Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We’ll know by Anzac Day if we are still a chance or not. Agree if we lose the next 3 top 4 is closed and just making the 8 will be a task. Saying that we made the 8 after being 3-10 and winning our last 9 games in 2014 so you never know.

You should still be good enough to make top 8 from here, but if you can somehow manage top 4, you'd likely be coming into finals as flag favourites with the massive momentum you'd be carrying, given what you'll have achieved to make that happen.

Brisbane are pretenders based off ? Haven't lost a game yet
When the second and third tier players cement themselves by making up for a graders with the night off then will be genuine contenders. They have a talented young list and will be there about the eight come finals.

I don't think anyone can honestly rate contenders and pretenders after only three rounds of a season where there have been such substantial rule changes. Like many of the coaches have said, no one is 100% sure if the strategies they have planned out will work yet.

Interesting to keep in mind that in 2018, after Round 3:

Port were 1st
Adelaide were 3rd
West Coast were 5th
Gold Coast were 6th
Richmond were 9th
Collingwood were 14th

Two of the prelim finalists weren't even in the 8 at that point, and two teams that were top 4 didn't even make finals.
At least that was morally right.

Beating last year's premiers + Port who were previously undefeated isn't good enough?

We need to beat this year's most overrated team in Essendon as well? I guess that can be done too. :thumbsu:

Round 1 was a good win but it was round 1. Always throws up weird results and if that game happened again I think WC would win it. Swans beat them round 1 last year too and didnt put a dent on finals.

Would like to see them beat a contender in Melbourne first and see if they can hold form over a long season with their youth. Anyone can play a month of good footy.

Maybe my memory is blurred but has there ever been so many teams that we don’t have a good read on after three rounds? Reckon Geelong and West Coast have stamped themselves as contenders, maybe GWS too and probably nobody else. Collingwood, Adelaide, Hawthorn, the Bulldogs, Richmond, Brisbane and Port we don’t have a clear reading on yet, and the slow starters Melbourne and Essendon might have their mojo back too. It’s a very odd start to a season.

Maybe my memory is blurred but has there ever been so many teams that we don’t have a good read on after three rounds? Reckon Geelong and West Coast have stamped themselves as contenders, maybe GWS too and probably nobody else. Collingwood, Adelaide, Hawthorn, the Bulldogs, Richmond, Brisbane and Port we don’t have a clear reading on yet, and the slow starters Melbourne and Essendon might have their mojo back too. It’s a very odd start to a season.
People say this every year. Half way through the year things can still be unpredictable.

Also I bet there were people in the punting section after round 1 saying '' there's so many upsets. It's unpredictable ''

I quoted last year in that thread before round 1 that people say that every year, and would say it again. Sure as you know it, they did.

edited - not just round 1, but the early rounds.

This was the ladder after Round 3 last year:

https://finalsiren.com/AFLLadder.asp?AFLLadderTypeID=1&SeasonID=2018&Round=3-1

1st - missed finals
2nd - missed top 4
3rd - missed finals
4th - missed top 4 but prelim
5th - top 2 and premier
6th - missed finals
7th - finals, out first week
8th - top 4, straight sets

Don't write off teams or lock in any team at this stage of the season. Still have 19 games to go. Obviously better to have 12 points than 8 or 4 or 0 etc etc but still way too early to make these sort of calls.

Beating last year's premiers + Port who were previously undefeated isn't good enough?

We need to beat this year's most overrated team in Essendon as well? I guess that can be done too. :thumbsu:

Don't worry, Richmond won a flag in 2017 and according to BF, we never beat anyone good.

Think people have been far too quick to write off the Tigers. They'll have Dusty Cotch and Reiwoldt back in 2-3 with a bit of luck. If they can grind out one or two wins against Sydney Port or Melbourne it's still early enough to turn it around.
Nah, they're gone.

I'm actually a little concerned about Collingwood until they actually start getting some wins on the board, as I don't reckon our win over Richmond means much. They could be the second worst team in it at the moment, ahead of only Carlton...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Geelong are contenders. Right up until finals start.

I like the look of Brisbane, I think they can make the finals, but I don't think anyone genuinely believes they are a premiership threat yet.

That said, to say they haven't beaten anyone when they rolled the premiers (round 1, notwithstanding) is selling them short.

Collingwood looked ordinary tonight. Fell over the line against a side who lost to Gold Coast last week. Do they play finals? I’m not so sure...

GWS and Geelong might challenge WCE but everyone else is just making up numbers.

Just looked at Brisbane fixture. The away teams they play this year- North, Essendon, GC, Bulldogs, Fremantle, Carlton, St Kilda, GWS, Port, Hawthorn and Richmond. What a ******* dream run until about round 16
That's what happens when you finish in the bottom 4 what do you expect they're fixture to look like?

Back