Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Where we are now in season 2018 and after the few games that have taken place this round quite a few things are evidently clear. Richmond are head and shoulders above the rest and when it matters, WHERE it matters, and are near unstoppable. Behind them are the Sydney Swans who have arguably the most dominant player in the game and a hungry, resilient team who are often around the mark at the business end of the season. Potentially we have the Pies but there's a cloud hanging over their head as they haven't beaten some of the stronger sides in the comp as well as having lost a valuable player for the rest of the year. Which leads me to the pretenders. Melbourne after beating make weights then losing to sides not quite in the top bracket were found out as being what many people suspected. Soft. Geelong, who lost again and this time to a side that finals were never really in the equation and were in a deep slump. Key signings supposedly in the summer. The Cats look more like pussies atm. Which leads me to the biggest pretender of them all - West Coast. 27 points up with barely a quarter to go against a side in Adelaide who's form was as questionable as anyone losing 4 on the bounce and missing many key players. The Eagles were sitting top but have now come thudding back down to earth with 3 straight losses, 2 of those against sides outside the 8.

The Contenders

Richmond
Sydney
---------
Collingwood
Port

In that order.

The pretenders

West Coast
Geelong
Melbourne

In that order.

GWS are more of a threat than the Eagles, Cats and Dees and they're outside the 8. They'll come home strong though if they get past the Hawks tonight. If.

Benny78

Cancelled
BeanCoiNFT Investor
Apr 4, 2016
Australia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ken Hinkley
Geelong don't pretenders mate. We're as good a shot as anyone
Spike_Portfolio_Print16-380x287.jpg

Jun 7, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
San Antonio, West Ham, Renegades
Richmond look so far ahead of the pack right now. It’s hard to see any team beating them right now but I thought the same about Geelong in 2008 and Collingwood in 2011.

The rest of the teams are very hot and cold and I’m not sure how I should rate them. I’ve liked the way Collingwood have played this year and I think it can hold up during the finals. West Coast we’re very impressive when they had all their players available and I think they’re a decent chance if their talls come back and replicate their pre injury form.

I’m wary of Geelong and Sydney because I don’t think they’re as good as they’ve been in the previous two years and they were both found out during the finals of those years.

Richmond’s to lose at this stage

liz

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 14, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I can't see any other team apart from Richmond winning the flag.
If the finals started tomorrow I’s Agree with you. But there is still two months’ of footy to be played before the finals start and a lot can happen in that time. Neither the Tigers nor the Dogs were stand outs at this stage of their recent premiership seasons. There’s still plenty of scope for one or more teams to build their form and/ or for injuries to intervene or improve.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
If the finals started tomorrow I’s Agree with you. But there is still two months’ of footy to be played before the finals start and a lot can happen in that time. Neither the Tigers nor the Dogs were stand outs at this stage of their recent premiership seasons. There’s still plenty of scope for one or more teams to build their form and/ or for injuries to intervene or improve.
Richmond will finish top 2. Who beats them at the MCG? No one.

Back