Free Agency Conor McKenna - comes out of retirement to join Brisbane Lions

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If Tippa requests you why isn’t this guy? Seems Tippa is a man willing to go through the hard work but Conor wants an easy ride to a finalist. Poor.
You act like players are required to suffer on a weak team for a set amount of time to win a flag, or even that they owe something to a club that can delist them at any point. McKenna cna go where he wants.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
You act like players are required to suffer on a weak team for a set amount of time to win a flag, or even that they owe something to a club that can delist them at any point. McKenna cna go where he wants.
I heard all trade season he was coming to my club of choice and now he’s not, so isn’t this just big footy logic my G? at least I didn’t say he was s**t.

If Tippa requests you why isn’t this guy? Seems Tippa is a man willing to go through the hard work but Conor wants an easy ride to a finalist. Poor.
They're vastly different people with different backgrounds, different support networks and different opportunities.

Walla has a long history with Essendon, which is the only club that took a chance on him way back when. His support network is in Melbourne, with the family he adopted himself into when he was 17. In 2022 he's in almost the same position, but now he's 29. The only other club to offer him a spot is on the other side of the country, and the spot is for an SSP rookie probably with a paycheque to match.

McKenna was supposedly very talented in U18s. Gaelic doesn't pay, and Tadhg Kennelly had won both a SAM and an AFL Premiership, so McKenna decided he wanted to be the second man to do both. McKenna's circumstances were probably worse than most players in 2020, and meanwhile his Gaelic club was on the rise, so he went back and won a SAM instead.

Now it's 2022, and he'll be 27 before he plays again. This is realistically his last chance to pick a club with a good chance of both a pay day and an AFL medal in his next contract. Essendon could win a flag in the next 3-5 years, but if you were betting you'd bet on one of the clubs with shorter odds. On top of that, hardly anyone at Essendon now was there before he left, so I don't think it's overly surprising that the main two clubs in the running now are Port and Brisbane, the clubs that Fantasia and Daniher went to (that also have a bit of cap space).

Like Jeremy Cameron, Isaac Smith, Zach Tuohy ...

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
Like Jeremy Cameron, Isaac Smith, Zach Tuohy ...
Zach Tuohy - I’ll let Art Vandelay_ handle that if he wishes. Maybe if you’re lucky, he’ll tag his Carlton mates since I’ve seen him do it multiple times already.

Jeremy Cameron already made a grand final and Isaac Smith won 3 so I see no problems there.

Zach Tuohy - I’ll let Art Vandelay_ handle that if he wishes. Maybe if you’re lucky, he’ll tag his Carlton mates since I’ve seen him do it multiple times already.

Jeremy Cameron already made a grand final and Isaac Smith won 3 so I see no problems there.
So you're only allowed to request a trade to a finalist if you've already played in a Grand Final, but if you have made a Grand Final then it's fine? What an absolutely baffling moral position to take.

Some guy threw up 3 names at me, what did you expect? He could’ve wrote Dangerfield, Stanley, Rohan and you get a different post altogether.
There's exactly one reason while you feel differently towards McKenna than those 6 names and it's the colours they wear. And if McKenna had decided to go to Geelong you wouldn't have been in here calling him 'poor' for it either.

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
There's exactly one reason while you feel differently towards McKenna than those 6 names and it's the colours they wear. And if McKenna had decided to go to Geelong you wouldn't have been in here calling him 'poor' for it either.
There’s a handful of teams I don’t dislike, yours being one of them and if he played for your club then I wouldn’t be calling him poor.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Why? He is not breaking any rules by going to Brisbane. It is not unfair just because they’re a good side already.
He's basically a free agent signing and for fairness he should just be able to request a contract and bottom teams get first option i.e. North then WCE etc.

He's basically a free agent signing and for fairness he should just be able to request a contract and bottom teams get first option i.e. North then WCE etc.
:rolleyes:
What difference would that have made. As a free agent he still had the choice to make his own decision to go to Brisbane.

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Free agency and waivers are two different things in American sports. Waivers are for players cut during a season, free agency is for those cut at the end of a season.

Back