Free Agency Conor McKenna - comes out of retirement to join Brisbane Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Awesome likely plays Wing/half-back at the Lions
I don't reckon he ever played wing with Essendon - I'm not sure he has the footy brain for it to find enough of the ball there. Up forward he was never able to reach any great heights either.
I think he'll be a good line breaking half back option for you guys but if you play him in other roles he'll be really inconsistent.

Semantics. Point being you can't quit on a team and then choose your own team. What's the point of the draft if a player can do this?
Liam Jones did
In a way Tippa has too. though given he was still in our cap when he signed on I guess that's not too bad. We did get an MSD pick for him though.

not too bothered we don't get McKenna back. His contract with us was up at the end of 2021 too, so not sure we have any grounds to press for a compensation pick (ill take a King and Mooney media ban for their part in piling on though :p)

With this news, the resigning of Hepp looks like another masterstroke from Adrian 👍
can't cut all your experience I guess
Stewart was probably the one I'd have left. but that's me.

not sure McKenna and Essendon are the best fit. How long does he stay chasing that success considering how far we are from it.
McGrath, D'Ambrosio & Redman will play that HBF runner role and they should invest in that combo.

can't cut all your experience I guess
Stewart was probably the one I'd have left. but that's me.

not sure McKenna and Essendon are the best fit. How long does he stay chasing that success considering how far we are from it.
McGrath, D'Ambrosio & Redman will play that HBF runner role and they should invest in that combo.

That’s a question for all the list i guess, as time ticks by.
Gotta hope old Kev and his crew get behind Scott now … good luck …

Liam Jones did
In a way Tippa has too. though given he was still in our cap when he signed on I guess that's not too bad. We did get an MSD pick for him though.

not too bothered we don't get McKenna back. His contract with us was up at the end of 2021 too, so not sure we have any grounds to press for a compensation pick (ill take a King and Mooney media ban for their part in piling on though :p)
Liam Jones was banned by afl and not sure if he was out of contract? He didn't choose to leave Carlton

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think Essendon would have been that interested given we have too many halfbacks as it is. McGrath, Hind, Redman, D'Ambrosio, Heppell.
Not sure I'd be too keen yelling at the TV after he's had another brain fade anyway.

I don't think Essendon would have been that interested given we have too many halfbacks as it is. McGrath, Hind, Redman, D'Ambrosio, Heppell.
Not sure I'd be too keen yelling at the TV after he's had another brain fade anyway.
If you look at our list we have an abandance of halfbacks, even if McKenna did not select Bisbane.
However McKenna provides depth of quality. A rebuilding team such as Essendon to pass on McKenna because of some perceived "too many"halfbacks is an error. IMO Essendon should have put more work into making sure he chose to return to Essendon.

If you look at our list we have an abandance of halfbacks, even if McKenna did not select Bisbane.
However McKenna provides depth of quality. A rebuilding team such as Essendon to pass on McKenna because of some perceived "too many"halfbacks is an error. IMO Essendon should have put more work into making sure he chose to return to Essendon.
I'd have loved to see him back but the reality is that he's 27 in March and list spots are tight with the AFL not expanding back to pre-COVID levels. He might come back to us if he wins his flag with you but he'll be into his 30's if he were to get a flag with us. Which is why most Essendon fans won't begrudge him choosing you guys.

Pretty rapt with this. Richy is nearing the end, and we could use some more rebound off halfback. Funny case of how the SSP rule can basically get you a decent established player for free (only cost his salary for a 1 year contract + a rookie list spot).

Pretty rapt with this. Richy is nearing the end, and we could use some more rebound off halfback. Funny case of how the SSP rule can basically get you a decent established player for free (only cost his salary for a 1 year contract + a rookie list spot).
I was at the Round 12 Fremantle versus Brisbane game at Optus last season. In that game in the Dockers speedy small forwards played a huge role in us winning the game. From an opposition supporter view Mckenna helps address one of the few weaknesses your team has. Dunkley and Ashcroft will add a heap to your midfield next year so your midfield depth will be hugely improved too and that would be the only other area that I think would be considered a weakness in 2022. Midfield depth I mean. You look set up for a massive tilt at the flag in 2022 and have had the best off season of any team in recent memory even if you loose most of your draft picks in 2023 due to matching the Ashcroft and Fletcher bids in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back