Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

GWS have to lift and they're going to have to do it asap. Arguably the hardest run home and their next two games are

Richmond MCG
Collingwood Spotless

If they don't win this week it will be 3 straight losses, and playing a side who would have either lost 3 straight themselves or coming off a season defining win away to West Coast. They'll also be playing for their lives. Lose the next two and top 4 could start to slip away meaning a herculean Bulldog type effort will be needed to claim the Prem. It doesn't get any easier after that with

Port@Adelaide Oval

Then Sydney, Hawthorn and Bulldogs the positive being they're all at home. No one would want to play the Bulldogs the way they're going. Gold Coast to finish who an under 12's side could beat in their sleep the way their travelling since, well, their existence.

Tonight's game will solve one piece in the puzzle short term for either side. West Coast will look set for top 4 and the double chance ( possibly top 2 ) or the Pies will be galvanised and breathe new life into their season.

Richmond vs GWS is an absolute belter and another heavyweight showdown as is the Sunday Twighlight game in Adelaide. Port vs Brizzy holy s**t, massive.

Hawks vs Freo - Beauty

Dons vs Roos - Frenetic.

Massive round of footy with other sides looking to write some wrongs.

West Coast are the team to beat in my opinion. They are so balanced and Yeo/Shuey/Gaff is an elite top 3 mids. Throw Nic Nat in and I think a lot of teams will struggle particularly with a home final.

Cats/Pies - Not sure at the moment. Pies would be my pick of the two.

GWS - Big chance.

Tigs - Outside chance depending on how we finish the year. Dream scenario finish fourth and play Geelong at the G.

Tiges - Outside chance depending on how we finish the year. Dream scenario finish fourth and play Geelong at the G.
Problem there is that scenario works to everyone else's favour as well. Makes it very difficult for one of the MCG's finals tenants.

Don't worry WC will be fully fit to put Geelong to the sword if they meet in finals
Lol. At least it's not umpires this week

Our earlier game showed just where you're at

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's what I thought and feared. If Collingwood were a contender, they'd go into Perth and win last night. And..........

Go on to win the Premiership.

even had they lost, I believe they'd still get there again. Look at how well they played last night. De Goey's last quarter goal, brilliant. It's what he can do is those big moments. You're going to see more of that from here on in.

And West Coast. WTF? TBH you played well. Or good enough, and strong enough. You just lost the game in the last 15 minutes. I believe that will be the difference this year, as opposed to last. And that double chance, man you pretty much had 2nd all but sewn up IF you won.

Weagles were so good for 3.5 quarters around the ball swooping up the loose crumbs and sweeping away up the field ( sounds like a magpie )

Blew a golden chance. 1992 allover again,lost by a point after leading at home to the Pies. Played in a Grand final the year before, went on to win the flag. At least you have that as maybe a good omen:)

I’ve been saying for awhile that I don’t think West Coasts form has been great, particularly after their narrow win against Hawthorn (and then got promptly jumped on by everyone.) Truly, I don’t think anyone’s form in the top 6 is crash hot atm with the exception of Brisbane’s.

I’ve been saying for awhile that I don’t think West Coasts form has been great, particularly after their narrow win against Hawthorn (and then got promptly jumped on by everyone.) Truly, I don’t think anyone’s form in the top 6 is crash hot atm with the exception of Brisbane’s.
before last week Brisbane hadn't had a '' notable '' win since losing at Freo.

Winning two home games against sides outside the 8 and smashing the Saints isn't anything to boast about. Even the Giants have been average anyway. So Brisbane aren't any different. Did blow a lead to bottom Carlton before their win streak too.

Depends on how you view things.

Honestly, I think we're not giving Collingwood their due. We played okay, better than that in patches, but overall just okay. They hung around and hung around in the first half, and then their defensive structures turned it up a notch in the second half. Was a great performance by the Pies.

Honestly, I think we're not giving Collingwood their due. We played okay, better than that in patches, but overall just okay. They hung around and hung around in the first half, and then their defensive structures turned it up a notch in the second half. Was a great performance by the Pies.
True. I think two previous games in wet conditions, plus losing Cripps early, Nic on limited mins and Ryan obviously sore meant we just ran out of legs in the last.

Collingwood never gave up and deserved the win. Hope we can return the favour sometime in the finals.

I’m not sold on West Coast. Everyone went hard on them after they beat up a terrible Fremantle. If you look at their results this season they have been far from impressive. They struggled at home against Melbourne and Gold Coast and were easily beaten by Port Adelaide and lost to a depleted and out of form Collingwood side. Away they’ve been smashed by Sydney, Brisbane and Geelong. I think they drop out of the top four.

The Lions are shaping as a flag dark horse, and I don't see why they can't win it. I still think that it will be Collingwood and West Coast grand final, or even Geelong and West Coast. The top 8 is pretty much set, but the top 6 can move around. What are your thoughts?

Brissy are the real deal, unlikely they will miss finals - one more win will cement that. The real question is how they deal with finals, that's what I want to see and know. Could go one of two ways.

A/ Crumble under the pressure of the step up to finals pressure

Or

B/ Play with freedom and go close if not win it (my tip)

Brissy are the real deal, unlikely they will miss finals - one more win will cement that. The real question is how they deal with finals, that's what I want to see and know. Could go one of two ways.

A/ Crumble under the pressure of the step up to finals pressure

Or

B/ Play with freedom and go close if not win it (my tip)
Lions I think are comparable to 2015 Bulldogs. When it came to finals, we lost in a nailbiter to Adelaide, largely thanks to most of our team being pretty inexperienced, especially in finals. Obviously our run ended a lot better in 2016.

I think it's almost a given that Brisbane make finals from here, but it wouldn't shock me if they don't secure a finals win this time around (unless they manage a Gabba home final)

The only teams currently sitting outside the 8 that I can see squeezing their way in is Port Adelaide and Bulldogs. Both are 1 win out (Dogs also % behind, which makes it harder). Both clubs will also come up against Essendon, who currently sits 8th, making these essentially 8 point games. They both also have 1 or 2 difficult games coming up, but would otherwise be going in as favourites (or close to it) for all the other ones.

Essendon have a fairly rough run home, so I think it's more likely than not that they drop out of finals by the end of year (likely with Port replacing them). GWS and Adelaide both sit on the same number of wins as Essendon, although with a higher percentage, so these two really can't afford to slip up either.

The teams I'd be 100% confident are making finals are Geelong, Collingwood, Brisbane, West Coast and Richmond

Back