Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well quite a few teams proved me wrong here. I thought WCE were finished when they lost 3 straight. Didn't give the Pies much of a shot either. Dees hit their straps at the right time of season ( just played a better side at home ) and Richmond faltered.

Turned out to be a brilliant year in the end.

I don't get the rhetoric about there being 2 weak teams in this weeks GF. Pies demolished Richmond who haven't lost in 17 games at the G, and WC were 2nd place and have constantly beaten good sides the entire year. Hell, they could have been up by 100 at half time last week if they didn't waste opportunities. If not these two teams, then who da * should it have been?

Was losing interest until Richmond was bundled out.

At present can’t split WC and Collingwood. WC are probably a stronger side and Collingwood has the home ground advantage.

Good season in the end.

I don't get the rhetoric about there being 2 weak teams in this weeks GF. Pies demolished Richmond who haven't lost in 17 games at the G, and WC were 2nd place and have constantly beaten good sides the entire year. Hell, they could have been up by 100 at half time last week if they didn't waste opportunities. If not these two teams, then who da **** should it have been?
:rolleyes: Happens every year. Never underestimate some peoples capacity to be petty. It's pretty clear the teams that made made the GF deserve to be there. The finals results, particularly the PF's were very definitive.

1994 allover again

Eagles beat Pies in Perth week 1 exact same score as 2018, almost identical score end of game

1994 prelim play Dees won by 65 almost exact winning margin ans total game score
80 point win coming up then!

I don't get the rhetoric about there being 2 weak teams in this weeks GF. Pies demolished Richmond who haven't lost in 17 games at the G, and WC were 2nd place and have constantly beaten good sides the entire year. Hell, they could have been up by 100 at half time last week if they didn't waste opportunities. If not these two teams, then who da **** should it have been?

I honestly don't think the G record is as impressive as some make it out to be. I'm sure many teams have had MCG records almost as good. What is our longest streak at Subi? Must be similar.

I honestly don't think the G record is as impressive as some make it out to be. I'm sure many teams have had MCG records almost as good. What is our longest streak at Subi? Must be similar.
It’s totally different really because a lot of Melbourne teams play home games at the MCG.

edited the thread title.

Ok so where we stand right now there are a few parallels to 2018 early on. Both the Eagles and Magpies are exactly where they were after 3 rounds, the Eagles sitting on a 2-1 record after beating a Victorian powerhouse in round 3. A side that went far the year before. Collingwood has lost to two sides that were strong the year before, and featured well at the end of the season. Gold Coast have a 2-1 record and are being talked up a little just like in 2018. Who have their wins come against however? In 2018 they opened their campaign beating North Melbourne and Carlton before losing to Fremantle. In 2019 they started with a defeat to the Saints before withholding both the Dockers and Bulldogs, sides that had sub par seasons the year before. Port Adelaide were 3-0 to open their 2018 season just coming off a narrow win against Brisbane. This time they didn't escape with the 4 points, losing it late at the end.

The Giants and the Hawks both 2-1, and the Blues sitting on 0-3 meanwhile Essendon started slowly against expectations going 1 from 3. Hawthorn were the surprise team that many were writing off, much like Geelong this time around. Fremantle were also 2-1 a year ago with wins coming against Essendon and Gold Coast. This time around they have defeated North and Saints, both home games, like in season 2018 ( suns '' away '' game played at Optus )

Overreaction to some teams wins already. Some teams have certainly started poorly but many sides over the years have recovered to have decent years at least more so the Pies of last year who opened 0-2, Sydney in 2017 who started 0-6 and even the champion 3 peat Hawks who dropped quite a few games early on before steering the ship and eventually winning the premiership in 2014 and 2015. West Coast in glory last year lost 3 straight mid year although they had margin for error as they started so brightly. In 1992, another flag season they were very mediocre for almost half a season with a combination of poor showings and injuries. In 1996 after a first round derby win against Freo they lost their next 4 straight, the 4th that infamous '' soccer '' goal against Carlton succumbing by a point before flogging Melbourne the next by 100 points with a 10 goal last quarter, winning another 10 games after that.

A year ago Port sat top of the table undefeated, Adelaide the runners up and premiership favourites lay in 3rd and Gold Coast sat in 6th spot. None of those teams made the finals.

I'm pretty comfortable in saying we are stuffed this year despite good teams having poor starts before. We havent had just a poor start, if you watched afl for the first time this year you'd think we came last in 2018

Things can change very quickly.

However if you guys lose to Port and Sydney (which is a real possibility with all of Rance, Riewoldt and Martin unavailable), I don't think any premiership side has had a 1-4 record at the start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm pretty comfortable in saying we are stuffed this year despite good teams having poor starts before. We havent had just a poor start, if you watched afl for the first time this year you'd think we came last in 2018
I thought we played pretty well in the first half. Some of the old heat on the opposition ballcarrier was back. It's hard to over estimate the effect of losing Grimes on top of already missing Rance meant. Cameron was always going to run riot on a couple of sloths like Astbury and Garthwaite.

Will be interesting to see how we play against Port. If we keep up the pressure but still end up losing I'll be ok. If we just go back to playing meek footy like we did against Collingwood, i'll agree with you that we probably are pretenders this year.

I thought we played pretty well in the first half. Some of the old heat on the opposition ballcarrier was back. It's hard to over estimate the effect of losing Grimes on top of already missing Rance meant. Cameron was always going to run riot on a couple of sloths like Astbury and Garthwaite.

