Contact below the knees... Time to go!

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been fed up with this rule for a while. It is utter, utter garbage.
It NEVER feels right to see a guy go down to pick up the ball and the guy standing there not going for the ball gets the free kick.
Just pay a free kick if someone slides in legs first.
What a trash rule and I'm sick of seeing them paid.
2 of them paid within 5 minutes tonight.

Yeah it’s s**t

They need to stop people sliding around on the ground in the wet into people’s legs but they should just call it “dangerous slide” as opposed to the current nonsense.

Btw the players are in violent agreement about the rule staying.

The rule is fine, the application isn't.

Two controversial ones tonight, neither of which actually involved players sliding. Every time the umpires pay one you hear 'contact below the knees' through the microphone. The free against Brayshaw was ridiculous. He was already on the ground and Burgoyne dived over him hitting him in the head. It's gotten out of hand.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical knee jerk rule. It should never have been brought in the first place

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

It’s a harsh rule that we need to get used to. We love the toughness of players putting their head over the ball which is being taken away and what’s happening now is that players are being rewarded for NOT doing that which we hate. But the reason for the rule is to teach players and kids never to go to ground but to bend over to pick up/ contest a ground ball purely to avoid the risk of head or spinal trauma

Out of interest, the rule is this:

15.4.5 Prohibited Contact and Payment of Free Kick

A field Umpire shall award a Free Kick against a Player where they are satisfied that the Player has made Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player.

A Player makes Prohibited Contact with an opposition Player if the Player:
(a) makes contact or attempts to make contact with any part of their body with an opposition Player in a manner likely to cause injury;
(i) above the shoulders (including the top of the shoulders); or
(ii) below the knees.

Now I'm just waiting for the day someone gets done for attempting to slide into the legs.

The rule is fine, the application isn't.

Two controversial ones tonight, neither of which actually involved players sliding. Every time the umpires pay one you hear 'contact below the knees' through the microphone. The free against Brayshaw was ridiculous. He was already on the ground and Burgoyne dived over him hitting him in the head. It's gotten out of hand.

There were 3.

One paid against Jones in the first quarter. He was already down low from a contest ball comes back he goes to grab it, Hawk runs into him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back