Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs do this every year it seems. Drop some stupid games to teams we should have beaten convincingly, then we really push some of the stronger and more difficult sides.

In 2018 we beat Geelong, came within a goal of Sydney, 3 points from Richmond and beat Essendon by a few goals. Finished bottom 6

This year, we've beaten Sydney, Hawks, flogged Richmond, and beat Brisbane. Also got pumped by Carlton, and currently sit bottom 4

Probably finish bottom 6 again this year, but fully expect to continue the trend of losing to lower sides while pushing the top sides
indeed

I've provided plenty of facts. You've taken offence to those facts and thrown the toys out.

You're only a contender if you finish top 2 and get finals access to your fortress.
The same facts could be applied to Geelong, and the same conclusion reached.

Let's see if I can do this right.

Any decent teams Geelong beat, you 'match up well on them' and those wins do not count.
Teams you beat that are lower on the ladder are easy expected wins, and do not count.
The only games that are meaningful are losses.

How does Geelong's season stack up on that front, because I have got say, I am not convinced about Geelong. Other than teams they match up well on, and some easy beats, they haven't done anything.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Any decent teams Geelong beat, you 'match up well on them' and those wins do not count.
Teams you beat that are lower on the ladder are easy expected wins, and do not count.

How does Geelong's season stack up on that front, because I have got say, I am not convinced about Geelong. Other than teams they match up well on, and some easy beats, they haven't done anything.

Lol. Silly thing to say.
Long way to go but the cats have done plenty this season already.

We were talking about West Coast in Melbourne, your easy draw and the fact that you were awarded two home finals at your fortress. Keep up.

I know we had an easy interstate kill in Victoria earlier in the season.

We were talking about West Coast in Melbourne, your easy draw and the fact that you were awarded two home finals at your fortress. Keep up.

WC haven't had an easy draw. It was ranked as one of the hardest going by opponent ladder position at the half way point.

Also, WC have won their last 7 matches in Melbourne. You really are the Adz of Geelong posters.

Lol easy? We've played every top 8 side this year for a 6 and 2 record.

There's a delightfully naff whiff of irony when a Cats supporter complains about another club's fixture advantages.

Geelong easily enjoys the best home ground/fixture advantage in the league. They're the only club that gets a non-Victorian like home ground advantage, which they share with no other Victorian club. They play on their own unique ground against primarily non-Victorian teams and yet still somehow manage to play half their 'away' games in Melbourne.

It's an armchair ride year in, year out. And it's perfectly encapsulated in Geelong's record since the '11 premiership. Brilliant H/A records followed by complete capitulation in the finals.

There's a delightfully naff whiff of irony when a Cats supporter complains about another club's fixture advantages.

Geelong easily enjoys the best home ground/fixture advantage in the league. They're the only club that gets a non-Victorian like home ground advantage, which they share with no other Victorian club. They play on their own unique ground against primarily non-Victorian teams and yet still somehow manage to play half their 'away' games in Melbourne.

It's an armchair ride year in, year out. And it's perfectly encapsulated in Geelong's record since the '11 premiership. Brilliant H/A records followed by complete capitulation in the finals.
Lol. Can’t have it both ways though old bean. If, as you say, we are the most advantaged by our home ground, then we must be the most disadvantaged when we play away. As we do, quite often.
Played away 8 times so far this year-lost 1 of them. Doing ok despite massive disadvantage we face!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong easily enjoys the best home ground/fixture advantage in the league.
That's clearly West Coast. 12 games at Optus plus finals. Geelong get 9 with no finals. :thumbsu:

And under half of our away games are in Melb. More than half are interstate. We also play home games away from our home ground.

You blokes play 10 games a year away from your home ground, we play 13. :thumbsu:

Talk about a leg-up

We also don't need finals at our home ground to win premierships.

Lol easy? We've played every top 8 side this year for a 6 and 2 record.
Last year. I'm not sure what's in the water in the west but not many of you blokes can comprehend basic English

Do you mean they must have played themselves and won that game? Good effort.
There a strange bunch Eagles supporters. They're like flies. They buzz around in numbers, make no impact and merely exist to annoy.

