Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Candiru

Premiership Player
Jan 27, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
I completely understand where you’re coming from. Different sides matchup better on others, it’s not linear where you can say ‘well, we own the pies who own the Tiges, therefore we will own the Tiges’. I can’t believe people still think that way.

I think it’s ridiculous to suggest that bc wce pumped Richmond in Perth last year, that they will beat them at the G as well. Didn’t anyone learn anything from Adelaide v Richmond in 2017?
The result would be determined by who plays better on the day, not the venue. As it will be in the event GWS play at the MCG in September.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
"The narrative" counts for SFA. It's sport, not story time.

How about this for a form line? They're second on the ladder with an 8-3 record and a percentage of 140. They have the best performed key forward in Cameron and two of the best midfielders in the comp in Kelly and Coniglio. I don't buy the rule that they can't win it because MCG.

Rubbish. Narrative = opinion, not story time. Dumb thing to say. It’s not drawing a long bow to state that there’s a serious question mark on GWS being able to beat a contender on the G in finals. Until I see something in performances from them to change my mind, that’s what I’ll think.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
For people saying "GWS can't mix it with the big boys at the G" and stuff, these people also tend to forget that when we won our flag in 2017, we didn't beat any of the top sides until we got into the finals, then we tore 'em all apart. Provided you can get in the final 8 from there anything can happen, especially considering the week off, look no further than the Dogs 2016 flag for that.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
I don't think you understand my point. Richmond and Geelong are better than WCE on the G. WCE are better than the Pies on the G. I'm not saying it's impossible for WCE to win on the G, just that you need results to go your way for it to work in your favour.

What point? Your argument is based on nothing. WC havent played Geelong at the G in 7 years and the Tigers in 2 years. What are your claims even based on? WC havent lost at the G since 2017 and guess who that was against? COLLINGWOOD.

The only part of your argument that is true is the Eagles are currently better than Collingwood at the G because there is evidence. But if you accept that, then the rest of your argument falls apart since Pies beat the Tigers by 10 goals there. The rest is just conjecture.

I would happily play the Cats at the G over playing them in Geelong.

Last edited:

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I completely understand where you’re coming from. Different sides matchup better on others, it’s not linear where you can say ‘well, we own the pies who own the Tiges, therefore we will own the Tiges’. I can’t believe people still think that way.

I think it’s ridiculous to suggest that bc wce pumped Richmond in Perth last year, that they will beat them at the G as well. Didn’t anyone learn anything from Adelaide v Richmond in 2017?
Didn't you learn anything from the wc vs coll gf last year? Far more relevant than some average crows team getting pumped 2 years ago by a stronger tigers outfit than the current one. West coast have developed a gamestyle that's proven to be effective on the MCG over the last 2 seasons, that's not suddenly going to change.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
Didn't you learn anything from the wc vs coll gf last year? Far more relevant than some average crows team getting pumped 2 years ago by a stronger tigers outfit than the current one. West coast have developed a gamestyle that's proven to be effective on the MCG over the last 2 seasons, that's not suddenly going to change.

I never doubted west coasts ability to win in melbourne last year or ever for that matter, quality outfit that have proven themselves over and over in their history. (Doesnt mean I dont think we can beat you at the G later this year).

GWS on the otherhand... if they turn around and thump us later on this season i will believe, until then, not.

tony__montana

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 25, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool
For people saying "GWS can't mix it with the big boys at the G" and stuff, these people also tend to forget that when we won our flag in 2017, we didn't beat any of the top sides until we got into the finals, then we tore 'em all apart. Provided you can get in the final 8 from there anything can happen, especially considering the week off, look no further than the Dogs 2016 flag for that.

Im one of those people saying it and I stand by it until they do a richmond of 2017.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The Undisputed Number 1

###Geelong###

Only one loss to date and impressive wins over last years Grand Finalists. Saw off arch-rival Hawthorn on the Easter Monday Blockbuster and has also hit the score board heavily. Facing some a sterner second half of the season and have a heavyweight showdown with Richmond tomorrow night. A side who eclipsed the Cats twice last season and also put a massive dent in their title aspirations with a Qualifying Final flogging in 2017. Fremantle and Brisbane will be tough road tests as well as another battle with the Brown and Gold.

The Challenger

###West Coast###

The West Coast have won their last 5 straight and have put together a solid start to the season with an impressive end to the half way mark. The in between wasn't all roses for the reigning Premiers but they did knock off the Giants, Collingwood and Fremantle, some of the more impressive sides in 2019. Strong resolve displayed by the champions overcoming a fierce Melbourne side and a 33 point deficit in Adelaide. Belted 3 times by Brisbane, Port and Geelong ( all currently in the 8 ) but still the number 1 challenger to the ladder leading Geelong.

