Free Agency Conor McKenna - comes out of retirement to join Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

What about Dustin Fletcher?

Doing great work with the likes of Zerk Thacter
coach vs. development role. Kelly knows structures. he essentially coached our backline whilst he played in it.
Im fine to keep Fletch working with the kids and getting them ready for AFL. But for a line coach, I think you want someone like Kelly (plus I want Irish back. I miss seeing him in the red and black)

coach vs. development role. Kelly knows structures. he essentially coached our backline whilst he played in it.
Im fine to keep Fletch working with the kids and getting them ready for AFL. But for a line coach, I think you want someone like Kelly (plus I want Irish back. I miss seeing him in the red and black)
I'm guessing he be a FA?

I don't think so. He didn't leave the AFL system in the current year/cycle. He would be like any other player delisted over a season ago.

He would just nominate for the ND on his desired terms wouldnt he? (And whoever picks him up picks him up)

I wouldnt be unhappy if he came to geelong.

He would just nominate for the ND on his desired terms wouldnt he? (And whoever picks him up picks him up)

I wouldnt be unhappy if he came to geelong.

That's what I expect, yes.

Unless the player wishes to be listed by GWS, in which case the the AFL will alter the Supplementary player rules to facilitate any previously delisted player to be relisted outside of the draft as happened for Shane Mumford.

That's what I expect, yes.

Unless the player wishes to be listed by GWS, in which case the the AFL will alter the Supplementary player rules to facilitate any previously delisted player to be relisted outside of the draft as happened for Shane Mumford.
he retired over being delisted, so wouldn't this be more like McCartin to the swans via SSP?

Is he allowed to nominate financial terms if he goes into the draft.

Good player but something how he left Essendon in the lurch makes me very reluctant to get him over to Carlton.

to be fair we knew his issues around home sickness when we re contracted him. Essendon knew at some point he wanted to go back to Ireland and play Gaelic football, just ended up a bit sooner than planned.

he is a pretty genuine guy, did his best to get through it but was what it was. No malice in doing what he did. Not like we would have got amazing compo or anything

Any former AFL player can sign in the SSP

Can he nominate desired financial terms in the SSP though? Or only at the ND/PSD?

You can obviously nominate financial terms in the mid season rookie draft (if previously listed) so i assume you can in SSP.

Can he nominate desired financial terms in the SSP though? Or only at the ND/PSD?

You can obviously nominate financial terms in the mid season rookie draft (if previously listed) so i assume you can in SSP.
SSP is a direct sign situation, as long as it's more than a rookie's minimum wage I don't see why he couldn't sign for whatever was offered to him. Even if there was some sort of cap on that he could just sign and then "re-sign" ten minutes after the first lot of paperwork with a better wage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SSP is a direct sign situation, as long as it's more than a rookie's minimum wage I don't see why he couldn't sign for whatever was offered to him. Even if there was some sort of cap on that he could just sign and then "re-sign" ten minutes after the first lot of paperwork with a better wage.
whats the SSP?

Worth remembering the melbourne media was a big part of his retirement. Would go better in Geelong but also Brisbane i guess.

not really.

we all knew he was going back to Ireland, eventually. The club knew it after the extended his last contract.

He was having major home sickness issues throughout his time with us, and we even let him go back to Ireland mid season at one point.

media had little to do with it.

"No matter what job you have in life there are always repercussions, but the way the media works in Melbourne there doesn't seem to be," McKenna said.
"If there are no repercussions, they'll just continue to do that and treat players like a piece of meat."

not really.

we all knew he was going back to Ireland, eventually. The club knew it after the extended his last contract.

He was having major home sickness issues throughout his time with us, and we even let him go back to Ireland mid season at one point.

media had little to do with it.
maybe a big part of his retirement was overstating it but the media didn't help that's for sure

maybe a big part of his retirement was overstating it but the media didn't help that's for sure

the COVID stuff?

i mean it didn't help but he was gonskies well before that imo.

whats the SSP?
Supplementary Selection Period. So can add players to the rookie list without needing to draft them if they were left undrafted or were previously on an AFL list. It’s how we got McCartin for example.

whats the SSP?
The pre-season Supplemental Selection Period (SSP) runs from after the rookie draft until the end of pre-season, where clubs can fill any further spots on their rookie list (often created by long-term injuries or premature retirements, sometimes just a spot that was left open during the draft as well).

The players eligible to be selected that way have to nominate for the most recent draft and not be selected, or are otherwise eligible as a delisted free agent or other previously retired player (commonly referred to as the Mumford rule).

They usually train-on with the clubs during pre-season and if they impress the club they're training with then they are signed directly by that club (assuming player and club agree to terms).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back