Free Agency Conor McKenna - comes out of retirement to join Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

He's from County Tyrone, Northern Ireland and therefore part of the United Kingdom; for the time being at least ;)
Fair enough, didn't know that. Northern Ireland is doing better than the rest of the UK because they're still part of the EUs customs area. The customs border is in the Irish Sea, so if Britain goes down the tubes economically, I doubt it will drag Northern Ireland down with it. Anyway, back to McKenna...

Last edited:
Northern Ireland is doing better than the rest of the UK because they're still part of the EUs customs area. The customs border is in the Irish Sea, so if Britain goes down the tubes economically, I doubt it will drag Northern Ireland down with it. Anyway, back to McKenna...

Na Northern Ireland has no standing parliament, Stormont, over bickering on the TCP so they are unable to allocate new funds, they are basically a rudderless ship. The south of England is still doing way better than the rest, to say NI is doing better than Wales or Scotland is to say a man with a bone is better off than one without. Most of my family live in the UK and I read their news daily. NI is in an economic crisis, don't believe otherwise. Play on.

Last edited:

That was reported by Twomey that it’s Geelong but has also suggested Lions are a massive chance
I feel like player managers playing up a trade link to Geelong is a way of planting the flag with the competition that their player is about to get underpaid and you can probably get him for better cash

Another way to interpret Mackie’s comments is that it’s actually not clear if he wants to come but they aren’t focusing on that at the moment.
Mentioning he can go on the rookie list means it’s something they’ll look at after the trade period.
If another club offers him a better deal on the main list he might take that.
But we still haven’t heard anything directly from Connor to say he wants to return.

I think I read somewhere that he wanted to come back to Victoria
One of the reporters talked to Brisbane, who said he wasn’t going there as he (McKenna) preferred Victoria. Other than that it doesn’t sound like the media know squat about what he’s doing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hes a completely free hit

True, but still missing a couple of years of footy is still a big ask, especially as the league gets faster/requires more fitness and endurance levels every season.

Probably worth a try for a team in the flag window like Brisbane or Geelong, makes no sense for a rebuilding outfit (of sorts) like St Kilda.

True, but still missing a couple of years of footy is still a big ask, especially as the league gets faster/requires more fitness and endurance levels every season.

Probably worth a try for a team in the flag window like Brisbane or Geelong, makes no sense for a rebuilding outfit (of sorts) like St Kilda.
hes still been playing professional sport in his time away from AFL, so any kind of transition back into the system would be fairly easy for him i would imagine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back