dotted line shows the Limits to Growth “business-as-usual” scenario out to 2100.
Up to 2010, the data is strikingly similar to the book’s forecasts.
Dont let the laws of thermo dynamics get in the way of a rapidly increasing population, all wanting to live the American dream, on a planet with limited resources.

Maybe the select few monkies at the top,

Have a plan to depopulate the planet somehow?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

great talk.
i am not a believer in conspiracy theories like- man did not walk on the moon, flat earth etc. but the world financial system and the resulting wealth distribution style on the planet does not pass the sniff test to me. we in the western world have the best of what is available but large chunks of the world population live a life of servitude and struggle. there has got to be a better system.
i do not know what it is although one day the human race might evolve into a more empathetic/less ego and envy driven society.

great talk.
i am not a believer in conspiracy theories like- man did not walk on the moon, flat earth etc. but the world financial system and the resulting wealth distribution style on the planet does not pass the sniff test to me. we in the western world have the best of what is available but large chunks of the world population live a life of servitude and struggle. there has got to be a better system.
i do not know what it is although one day the human race might evolve into a more empathetic/less ego and envy driven society.

It'll take a long time. I am an average bloke I have a house, adult family and wife. Our house is no mansion, but it is ours and we have a reasonable life style.
We live in West Aus, and we are a few minutes drive from the beach , we are certainly not wealthy by any stretch, but I guess close to comfortable. Although sometimes, things can run into "have a little less than you need" instances.

So I guess I could say that at times even someone like me that thinks I am ok, has a look at the other tiny percent of people who are in a small minority who have nearly everything. What you've mentioned above, about wealth distribution, has made me look closer at my surroundings.

When driving down to the beach and through the middle to upper middle class suburbs, there are NOT HUNDREDS... BUT THOUSANDS of gigantic new places being built .
These houses in beach side suburbs like Ocean Reef, Hillarys, Burns Beach, these days , Mullaloo, Mindarie, and many more, there are many suburbs, the further north you go the more there are, and south of the river in Perth is the same. There are some very outer "boon dock" cheaper home areas of course. But the amount in numbers of these giant houses is mind bogling.

These places must be all well over the million to two million mark and MORE!
I've asked this before and spoken of it on BF, but I still am baffled , who are all these people who are building massive houses at god knows what cost, from where do so many come, that they can afford to build something I'd take 2 lifetimes to buy.

Wealth distribution is a strange thing .

So maybe there is a fairly substancial undercarriage of the semi wealthy, that have lots and lots of money, because these houses aren't just on coastline roads , they go back blocks and blocks into the suburbs close by, there are just so many to believe. But there they are.

When the world calls poor, well there are just a few zillionaires, but the semi wealthy seem to be living in hordes in this country anyway , with money hanging out of their bums. It must be the same in other western nations, where does all this money come from.

HOW, from where does it come how can there be so many people capable of buying 1, 2, 3, million dollar houses, . I don't know anyone who owns a 5 bedroom three bath mansion , and thats a small one!
But I tell you there are thousands of them.
Don't tell me we are in a financial crisis , definitely being hoodwinked , the majority is anyway. The banks make most jump through hoops to get a loan.

Seems to me that we, are in the main, the modern version of the Roman Pleb!

I think no real hope for human kind changing much for a long long time!

So Calamity??? Its already upon we in this society , and the third world, well that seems to me to be forever!

It'll take a long time. I am an average bloke I have a house, adult family and wife. Our house is no mansion, but it is ours and we have a reasonable life style.
We live in West Aus, and we are a few minutes drive from the beach , we are certainly not wealthy by any stretch, but I guess close to comfortable. Although sometimes, things can run into "have a little less than you need" instances.

So I guess I could say that at times even someone like me that thinks I am ok, has a look at the other tiny percent of people who are in a small minority who have nearly everything. What you've mentioned above, about wealth distribution, has made me look closer at my surroundings.

When driving down to the beach and through the middle to upper middle class suburbs, there are NOT HUNDREDS... BUT THOUSANDS of gigantic new places being built .
These houses in beach side suburbs like Ocean Reef, Hillarys, Burns Beach, these days , Mullaloo, Mindarie, and many more, there are many suburbs, the further north you go the more there are, and south of the river in Perth is the same. There are some very outer "boon dock" cheaper home areas of course. But the amount in numbers of these giant houses is mind bogling.

I've asked this before and spoken of it on BF, but I still am baffled , who are all these people who are building massive houses at god knows what cost, from where do so many come, that they can afford to build something I'd take 2 lifetimes to buy.

So maybe there is a fairly substancial undercarriage of the semi wealthy, that have lots and lots of money, because these houses aren't just on coastline roads , they go back blocks and blocks into the suburbs close by, there are just so many to believe. But there they are.

When the world calls poor, well there are just a few zillionaires, but the semi wealthy seem to be living in hordes in this country anyway , with money hanging out of their bums. It must be the same in other western nations, where does all this money come from.

HOW, from where does it come how can there be so many people capable of buying 1, 2, 3, million dollar houses, . I don't know anyone who owns a 5 bedroom three bath mansion , and thats a small one!
Don't tell me we are in a financial crisis , definitely being hoodwinked , the majority is anyway. The banks make most jump through hoops to get a loan.

So Calamity??? Its already upon we in this society , and the third world, well that seems to me to be forever!

when the nukes start flying

perth is as good as any place to be ?

pretty far away from anyting :thumbsu:

A lot of people/couples earn 100 to 150k per year. They can afford an $800 a week mortgage to purchase these giant homes.

It's not that unusual.

A lot of people/couples earn 100 to 150k per year. They can afford an $800 a week mortgage to purchase these giant homes.

It's not that unusual.
Yeah it is unusual , there are so many. That's my comment, these places are so numerous, the average Aussie doesn't step into them.
There is billions and billions of dollars worth of properties in a tiny cross section of one to two suburbs and they are all over the country , all cities and country resorts that have sprung up, yet we're told the country owes so much money, well they could pay the deficit off, if we sold up. Just jokin joyce but fair dinkum where does the dough come from, how effing wealthy are these thousands of people.

Yes and your right " WHAT HAPPENED TO MY MANSION!!!!!" Seriously this country is in NO trouble at all. None , we are loaded. That I guess is why the government spends billions of dollars buying weapons of extremly modern capabilities, to protect the wealth. Don't complain you relatively poor Australians your actually doing all right.
So there we go, wealth distribution? Where is the distribution?

Yeah it is unusual , there are so many. That's my comment, these places are so numerous, the average Aussie doesn't step into them.
There is billions and billions of dollars worth of properties in a tiny cross section of one to two suburbs and they are all over the country , all cities and country resorts that have sprung up, yet we're told the country owes so much money, well they could pay the deficit off, if we sold up. Just jokin joyce but fair dinkum where does the dough come from, how effing wealthy are these thousands of people.

Yes and your right " WHAT HAPPENED TO MY MANSION!!!!!" Seriously this country is in NO trouble at all. None , we are loaded. That I guess is why the government spends billions of dollars buying weapons of extremly modern capabilities, to protect the wealth. Don't complain you relatively poor Australians your actually doing all right.
So there we go, wealth distribution? Where is the distribution?

I think you have hit the nail on the head.

We have to raise the tax $s required to run a country and provide services for our most needy. We simply can't sustain the tax regime reliant on income tax which generate massive liabilities due to the arbitrage between personal income tax rates vs corporate tax rates and overseas.

These "macmansion" owners clearly spend, so increasing the GST not only generates govt revenue, it actually makes our industry more competitive and most importantly taxes giants like Apple and other importers.

The other observation is we should pay a much higher property tax.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back