Recommitted Connor Blakely

Remove this Banner Ad

Ah chee straight swap.

He’s an undisciplined flog. If he’s not good enough for our leadership team...he must be a real campaigner.
I wish, but Ah chee Girlfriend want to stayed in Queensland, just like B. Hill girlfriend want to go back to Melbourne.

The word around Freo is that Connor has peeved off his teammates and the club reckons he may be on the table. This is despite him having signed a 3 year contract a couple of months ago.
Would be very sorry to lose Connor. Played out of position at HB by Lyon. V good inside talent.
Do we have a first bid?
If WC can't snag Kelly, he'd be a good get.

So I assume that Blakey's reason for leaving Freo is similar to why Allen Christensen was forced out of Geelong..
May just be a s**t bloke. Or sometimes people simply fall out with one teammate and others pick sides. I've seen absolute flogs force solid blokes out of footy teams, just because ones Mr. Big Time and not enough people want to stand up to the club bully.

He's going to be an excellent addition for whoever gets him. I could see him winning a B&F somewhere in a couple of years and laughing at the Dockers.

having watched the performance he put up against a Jack Steven coming back into the team looking like he had just won a pie eating contest...
and seeing the pea hearted crowd watching while his opponent Marc Murphy strolled in to beat freo earlier in the year .. thats a hard pass for St Kilda thanks

having watched the performance he put up against a Jack Steven coming back into the team looking like he had just won a pie eating contest...
and seeing the pea hearted crowd watching while his opponent Marc Murphy strolled in to beat freo earlier in the year .. thats a hard pass for St Kilda thanks
You're gonna be one sad cookie when Belly goes in dry.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3rd rounder surely? He is slow, doesn't crack in and only runs one way
I think he's overrated and never defend him, but wowee, some serious rubbish here. Slow? Not really, though how many inside mids are fast to begin with. Doesn't crack in hard? Lol, you clearly have never watched him play.....ever. Only runs one way is accurate though, no arguing there.

I think he's overrated and never defend him, but wowee, some serious rubbish here. Slow? Not really, though how many inside mids are fast to begin with. Doesn't crack in hard? Lol, you clearly have never watched him play.....ever. Only runs one way is accurate though, no arguing there.
I traded him into my supercoach team in about round 18 so watched every Freo game and he wasn't great. He averages about 4 contested possessions a game.

Heard the Tigers have asked about him but not sure if that’s progressed far.

Don’t know much about him. What player is he comparable to?

Heard the Tigers have asked about him but not sure if that’s progressed far.

Don’t know much about him. What player is he comparable to?

Jack Graham without the defensive intensity.

Has a concerning lack of contested possessions to his name. Also concerning is his inability to really crack into the midfield properly this year considering there was opportunity - Blakely should be at the stage of getting time over senior body players (Mundy, Conca) and younger kids (Brayshaw, Cerra), while he should have more tricks than Tucker too, but doesn't.

Doesn't have big tackle numbers either.

I know he gets talked about as a lack of opportunity guy but why is the question? Fitness? Work ethic? Positioning at stoppages? None of these bode well for getting a gun inside mid. Different if he was 19. The surfing/skipping training incident doesn't seem to have kickstarted a fire in the belly. Injury woes must be discussed along with a work ethic - is he doing everything he can?

Think he has the body and youth on his size for say Essendon to offer up around pick 29-30. Depends how badly Freo want to get rid of him - if they're just trying to grab a good offer they obviously deny that, but if there's genuine concerns about his LT future at Freo then Essendon should stand their ground on that offer.
Puts his value in the ballpark of his draft pick, once any FA compos or priority picks have been given out.
Essendon grab a player of need with a medium pick which tends to grab these good but limited inside mid players (Blakely pick 34, Sier 32, Drew 33, Constable 36), Freo in this hypothetical get a pick they can use from a lost situation. They could go to the draft with 5, 6, and then take Henry with a couple of picks in the 20s/30s (say 26 and 31 after compo) and still have a solid left over pick with the pick for Langdon.

Last edited:
I traded him into my supercoach team in about round 18 so watched every Freo game and he wasn't great. He averages about 4 contested possessions a game.

Most Freo fans think he was used horribly this year playing mainly off the half back when they expected him to be put straight in the guts to help cover the loss of Neale.

Up for debate how good he really would go there but personally I think he could have a lot better 2020 under a new coach whether that's at Fremantle or elsewhere.

Blakely averaged 24 touches a game in 2017/2018. He's only 23 years old.

He's a footballer that reads the pay well and will become a 25+ inside mid.

He had a serious hamstring injury last season which hurt his season big time. He came back after 12 weeks with a booty rivaling Kim Kardashian and didn't have the power through his legs/core that he's shown previously. I wouldn't be surprised if there was more issues at play as well.

Give him a big pre-season and I have no doubt he'll be in Freo's top 10 in the B&F. I will be disappointed if Freo trade him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back