Will be interesting to see how we play against Port. If we keep up the pressure but still end up losing I'll be ok. If we just go back to playing meek footy like we did against Collingwood, i'll agree with you that we probably are pretenders this year.
absolutely we arent showing the same hunger and work ethic, but i also think that teams have figured out that if they just play sensibly and dont panic in the midfield, they can carve us up easily because our midfield is s**t and shallow. thats why teams with good midfields (collingwood, gws) have carved us up multiple times this and last year.

I'm pretty comfortable in saying we are stuffed this year despite good teams having poor starts before. We haven't had just a poor start, if you watched afl for the first time this year you'd think we came last in 2018
Not just yet mate. I'm not willing to draw a line through the Tige's atm. Im not picking you to win the flag by any means, but I'm not writing you off for finals.

You were good vs the Blues in the first and last quarters and not bad in the 2nd. Against the Pies you were right in it until the last quarter and against the Giants weren't bad for a half. Injuries have played their part and certainly a lack of form/cohesion.

Too early in the piece my man.

Swannies too another one that started in very slow fashion in both their grand final years of 2005 and 2006.

Jealousy. The two teams that contested last years Grand Final were ******* marvellous. Particularly in the finals.

Rose their game x 5.

Things can change very quickly.

However if you guys lose to Port and Sydney (which is a real possibility with all of Rance, Riewoldt and Martin unavailable), I don't think any premiership side has had a 1-4 record at the start.
Last team to go 0-4 and win the flag was North in 1975

edited the thread title.

Ok so where we stand right now there are a few parallels to 2018 early on. Both the Eagles and Magpies are exactly where they were after 3 rounds, the Eagles sitting on a 2-1 record after beating a Victorian powerhouse in round 3. A side that went far the year before. Collingwood has lost to two sides that were strong the year before, and featured well at the end of the season. Gold Coast have a 2-1 record and are being talked up a little just like in 2018. Who have their wins come against however? In 2018 they opened their campaign beating North Melbourne and Carlton before losing to Fremantle. In 2019 they started with a defeat to the Saints before withholding both the Dockers and Bulldogs, sides that had sub par seasons the year before. Port Adelaide were 3-0 to open their 2018 season just coming off a narrow win against Brisbane. This time they didn't escape with the 4 points, losing it late at the end.

The Giants and the Hawks both 2-1, and the Blues sitting on 0-3 meanwhile Essendon started slowly against expectations going 1 from 3. Hawthorn were the surprise team that many were writing off, much like Geelong this time around. Fremantle were also 2-1 a year ago with wins coming against Essendon and Gold Coast. This time around they have defeated North and Saints, both home games, like in season 2018 ( suns '' away '' game played at Optus )

Overreaction to some teams wins already. Some teams have certainly started poorly but many sides over the years have recovered to have decent years at least more so the Pies of last year who opened 0-2, Sydney in 2017 who started 0-6 and even the champion 3 peat Hawks who dropped quite a few games early on before steering the ship and eventually winning the premiership in 2014 and 2015. West Coast in glory last year lost 3 straight mid year although they had margin for error as they started so brightly. In 1992, another flag season they were very mediocre for almost half a season with a combination of poor showings and injuries. In 1996 after a first round derby win against Freo they lost their next 4 straight, the 4th that infamous '' soccer '' goal against Carlton succumbing by a point before flogging Melbourne the next by 100 points with a 10 goal last quarter, winning another 10 games after that.

A year ago Port sat top of the table undefeated, Adelaide the runners up and premiership favourites lay in 3rd and Gold Coast sat in 6th spot. None of those teams made the finals.
We aren't playing any sort of finals footy. But the fact that people called us the worst list since University and said we wouldn't win a game, any sort of progress is good. This year isn't about W's and L's, it is about being competitive and developing the team for 2 - 3 years into the future. Happy with the way our season has progressed so far with a chance to go 3-1 over Carlton this weekend.

We aren't playing any sort of finals footy. But the fact that people called us the worst list since University and said we wouldn't win a game, any sort of progress is good. This year isn't about W's and L's, it is about being competitive and developing the team for 2 - 3 years into the future. Happy with the way our season has progressed so far with a chance to go 3-1 over Carlton this weekend.
Was at Metricon last week and you guys drum up some decent atmosphere with a small crowd. Expect you to get up and go 3-1.

Jealousy. The two teams that contested last years Grand Final were ******* marvellous. Particularly in the finals.

Rose their game x 5.
happens every year. richmond vs adelaide was worse than dogs vs sydney the previous year who were the worst ever, hawks were the worst 3peat ever, etc

Richmond's season isn't shot and finals are still likely (though I think a premiership is ways off).
Alas we will go as far as Riewoldt (once he's back) and Martin and Cotchin (when they get back and pull their finger out) take us.
Plenty of assertions thrown around on the Tigers board back in the day .....
We wouldn't have won the flag without Townsend; We wouldn't have won the flag without Prestia; We wouldn't have won the flag without Castagna,'; We wouldn't have won the flag without Graham; etc. etc.
We'll go as far as Dusty and co take is which they did back when.
A little extra pressure and attention and the likes of Castagna, Butler, Ellis have been found wanting. They walked a lot taller when Dusty, Jack, Rancey were in full flight.
Look forward to seeing Hardwick's response and hopefully not more of the same whinging about taggers, who have been making life difficult for stars since day dot!

Back