Phat Toni

Club Legend
May 5, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Spurs & Storm
Just trying to get a scope one what people think these two may be worth?

Both former first round draft picks that have not been able to cement their spot in the team. Both out of contract this year.
Menadue was 2nd round wasn't he? That aside, I wouldn't think either is worth that much, they've played 24 games between them in 2 years....

But..... if you got them on the cheap might be worth adding as depth players

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Both seem like pretty flawed players to me. Don't know why either would leave Richmond unless they were pushed out. I'd rather be waiting in the wings at Richmond and having an outside chance to play in a flag than be at GC or Carlton and part of a revolving door selection policy where my only AFL games are the receiving end of 70 point beltings.

Jan 14, 2012
The River Murray
AFL Club
St Kilda
Both seem like pretty flawed players to me. Don't know why either would leave Richmond unless they were pushed out. I'd rather be waiting in the wings at Richmond and having an outside chance to play in a flag than be at GC or Carlton and part of a revolving door selection policy where my only AFL games are the receiving end of 70 point beltings.
Players want opportunities to play regular senior football and prolong their careers. It happens every year.

Last edited:

I find this post quite a contradiction.

Yes they are flawed, they may play a handful of games for us, if they weren't flawed they would be best 22. Those flaws may not keep them out of the bottom teams though and im sure most players would rather play AFL for a bottom team as opposed to VFL for a top team.

Heaps of fun

Goatered on the sticks
Sep 13, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I find this post quite a contradiction.

Yes they are flawed, they may play a handful of games for us, if they weren't flawed they would be best 22. Those flaws may not keep them out of the bottom teams though and im sure most players would rather play AFL for a bottom team as opposed to VFL for a top team.
"Best 22" is a nonsense term.

Jun 18, 2007
Top of the tree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
#VICBIAS
Both are beautiful kicks. Ellis also has elite vision - he sees a hole and slide a footy through a car window by hand or foot. But he's a little...nice. Pick 50 ono.

I'm a Menadue fan. He has genuine pace and great kicking penetration. Very skinny when we got him, he's moved through thin to slim. But he has power in his legs and fills out more each year. Keeper for mine, lots of improvement in him. Line-breaking half-back potential, mold of Zac Williams.

F_therest

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 3, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton

Lol...another way to look at it is being only a depth player stuck in the vfl and thus unimportant and possibly delisted soon, or cement yourself in a lowly team to prove yourself, extend your career and earn more money. It is a job after all.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I like the glimpses I have seen of Connor Menadue, if we have the list spot available late in trade period he'd be an upgrade on our recently delisted players, still very young and finding it hard to get into a likely back to back premiers side, good upside in him IMO.

A late pick should be enough.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Unless they ask for trades (which is realistically possible because they can't quite break in to a good settled side), I would like us to keep both. I think both have internal value to us in that they could still become decent players, but not much external value so we wouldn't get much for either. Hope they stay.

Back