Not Far Behind

###Collingwood and GWS###

Sitting just above the Eagles on percentage both wielding 8-3 records both sides are expected to be there at the business end of the season and both were thereabouts when it was all said and done last. The Magpies put an end to the Giants 2018 campaign at the MCG and would start favourites if they were to meet there again at this point in time. Collingwood went on a 7 run winning streak before that was snapped by Freo on the weekend gone by while the Giants have won their past 3 in impressive fashion. The Magpies lost to Geelong in round 1, a very close affair and were swamped by the Eagles two weeks later. A thrashing in between against the Tigers who were mauled a week later also by the Giants. Some of the pairs best scalps to date but the Tigers were hit hard by injuries. GWS do have the most impressive scalp to date being the only side to topple the Cats.

A shade below

###Richmond###

Two of the most impressive wins were by the Tigers during their injury crisis ( which they still are in ) away to an in from Port Adelaide and a dangerous Fremantle outfit in Perth. With a full list they're arguably as good as any and their injuries must be taken into account. Still a scary proposition for anyone to muster and with star quality on hand their opponents must remain weary. As the second half of the season sets in we'll get a better look at the Tige's and can truly gauge where they are as some of their main stayers will return.

The Jokers in the Pack/Could potentially explode

###Fremantle and Brisbane###

Fremantle just knocked off Collingwood at the MCG. A side who has notoriously stepped on their throat when it's came to games in Melbourne. The Magpies quality needs no explaining. They speak for themselves. Fremantle are a side that on their day could beat anybody as we also witnessed in Canberra a day before Easter. They could have also upset the Eagles if it wasn't for inaccurate kicking for goal. They might just be the side to look out for in the second half of this season and have some very winnable games that should see them play finals at the very least.

The same goes for the Lions who have come under a renaissance in recent times and have started to make the GABBA be a feared fortress yet again. Demolished the West Coast in round 1 and have been solid ever since. Currently sit 5th with a 7-4 record and like Fremantle have a favourable draw for the remainder of the season. Neale, Zorko and co have lead Brisbane admirably with a host of young talent following suit displaying flashy finesse along the way. Narrowly and somewhat unluckily lost to the purple haze by a point after the siren in a dramatic Perth showdown.

Keep an eye on the Lions as this looks a taste of things to come.

The Banana Skins

###The South Australians and the Brown and Gold###

All 3 of these sides havein patches displayed some quality football. In others, not so flash at all. The Crows have a duel with the Giants this Saturday Night which will in the short term at least tell us a lot more about what they stand for in season 2019 . Hawthorn have beaten them both already and started like a house on fire in Brisbane on Saturday Night but ran of steam or should I say, smoke. The Power face Freo in 2 weeks time after the bye and will host the Cats in Adelaide a week later. Hawthorns schedule is as brutal as anyone's and doesn't let up for the duration of the season. Essendon, Sydney away, West Coast, Collingwood, Fremantle, Geelong and Brisbane lay waiting for the Brown and Gold. North Melbourne may provide some respite after those teams but not with the way they've been playing of late. GWS and West Coast after them with the Suns in between. A tough road ahead for Clarkson and Co but they should have some good scalps during that patch at the very least.

Port, Adelaide and Hawthorn will still play a part in what happens in 2019 whether they play finals or not.

Could be a slippery slope

###North Melbourne ###

Displayed two great wins the last two weeks and could potentially be reinvigorated with the newly hired coach in Rhyce Shaw. Have prodcued some good football at Marvel pushing the likes of Brisbane and Geelong as well as scalping a few there already. Will need more evidence and consistency from North but recent signs show they look to be on the up. A narrow loss in Tasmania to Sydney before they triumphed two weeks in succession.

After the dust settled and the smoke cleared from the weekend that's my take on where teams sit. I did have Freo a tad higher but they're just a tad lower atm. I'll give some teams a slight edge only because of what they did in last years finals but it's a slippery slope where proceedings lie at the present time. The Dockers have had two of the best wins of any this year trumping powerhouse clubs on their home deck.

Going to be a cracking second half of the season. West Coast/GWS/Collingwood's ceiling could be the best of any. Probably in that order or perhaps the Pies a narrow second.

Last edited:

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Just to clarify, WC are still playing shaky ass footy and will probably lose to Sydney next week.

On form, Geelong, some space, GWS, then Collingwood.

WC only stringing together quarters. If they play 3/4 of a match like the GF, they can trouble anyone. They play a full game as with Melbourne in the finals, they are a huge threat. Still in 2nd gear though which means they could be beaten by any side.

I see you took last weekend off footy. We looked as good as 2018 and smashed a decent side by 10 goals. There was nothing shaky about it and if we play like that again this weekend, we will blow away our SCG hoodoo.

WC have now won 5 in a row and Collingwood just lost to Freo at home and they arent shakey? I cant really buy your claims.

And GWS have played 2 bottom 4 sides in the last 2 weeks, cant really judge them. But WC smashed them already this season.

On current form, I'd be confident on beating both.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2018
South Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
I never doubted west coasts ability to win in melbourne last year or ever for that matter, quality outfit that have proven themselves over and over in their history. (Doesnt mean I dont think we can beat you at the G later this year).

