Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We are currently 17th for inside 50's per game and 18th for centre clearances per game and sit 7-3.

In years past with nicnat in the side we have been number 1 in the league for centre clearances, points from centre clearances and inside 50's from centre clearances while he is rucking.

If nicnat can come back close to his best with the rest of our midfield being much stronger than it was in the past then it's hard to see us not being one of the top couple of premiership contenders.

Nah they are nowhere near GWS level. Far too inconsistent. Sure they have played some great games, but they have also played some truly horrible ones. I doubt come seasons end they will be able to string together a bunch of good games to contend.

Agreed they are dangerous and capable of beating anyone on their day. And probably the team that has surprised me most this year. But a season or two early.
GWS's level? Losing to Freo at home, getting spanked by WCE. Losing at the MCG to a side who now sits outside the 8, and since then their wins have come against the bottom 3 clubs in the comp.

By that same logic then

Past, Present and Future the West Coast are clearly the Number 1 team to beat.

Won the Premiership
Beat the Pies at the G in the rematch
Smashed the Giants
Beaten Freo
just came back from 33 points down away from home, week before came back missing players.
Haven't played their best yet and will welcome the return of arguably the best big man in the comp

I foresee GWS faring better than Freo too. Yeah they've won 2 games more as well so you can put them above for sure. But it goes both ways.

Richmond had better get their act together in the second half of the year. Injuries or not, they were pretty insipid on Friday.

Better get their act together? We're still in the top 8 with players to come back and it's round 11. Give it a rest. Plenty of time to go.

Each game needs to be taken on it's merits. Did you see that Adelaide game last night? They just let Melbourne do as they please for 85% of the game. Adelaide have serious problems. And did you see GWS 3 weeks ago against Hawthorn? They have monstered Carlton and Gold Coast.... hardly anything to brag about.

West Coast look slow and just disinterested.. I don't know what it is. GWS are the flat track bullies right now.. they beat up on rubbish sides, but falter against top sides.

No team has more players on their injury list right now than Collingwood (15), and we are still in the top 4. I believe it caught up with us yesterday... we just have too many pieces missing, and Moore/De Goey coming back from injury were definitely not 100%.

After the bye is where I would welcome anyone to judge us, because we'll have Cox, Elliot, Adams, Langdon and even Scharenberg. We'll have De Goey and Moore with a few more games under their belts and Reid is now going to be a good back up to Cox. Additionally... If you look at those players I mentioned all of them except one is a key position player. That's 6 key position forwards/defenders that will be playing in our side in 4 weeks that were either not playing or underdone yesterday. I'm really looking forward to Cox/Reid as a twin towers set up actually..

Your injury list may have said 15 but thats not the case, 3 of them played yesterday - you guys were missing 5-6 players from your best 22 - not insignificant, but dont try and make out like you blokes are ravaged by injury

WCE, Geelong and Pies for mine, I draw the line after those 3 sides.

GWS cant mix it with the big boys at the G
We look a step off the pace this season, all 4 losses have been very ugly which is concerning

WCE, Geelong and Pies for mine, I draw the line after those 3 sides.

GWS cant mix it with the big boys at the G
We look a step off the pace this season, all 4 losses have been very ugly which is concerning
Injuries have been significant though. I'll judge you guys later in the season. Knowing you guys you'll come out in full force and knock us off Friday night.

It's weird i feel like at their best the eagles have richmond and collingwood covered and the teams that could challenge us are GWS and Geelong. Yet i feel Richmond and Collingwood are probably the best shot at covering GWS and Geelong and as long as a final is played at either the G or Optus with Nicnat and Barrass back in the side i feel West Coast are at worst 50/50 against Geelong as long as the conditions are dry unless its played at GMHBA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Injuries have been significant though. I'll judge you guys later in the season. Knowing you guys you'll come out in full force and knock us off Friday night.

We're messing around with our structures and player positions a bit too much(read experimenting) for us to be genuine contenders imo. In the long run it will benefit us and its a good opportunity to do it now. A number of our role players have become significantly bigger contributors this season, but Im a big believer that to win premierships you almost need a full seasons bodywork of strong results to build the mental belief that you are genuine contenders. Losing 4 games by 40-50 has got to have an effect on our inner belief now. Dont get me wrong, Im still confident we'll win our fair share of games and play finals, but after friday nights performance, I dont think we're really in it.

We'll give you a run friday night, but reckon we'll fall short. Scotts got a hardon for us so will make sure you guys are primed :)

It's weird i feel like at their best the eagles have richmond and collingwood covered and the teams that could challenge us are GWS and Geelong. Yet i feel Richmond and Collingwood are probably the best shot at covering GWS and Geelong and as long as a final is played at either the G or Optus with Nicnat and Barrass back in the side i feel West Coast are at worst 50/50 against Geelong as long as the conditions are dry unless its played at GMHBA.

Your right - certain sides matchup well on others.

This is one of the reasons why Im really looking fwd to playing the eagles at the G later on in the season, will answer a few questions of where we're at against each other.
I feel confident our best can handle GWS and the Cats at the G. but absolutely feel the pies have our measure at the moment. Throw the doggies in there as well, they are all over us whenever we play, North too.

The best we've looked this year imo. Get NN back in a few games. Be an interesting run to the finals. Top 5 teams are a cut above the comp atm.

Richmond had better get their act together in the second half of the year. Injuries or not, they were pretty insipid on Friday.

You could go as far as to say they've copped a legitimate flogging in each of their losses to date. Or, to put it another way, over a third of the games that Richmond has played this year have ended with them being belted.

You could go as far as to say they've copped a legitimate flogging in each of their losses to date. Or, to put it another way, over a third of the games that Richmond has played this year have ended with them being belted.

TBH so have West Coast in over 1/4 of matches and every other time it's been dewy we've turned to s**t and barely won as well.

At this point I'm actually quite confident we have a fair shot of going back to back. Our form has been steadily improving, and today was a dominant commanding performance which reminds me of late 2018 at our best. Bookies have shortened our odds to $6 to win the flag, but tbh $4 would be more like it. Geelong are $3.40 and Collingwood $6. I still don't greatly rate GWS: inconsistent flat trackers who turn to water at times.

I kinda agree with macpotata, Geelong clearly the team to beat, and Eagles now second. I still rate the Pies and Tiges, but feel they might have a flat patch after the bye. Could be wrong though. Top 4 or 5 look set though, with a fair gap between 5th and 6th. Atm I genuinely can't see any side from 6 below challenging.

This is how I see it.

Geelong
Collingwood
Daylight
GWS
West Coast
Daylight
Richmond
Daylight
Everyone else
I don’t think there is daylight between any teams at the moment except the competition and Carlton. A very even season and even though the cats are 2 clear on top I don’t think they look that dominant at all. Season still a long way to play out for mine with lots of twists and turns to come.

Collingwood loss an aberration?

Probably is but I still think they are a bit suspect with their key forward stocks

Also Beams? - seems a shadow of the player he has been last few years

The Beams trade will be seen as a major waste in a couple of years.

You don't pay that much for a car with that many kms on the clock. Not in the modern game.

Back