Roast Conservative, Stubborn or an Idiot? Or all the above?

Remove this Banner Ad

You still haven't really given me much of an argument that he isn't a spud. I would put Hughes in the spud category.

Would love to get some reasonable discussion on it.

I cbf on.a Fri night analysing all his games while watching the footy n relaxing.

IMO he played well most weeks in 2022

Amiss played his first game against North Melbourne and kicked 2 goals, his first which was delivered to him by Treacy.

12 months of development later sees Banfield, a trying Taberner and scratchie champion Fyfe picked instead.

2x.webp

The desperation for these 4 points is concerning. This isn't about the players responding.

Nearly thinking clearly again after last week, but could it be as simple as we played too tall and it didn't work? Threw off any semblance of forward movement, which under pressure, meant the whole thing gummed up and went to s**t?

At which point we're back to one less tall and Treacy was the least successful. He did get in some good positions, but hands let him down. I'm surprised we went Banners and not Sturt though.

Too early to start panicking; Treacy will get another shot, Amiss will be playing by mid season and hopefully Sturt gets a run. Let's see where we are in after the Brissie game.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nearly thinking clearly again after last week, but could it be as simple as we played too tall and it didn't work? Threw off any semblance of forward movement, which under pressure, meant the whole thing gummed up and went to s**t?

At which point we're back to one less tall and Treacy was the least successful. He did get in some good positions, but hands let him down. I'm surprised we went Banners and not Sturt though.

Too early to start panicking; Treacy will get another shot, Amiss will be playing by mid season and hopefully Sturt gets a run. Let's see where we are in after the Brissie game.

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Season could be a write off by midway through the year, if we keep filling the team with also rans like this week. It might not matter who we play by then.

Amiss played his first game against North Melbourne and kicked 2 goals, his first which was delivered to him by Treacy.

12 months of development later sees Banfield, a trying Taberner and scratchie champion Fyfe picked instead.

2x.webp

The desperation for these 4 points is concerning. This isn't about the players responding.
JLo appears to have drawn a line through Fyfe in the midfield, which is strange because we drafted, traded for Corbett, Emmett.
Then retained Sturt, for what purpose? To play Banfield anyway.
Then we draft Worner, Johnson and then play Hughes on a wing.
Erasmus is another forward/mid that could rotate but the reality is he wont get a game unless there are injuries.
Then you have Wagner, a HB to a position that is already filled.
Amiss is a revelation as that smart forward who knows when to lead or find space. Penny still hasn't dropped.
Sure Treacy was poor, but with slow delivery, time for the opposition to setup defensively it was always going to be mission impossible.
My only hope is that maybe they can see the similarities with M Harvey, who made finals one year and delivered a false dawn the next.
Maybe the experts have it right and we miss finals this year, not due to the list, as proven by a change of coach previously.
To me it appears that we are missing more talent off the field than what's available list wise, and team selection, positions are not creating
a brand of footy to take the league by storm.
Defensively we are very good, but the best defence is offence and I don't see that watching Freo.
3 arguably first round picks, and none playing and people wonder why the natives are so restless.

JLo appears to have drawn a line through Fyfe in the midfield, which is strange because we drafted, traded for Corbett, Emmett.
Then retained Sturt, for what purpose? To play Banfield anyway.
Then we draft Worner, Johnson and then play Hughes on a wing.
Erasmus is another forward/mid that could rotate but the reality is he wont get a game unless there are injuries.
Then you have Wagner, a HB to a position that is already filled.
Amiss is a revelation as that smart forward who knows when to lead or find space. Penny still hasn't dropped.
Sure Treacy was poor, but with slow delivery, time for the opposition to setup defensively it was always going to be mission impossible.
My only hope is that maybe they can see the similarities with M Harvey, who made finals one year and delivered a false dawn the next.
Maybe the experts have it right and we miss finals this year, not due to the list, as proven by a change of coach previously.
To me it appears that we are missing more talent off the field than what's available list wise, and team selection, positions are not creating
a brand of footy to take the league by storm.
Defensively we are very good, but the best defence is offence and I don't see that watching Freo.
3 arguably first round picks, and none playing and people wonder why the natives are so restless.
Stop it man! You're making sense.:thumbsu:

adam savage mythbusters GIF

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Despite his poor form would prefer we stuck with Treacy.

Tabs looks cooked.

At least let’s roll the dice on a young player improving.

