Considerations for moving overseas

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 7, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Calgary Flames
Applied for a job the other day in the UK and it's got me thinking about what things I'd need to consider if I had to move. Bearing in mind that this would be my first job out of uni and that I haven't lived out of home what things would I need to think about?

Things I've already thought about have been getting a SIM card, health insurance, bank account, International drivers license, and some of the more obvious things such as an apartment etc. Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

What are other people's experience's of moving overseas for work?

When I was in the U.K. there was a weird issue with renting.

You couldn't rent a flat without a bank account. But you couldn't get a bank account without an address.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Applied for a job the other day in the UK and it's got me thinking about what things I'd need to consider if I had to move. Bearing in mind that this would be my first job out of uni and that I haven't lived out of home what things would I need to think about?

Things I've already thought about have been getting a SIM card, health insurance, bank account, International drivers license, and some of the more obvious things such as an apartment etc. Is there anything else I haven't thought of?

What are other people's experience's of moving overseas for work?
tinder account?

Go on youtube and check out every pommy accent so you're prepared not to scrunch your face up when you hear how awful some of them sound

may i ask what job you going for?

when doing the whole uk stint, i found it easier to have a few years experience at home before heading over...

but yeah... National Insurance is probably the first thing you should organize... can take a few weeks before you get the card in the mail

may i ask what job you going for?

when doing the whole uk stint, i found it easier to have a few years experience at home before heading over...

but yeah... National Insurance is probably the first thing you should organize... can take a few weeks before you get the card in the mail

It's as a trainee farm grain buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cannot for the life of me understand why so many Australian's pack up and move to dreary, damp, cold, expensive London. What am I missing? I've been there twice and don't get it.

I wouldn't be living in London, in a small town just outside of Cambridge

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cannot for the life of me understand why so many Australian's pack up and move to dreary, damp, cold, expensive London. What am I missing? I've been there twice and don't get it.
They speak English, so it means most people can find work. It is in Europe so it is a great base to travel Europe from. Pretty easy to work out really

They speak English, so it means most people can find work. It is in Europe so it is a great base to travel Europe from. Pretty easy to work out really

They speak English in most other European countries as well. I have a friend working over there at the moment in the housing industry, struggles to make ends meet on a weekly basis yet was getting paid 75-80k per year back in Australia. Someone else I know is working in Berlin, earning less and living a much better lifestyle. So no, I really don't get it.

They speak English in most other European countries as well. I have a friend working over there at the moment in the housing industry, struggles to make ends meet on a weekly basis yet was getting paid 75-80k per year back in Australia. Someone else I know is working in Berlin, earning less and living a much better lifestyle. So no, I really don't get it.
Please... not speaking the local language would eliminate so many jobs and limit opportunties severly, therefore living in the UK makes sense for a lot of people

Please... not speaking the local language would eliminate so many jobs and limit opportunties severly, therefore living in the UK makes sense for a lot of people

Learn the language then? You know another English speaking country? Australia. I'd sooner move to Canada than the expensive shithole that is the UK.

We were in Paris, London and Scotland last year, US south west 5 years ago. I mentioned to the kids that it might be fun to live O/S for a year. They were definite that London was where they wanted to go.

We were in Paris, London and Scotland last year, US south west 5 years ago. I mentioned to the kids that it might be fun to live O/S for a year. They were definite that London was where they wanted to go.

Well geez I'd probably pick London as well. Glasgow is just as dreary as London and Paris is nothing to write home about, everyone's rude. Take them to Berlin, Munich, Lisbon, Barcelona, Vienna, Prague, Amsterdam, Oslo, Copenhagen, Budapest and see if they'd still pick London.

Well geez I'd probably pick London as well. Glasgow is just as dreary as London and Paris is nothing to write home about, everyone's rude. Take them to Berlin, Munich, Lisbon, Barcelona, Vienna, Prague, Amsterdam, Oslo, Copenhagen, Budapest and see if they'd still pick London.

Where they don't speak a word of the local language?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back