Toast Conor Glass Retires

The sacrifice Connor made to this club is not one that should be understated. Thanks for everything and best of luck back in Ireland!

It's a really big move for the Irish lads to come all this way with no guarantees of making it.
I am really thankful that he gave it a crack with the HFC and wish him all the best.

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
The sacrifice Connor made to this club is not one that should be understated. Thanks for everything and best of luck back in Ireland!

Agreed. Sad it never materialsied for him. When he first came into the team a few years back I really thought he'd make it.

Best of luck to him in the future.

Feb 11, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sad to see a few people on fb celebrating the fact he’s gone.
Probs should’ve expected it tho.
The bloke literally upped and left his country and poured 4-5 years into the club on what I would only assume was minimal AFL wage.

Thanks for the efforts, had 75% of the tools to make it, just a hard caper.
Good luck back in Ireland

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The bloke literally upped and left his country and poured 4-5 years into the club on what I would only assume was minimal AFL wage.

Yeh it's a massive effort for these Irish lads to move halfway across the globe, away from family and freinds no doubt.

Its not like they are making big coin so it is a big risk they are taking but you would expect it would be a big learning and life experience for them regardless of whether they make it or not (although even to play 20 odd games of AFL is a hell of an achievement for any footballer).

Best of luck Connor.

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks

There's always gonna be haters. Not many serious football people would say anything but thanks for the efforts and for trusting the hawks with your career. Best of luck Conor!

Worth keeping in mind that Glass came to Hawthorn as an 18 year old, having been selected as a category B rookie in 2015. He arrived in Australia in July 2016 and played six games for the Box Hill Hawks development squad, including in the development squad's premiership. He then played 12 games for Box Hill in 2017 before earning a debut game against the Dockers late in 2017 (round 18, 2017) where the Hawks won by 52 points. He kept his spot for the remainder of the season, playing the last six games of the season in a row. It was a much harder caper for him in 2018, as he ended up playing only four games for the season (rounds 4-5, round 15 and round 22). He switched to a new number in 2019 (from #44 to #13) but it's fair to say that he was up against it in terms of remaining on the list. After winning six games in his first two seasons as a Hawk, he only won two further games in 2019 and 2020 (none this year).

He leaves the Hawks having played 21 games since 2017, with two career goals. He had a career high 20 disposals against Sydney in round 14, 2019.

Aug 23, 2009
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I was really hopeful Conor would make it and it's unfortunate for the club that it didn't pan out that way. He always gave it everything.

What an amazing way to start your adult life though. Best of luck for him and hopefully we'll see him playing against Australia some day.

Back