GWS on the otherhand... if they turn around and thump us later on this season i will believe, until then, not.
Stop lying
Everyone mocked WC at the MCG after the 2015 GF and im sure you were one of them.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
You've matched up well against the Pies at the G, but haven't seen much against other teams at the G from WC.

So you mean 2 years ago? That was the last time we lost there, and we are hardly the same team as 2 years ago as last season would attest to. I dont know why we wouldnt be able to beat Richmond there, they havent exactly been mauling teams. I personally cant wait to see WC play Tigers at the G soon, so we can literally put this entire thing to bed.

"Oh WC only won the flag because they didnt have to play Tigers at the G"

Based on what? Nothing. Thats what. We smashed them by 10 goals in Perth last year, and I fail to see how WC, a team that plays the G well now, a team that came down from 30 points in front of 99,000 people to win the biggest game in football, would suddenly suffer a 10 goal turn around and fall apart. Its illogical and only exists as sentiment.

Last edited:

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I see you took last weekend off footy. We looked as good as 2018 and smashed a decent side by 10 goals. There was nothing shaky about it and if we play like that again this weekend, we will blow away our SCG hoodoo.

WC have now won 5 in a row and Collingwood just lost to Freo at home and they arent shakey? I cant really buy your claims.

And GWS have played 2 bottom 4 sides in the last 2 weeks, cant really judge them. But WC smashed them already this season.

On current form, I'd be confident on beating both.
The Giants last 3 wins have been against the bottom 3 actually.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
So you mean 2 years ago? That was the last time we lost there, and we are hardly the same team as 2 years ago as last season would attest to. I dont know why we wouldnt be able to beat Richmond there, they havent exactly been mauling teams. I personally cant wait to see WC play Tigers at the G soon, so we can literally put this entire thing to bed.

Based on what? Nothing. Thats what. We smashed them by 10 goals in Perth last year, and I fail to see how WC, a team that plays the G well now, a team that came down from 30 points in front of 99,000 people to win the biggest game in football, would suddenly suffer a 10 goal turn around and fall apart. Its illogical and only exists as sentiment.
That's also illogical. Just because West Coast beat them in Perth last year and won the GF, doesn't mean they won't get smashed this time around against Richmond. It doesn't mean they won't win either.

Besides, it's one game, and again, it may or may not mean a thing. Brisbane lost a qualifying final to Collingwood in 2003 at the MCG yet smashed them 3 weeks later in the Granny. I know where you're coming from, but it also doesn't make much sense;)

:thumbsu:

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers

I don’t think you can look at a single game in isolation and say “you can’t beat us ever” when for the majority of the season Richmond performed better. We finished two games clear above you, that can’t just be ignored.
I know all too well from last year that individual H&A results are not necessarily great indicators of finals results. Last year alone the winners of finals had a 3-9 record against the corresponding losers in the H&A season.
Plus if you try to use this year’s result as an indicator of a hypothetical result, you’re going to dig yourself a deeper hole because neither team will be anywhere near similar to the teams that played last September.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Richmond's next two are against Geelong tonight and Adelaide in Adelaide. The Crows face GWS, Richmond as mentioned then Geelong in Geelong and Port.

Tough run of games ahead for both but surely they'll each have a big scalp ( either way next week they will:) )

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I wouldn't have thought the Crows lose their next two and same for the Tigers. If Adelaide loses to GWS, they'll beat Richmond. Richmond will either beat Geelong tonight or Adelaide next week ( or maybe both )

If they don't it will be 3 consecutive losses which could happen but not likely imo. In any case even if that occurs, Richmond will still bounce back with a strong showing thereafter.

Going to get real spicey from here on in.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Tigers have some injuries but gee they looked bad tonight. If the crows beat them next week, suddenly they may find themselves out of the 8. Better hope they get those players back and firing in the back end.

Meanwhile, history says at 11-1, Geelong play the GF. Who will it be? My money's on WC, both sides are the most accurate in front of goals in the comp. Call me biased, but I just think they will have more composure than GWS come finals and they play against the Pies well. Or I could be completely wrong and Brisbane make it. That's football.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Tigers have some injuries but gee they looked bad tonight. If the crows beat them next week, suddenly they may find themselves out of the 8. Better hope they get those players back and firing in the back end.

Meanwhile, history says at 11-1, Geelong play the GF. Who will it be? My money's on WC, both sides are the most accurate in front of goals in the comp. Call me biased, but I just think they will have more composure than GWS come finals and they play against the Pies well. Or I could be completely wrong and Brisbane make it. That's football.
Pies, Giants, Cats, Eagles any of them could get up on their day.

Tigers won't beat the Crows. Best chance is to win 5-6 more games, sneak into 7th or 8th and then depending on match ups they could go as far as a PF with a healthy side.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast

I don’t want to play the cats again. Seven grand finals, only four opponents. I wanna collect the set.

Back