Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
West Coast's second half was blistering. **** they've ran into some form. Interesting to see how they fare at their bogey ground next week but atm they're a potent weapon.
Might be dangerous if we decide to play four quarters at some stage.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
WCE, Geelong and Pies for mine, I draw the line after those 3 sides.

GWS cant mix it with the big boys at the G
Isn't that what people said about WC 12 months ago? These rules about what can't happen seem to be hard and fast until they're not and then everyone is left scratching their heads about how they got it wrong. GWS have a shitload of talent and firepower and are absolutely in the mix.

Not sure where Richmond stand after they were soundly beaten by North.

Just swap them. North now a contender, Richmond now a pretender.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Isn't that what people said about WC 12 months ago? These rules about what can't happen seem to be hard and fast until they're not and then everyone is left scratching their heads about how they got it wrong. GWS have a shitload of talent and firepower and are absolutely in the mix.

You've matched up well against the Pies at the G, but haven't seen much against other teams at the G from WC.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Last year plenty said WC couldn't play the G. If your opponent is Richmond or Geelong I'd be backing them in over you. If your opponent is Collingwood I'd back you in.
Last year plenty said WC couldn't play at the G - and therefore couldn't go all the way. Then they won the GF at the MCG. You can tip whoever you like but that's what happened. Where did that leave the earlier claims it was simply impossible? The certainties disappeared pretty quickly, didn't they?

Similarly, insisting that GWS simply can't win it - because MCG - seems shortsighted.

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Last year plenty said WC couldn't play at the G - and therefore couldn't go all the way. Then they won the GF at the MCG. You can tip whoever you like but that's what happened. Where did that leave the earlier claims it was simply impossible? The certainties disappeared pretty quickly, didn't they?

Similarly, insisting that GWS simply can't win it - because MCG - seems shortsighted.
I don't think you understand my point. Richmond and Geelong are better than WCE on the G. WCE are better than the Pies on the G. I'm not saying it's impossible for WCE to win on the G, just that you need results to go your way for it to work in your favour.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't think you understand my point. Richmond and Geelong are better than WCE on the G. WCE are better than the Pies on the G. I'm not saying it's impossible for WCE to win on the G, just that you need results to go your way for it to work in your favour.
You're right. I don't understand your point. WC did what they needed at the MCG to win a flag (which is the only thing that matters) despite many saying it wouldn't happen. The same is entirely possible with regard to GWS.

HurleyHepsHird

Ghost Stories for the End of the World
Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
This doesn't seem right at all.

WC smashed Richmond last year, when Richmond were flying. The Tigers were playing much better footy than the Cats this year. That game at the G and I would still have thought WC win. Collingwood at the G has historically been the WC bogey, bigger even than the Cats at Kardinia park. Collingwood also smashed Richmond at the MCG. Finally, Collingwood made the Grandfinal. Of all the sides for WC to win against, Collingwood would have posed the biggest challenge, it's their home ground and they had a huge historical advantage.

Likewise, Geelong is a much, much easier prospect for WC at the MCG than the Cattery. We will see how WC are going come finals, but the end of the year tends to be when the recent squad plays its best footy. A final v Geelong at Kardinia park, I back Geelong. At the MCG I back WC. Injuries permitting for either side.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That's preposterous son.

Tom Foolery.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Just to clarify, WC are still playing shaky ass footy and will probably lose to Sydney next week.

On form, Geelong, some space, GWS, then Collingwood.

WC only stringing together quarters. If they play 3/4 of a match like the GF, they can trouble anyone. They play a full game as with Melbourne in the finals, they are a huge threat. Still in 2nd gear though which means they could be beaten by any side.

Jun 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
The Beams trade will be seen as a major waste in a couple of years.

You don't pay that much for a car with that many kms on the clock. Not in the modern game.
Premiership windows don't come around that often. You go for it. Much like the Cats with Kelly, possibly a poor medium term decision but not going to die wondering flicking a top 10 (at the end of last season, now probably top 3/4) mid to the reigning premier.

Terrific year ahead of us all, 5 genuine contenders right now, Geelong, GWS, Collingwood, West Coast and Richmond. Throw in a young Brisbane and a smokie like the Crows and we could be in for a terrific end of the year.
I still don’t understand what people see in the Crows.

They won’t make the 8.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I still don’t understand what people see in the Crows.

They won’t make the 8.

Agreed I don’t get it either. The only team of quality they had defeated is Freo, and that was a shitshow. I think everyone is expecting them to become the team they were in 2017, and that’s not going to happen.

Freo or Hawthorn are much bigger Smokey’s.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Just to clarify, WC are still playing shaky ass footy and will probably lose to Sydney next week.

On form, Geelong, some space, GWS, then Collingwood.