We should have dropped players who were responsible for our glacial ball movement if anything.

But Acres can't kick a football

According to some on here he's s**t. Fact is he isn't and has improved. We have lost drive through our wings from a powerful player.

The pile on after 1 game around here was idiotic , unless there is 90% of the iceberg underwater then it’ll go down as another massive Freo trade blunder

Someone smarter than me will have to explain how we keep on making the same dumb mistakes over and over even though the decision makers are completely different , I’m sure there is some snazy catchphrase for it in the businesses world

The pile on after 1 game around here was idiotic , unless there is 90% of the iceberg underwater then it’ll go down as another massive Freo trade blunder

Someone smarter than me will have to explain how we keep on making the same dumb mistakes over and over even though the decision makers are completely different , I’m sure there is some snazy catchphrase for it in the businesses world
It's almost as if a player coming to a new club might not play their best game first up. That they might need some adjustment time...

Conservative, conservative selection, and a conservative attitude.

This might be an unpopular opinion and I pray that I am wrong but I think we have grossly overestimated where we are actually at based on last year's unexpected success. Hughes, Taberner, and Banfield shouldn't be pulling on the purple over any of Amiss, Johnson, Erasmus, Sturt, Treacy, and Walker.

This week alone, against North Melbourne our emergencies are Johnson, Treacy, Amiss, and Walters. I just don't get it.

This might be an unpopular opinion and I pray that I am wrong but I think we have grossly overestimated where we are actually at based on last year's unexpected success. Hughes, Taberner, and Banfield shouldn't be pulling on the purple over any of Amiss, Johnson, Erasmus, Sturt, Treacy, and Walker.

This week alone, against North Melbourne our emergencies are Johnson, Treacy, Amiss, and Walters. I just don't get it.
Still a very young side we're putting out though.

It's almost as if a player coming to a new club might not play their best game first up. That they might need some adjustment time...

Oh yeah , I’m a few kg above my fighting weight but I’d hardly call myself a massive pile on

1 lonely dissenter in amongst a great big JOM wankfest as far as I can see

Oh yeah , I’m a few kg above my fighting weight but I’d hardly call myself a massive pile on

1 lonely dissenter in amongst a great big JOM wankfest as far as I can see
I hate to break it to you, your take (I'm guessing) on O'Meara (and not the only one who fits into this category) was not so special and unique. Quite a few had it, same time or prior.

So you're saying it's not the content of the take that counts, but just how many have it?

Banfield at least can hit the scoreboard regularly. Tabs is either on or a total
liability and what doesn’t make sense is that he was subbed last week.
Yet Treacy is the one dropped?
Going by the finals, you would expect that was close to our best picked.
Banfield was dropped, and Hughes, Wilson were destined to play out his days at Peel.
Amiss was a highlight, inspired move, and there were more waiting in the
wings.
Instead we have the return of the foot soldier, a midfield that doesn’t kick goals
and the skills of Mundy sorely missed.
NOD is the only one capable of being an offensive weapon, and kicking goals
outside 50.
You can forget about top 4, we will be lucky to scrape into the 8 unless we get
daring.
How long before Fyfe, Walters are done? If Fyfe has a choice between forward
or nothing, I think he is gone.
I don’t see Fyfe, Walters, Hughes, Wilson, Tabs, Colyer in our future plans.

Despite his poor form would prefer we stuck with Treacy.

Tabs looks cooked.

At least let’s roll the dice on a young player improving.

We should have dropped players who were responsible for our glacial ball movement if anything.
But they were our best players according to the stats 🤪

It's more our age that's relevant, just as it would inform on any inconsistencies within and between games. The point on Mundy is a good one, as it might be more informative to look at how many in the various age brackets.
Just on the age post it seems like a non issue. All the opposition seemed to be young as well.

Experience of the coaches likely a bigger factor, which is why last week's result was disappointing (as well as the comparative player availability).

Sure Lyon is obviously more experienced but he is coaching his first game with that list. No way we should have lost a game due to coaching IMO.

Just on the age post it seems like a non issue. All the opposition seemed to be young as well.

Experience of the coaches likely a bigger factor, which is why last week's result was disappointing (as well as the comparative player availability).

Sure Lyon is obviously more experienced but he is coaching his first game with that list. No way we should have lost a game due to coaching IMO.
No it's not irrelevant if we're talking consistency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back