Toast Connor Blakely Rd 11 Rising Star Nom

Jan 14, 2008
AFL Club
Fremantle
He did but he is only spending 60-70% on the ground, I'd like to see that lift to the high 80%s but that is a measure of repeat 2km, not just the one and that takes years of building.

He performed better in the 2klm than a lot of the boys that have been running the 2klm for years. The small Pearces , Suban, Ibbo etc come to mind. Its not his tank ,more about managing the way he spends his time on the ground. Where he runs to and when he runs. Experience also takes years of building.

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I actually really like the club philosophy if bringing in young players when they are ready to succeed. In fact it is the only way I like to see it. Anything else smacks of desperation and poor management. Blakely could be the poster boy for this mantra.

In general yes but there is always the exception to the rule. Some players are just ready and have mature bodies and mindset such as Watson (16 yrs I think), Haselby (best debut I have ever seen). So yes on most occasions but never say never, I think Tucker is another player that does not need to be held back.

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
I don't think Connor has the tank for AFL midfield yet, but our position of being more comfortable to be over-run in the later parts of the game mean he can show what he has for two third of the game.

Very exciting times if he continues the athletic development he showed during the off season.

I think that's been borne out in his TOG%.
We can expect that to increase from this point. looks like we have eased him in beautifully.

theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
In general yes but there is always the exception to the rule. Some players are just ready and have mature bodies and mindset such as Watson (16 yrs I think), Haselby (best debut I have ever seen). So yes on most occasions but never say never, I think Tucker is another player that does not need to be held back.
Yes of course I am talking generally. Previously the club has said that they have markers the players need to hit before being considered which are to do with fitness and I suspect game plan. I think new recruits go through a hell of a lot in the first preseason and I really don't expect any of them to play anything other than a token game or two.

george2

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
I watched the game again yesterday and realised that Tucker did quite a few nice things and if he continues he may also receive a nomination before the year s out. It is a good opportunity for himself and Weller to put their hands up this week against a young under performing team, if Tucker puts in a good performance this week he could solidfy his spot in the side for the next 5-6 weeks

george2

Club Legend
Jun 28, 2006
AFL Club
Fremantle
IIRC Tucker was being played in the forwardline. I wonder if he is a natural forward.
Yeah he seemed to be starting at the top of the centre square in the forward line. This may have been to just give him a bit of a taste and to build his confidence up a bit as we were cruising along with a victory, he was fortunate to score his first goal though as I didn't think that should have been a free kick.

G Mus

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Juventus
Young players burn out easy, blakely is going to be playing a lot of games this year, we want him to progress and not burn out - hence the limited TOG

freoextra

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 2, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Football Club
I would like Tucker to have a chance to settle into the pace of the game so he doesn't feel the need to rush and consequently fumble.

Really surprised at how many good things he did in this game. Already has a great size for marking and tackling and does not appear to be getting pushed around in any of his games. Has the tools to be better than half our team IMO just needs to, as you said, be given an opportunity to settle in so that those little fumbles disappear along with rushing his decision making. Will be an excellent and skillful replacement for D Pearce in years to come.

I love how we are just starting to get the feel of a team with a few extras that can kick the footy effectively. I include Blakely in that statement as his last two games have shown much improvement in his disposal.

Jones Boy

Team Captain
Sep 5, 2012
Bunbury, WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Family must have been shattered when we picked him almost directly after West Coast who went for a Vic in Tom Lamb. And probably everyone else involved with their organisation at the moment, I might add. ;)
Old man is a Hawks supporter unless I am gravely mistaken :eek:

Back