That's clearly West Coast. 12 games at Optus plus finals. Geelong get 9 with no finals. :thumbsu:

And under half of our away games are in Melb. More than half are interstate. We also play home games away from our home ground.

You blokes play 10 games a year away from your home ground, we play 13. :thumbsu:

Talk about a leg-up

We also don't need finals at our home ground to win premierships.

That's only because you have the luxury of playing two 'home' games at the G, in what should be the perfect preparation for finals.

Geelong gets on the plane a mere 6 times this year, plays 9 games in front of their own crowd against primarily non-Victorian travelling teams and have the benefit of playing another 7 games in Victoria.

What a dream.

That's only because you have the luxury of playing two 'home' games at the G, in what should be the perfect preparation for finals.

Geelong gets on the plane a mere 6 times this year, plays 9 games in front of their own crowd against primarily non-Victorian travelling teams and have the benefit of playing another 7 games in Victoria.

What a dream.
Excuses mate. I'd rather hop on a plane an extra couple of times and get access to two home finals.

You blokes get the biggest leg-up in the league. 14 games at Optus last year. 11 games away. Compare that to 9 games at KP and 14 games away. This year it could be 9 games at KP and 16 games away.

If Geelong got those extra 5 home games a year we'd win 6 flags in a row.

I'd love to see Geelong play 12 games in Victoria and 10 interstate. Then go nuts and have your finals games at KP. It's a much more equitable outcome.

And it would be great for the competition not having Geelong wasting space in the top 8 as they have for the past 8 years.

I'd love to see Geelong play 12 games in Victoria and 10 interstate. Then go nuts and have your finals games at KP. It's a much more equitable outcome.

And it would be great for the competition not having Geelong wasting space in the top 8 as they have for the past 8 years.
You can always hand in your license and go back to the WAFL. I don't think anyone would complain.

And in the past 8 years we've won as many premierships as you have ... without the home finals too.

You can always hand in your license and go back to the WAFL. I don't think anyone would complain.

Nah I think we'll stay. As an angel investor and financial saviour of the VFL, it would be unsporting for WC to leave now.

Much better to continue dominating your suburban competition from the safety of WA.

Nah I think we'll stay. As an angel investor and financial saviour of the VFL, it would be unsporting for WC to leave now.

Much better to continue dominating your suburban competition from the safety of WA.
Haha, you call dominating winning 1 flag in the last 12 years off the back of playing 12 home games a year inc finals in that time.

Try winning 3 in that time playing this ratio of home games per year without finals;

2007 - 8
2008 - 8
2009 - 8
2010 - 7
2011 - 7
2012 - 7
2013 - 8 inc 1 final
2014 - 7
2015 - 8
2016 - 8
2017 - 7
2018 - 9

You couldn't do it. You'd miss the 8 every year.

Haha, you call dominating winning 1 flag in the last 12 years off the back of playing 12 home games a year inc finals in that time.

Try winning 3 in that time playing this ratio of home games per year without finals;

2007 - 8
2008 - 8
2009 - 8
2010 - 7
2011 - 7
2012 - 7
2013 - 8 inc 1 final
2014 - 7
2015 - 8
2016 - 8
2017 - 7
2018 - 9

You couldn't do it. You'd miss the 8 every year.

I feel like I'm arguing with someone born into privilege who lacks the requisite introspective capability to acknowledge the role that privilege plays in their successes, like say a member of Geelong's RM Williams' set.

Ultimately you seem to be placing more importance on the ground in question, whereas I couldn't give a stuff where we play if it was in Perth.

Regardless, since the AFL era WC has been in 21 finals series (most), 7 GFs (equal most with Geelong) and won four flags (outright second behind Hawthorn with 5).

Geelong is also very good. So we can all be happy and content.

At the moment I feel it's Geelong and WC - gap - Collingwood, GWS. It's going to be an interesting end to the season and finals series. There just aren't that many good teams and a lot can happen in that time.

Back