WC only stringing together quarters. If they play 3/4 of a match like the GF, they can trouble anyone. They play a full game as with Melbourne in the finals, they are a huge threat. Still in 2nd gear though which means they could be beaten by any side.
Playing shakey football I agree but your order doesn't make sense. How can those teams be ahead of West Coast, who the Eagles beat? What have GWS did of late? beat the bottom 3 teams in the comp that's what. As mentioned they lost to one of the better sides at the G in Hawthorn who atm aren't even in the 8. You can't give a side that much credit based on 3 weeks of football, Because they beat nobodies. If you're going off right now then that makes Freo the best side in the comp as they just knocked off Collingwood at the MCG riding a 7 game winning streak ( even they didn't beat anyone of real significance bar an injury hit Richmond )

As a whole West Coast are ahead of those sides easily. They've beaten them both, and pretty easily really. They've won 5 games straight ( which matters based off your GWS assumption ) and came back from a deficit in Adelaide. All Losses were against top 8 sides.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them get knocked off against Sydney in Sydney either. Haven't won there for 20 years. What I said still stands though, and if you're basing your assumption on where you '' believe '' they will finish as you believe in their potential, well then that's fair enough and a different story.

HurleyHepsHird

Oct 2, 2011
Between the Lines
AFL Club
West Coast
Playing shakey football I agree but your order doesn't make sense. How can those teams be ahead of West Coast, who the Eagles beat? What have GWS did of late? beat the bottom 3 teams in the comp that's what. As mentioned they lost to one of the better sides at the G in Hawthorn who atm aren't even in the 8. You can't give a side that much credit based on 3 weeks of football, Because they beat nobodies. If you're going off right now then that makes Freo the best side in the comp as they just knocked off Collingwood at the MCG riding a 7 game winning streak ( even they didn't beat anyone of real significance bar an injury hit Richmond )

As a whole West Coast are ahead of those sides easily. They've beaten them both, and pretty easily really. They've won 5 games straight ( which matters based off your GWS assumption ) and came back from a deficit in Adelaide. All Losses were against top 8 sides.

Wouldn't be surprised to see them get knocked off against Sydney in Sydney either. Haven't won there for 20 years. What I said still stands though, and if you're basing your assumption on where you '' believe '' they will finish as you believe in their potential, well then that's fair enough and a different story.
It doesn't matter who the Eagles beat in the regular season, it's how the overall wins stack up for finals. Geelong is the clear front runner though.

The thing I will say about WC is that they have an avg/above average midfield, but it's been well down on form for most of the year. They are 17th for inside 50s yet still stacking up some simply OK wins.

The lack of performing ruckman has hurt. But two things worth noting. WC have a lot of forwards, genuinely good forwards. If they even come close to breaking even the team will smash most opponents. We saw it yesterday. Just a regular number of inside 50s and a similar number to WBD and they kick a huge score, looking pretty lazy at times.

NN back and some added fitness, that becomes a genuinely interesting proposition. Absent the odd wasteful day which does happen, there is real goal kicking firepower there, who only probably GWS exceed.

Finally, they can do it more than 1 way. Mostly it's been a deliberate chip/kick style. Then v Melbourne they ran the ball. Then v Adelaide they played a high tackling contested game. Then v the WBD it was through clean centre bounces and sharp forward entries. That's the kind of genuine versatility that defines more experienced sides and is also evidence they have some moves, when the lethargic team earlier in the year seemed vulnerable to faster running, strong clearance and chaos ball style play into the F50, like PA and Brisbane employed. That kind of marks the WBD best this season and WC matched it (though the WBD dropped off).

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Not willing to draw a line through Richmond.
i am. getting destroyed by contenders is one thing, getting destroyed by dogs and north is another. the fact that we are 7-4 with a percentage about 100 shows that we struggle to win and lose big when we dont. not gonna go far like that. will finish 7-8 which means winning 4 on the trott mostly away, no chance.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

Maybe. If they beat us there later this season then it changes the narrative, but as it stands, getting torched by the hawks and then beating up on the dees isn’t a great form guide.

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Maybe. If they beat us there later this season then it changes the narrative, but as it stands, getting torched by the hawks and then beating up on the dees isn’t a great form guide.
"The narrative" counts for nothing. It's not story time.

How about this for a form line? They're second on the ladder with an 8-3 record and a percentage of 140. They have the best performed key forward in Cameron and two of the best midfielders in the comp in Kelly and Coniglio. I don't buy the rule that they can't win it because MCG.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool

I completely understand where you’re coming from. Different sides matchup better on others, it’s not linear where you can say ‘well, we own the pies who own the Tiges, therefore we will own the Tiges’. I can’t believe people still think that way.

I think it’s ridiculous to suggest that bc wce pumped Richmond in Perth last year, that they will beat them at the G as well. Didn’t anyone learn anything from Adelaide v Richmond in 2017?

Back