Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters
Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
What dynasty?
1559958205138.png

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
That was my issue with the Giants and still is. Being talked up after beating the bottom 3 sides. Smashed by WCE, beaten by Freo and away to Hawthorn and Adelaide who haven't even been in great form.

The jury is still out. Only a flag will silence the critics.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
That was my issue with the Giants and still is. Being talked up after beating the bottom 3 sides. Smashed by WCE, beaten by Freo and away to Hawthorn and Adelaide who haven't even been in great form.

GWS is a huge possibility; the main issue for me is that the difference between when they are playing well and playing subpar is huge. Will they be able to string together a month of good footy playing the best teams potentially away? I am dubious.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The Eagles have been thumped in all 4 four losses with 3 coming on the road. Blew a golden opportunity today once again putting themselves back in the pecking order.

Pies would be loving Brizzy, Richmond, GWS and West Coast all losing.

Last edited:
The Eagles have been thumped in all 4 four losses with 3 coming on the road. Blew a golden opportunity today once again putting themselves back in the pecking order.

Pies would be loving Brizzy, Richmond, GWS and West Coast all losing.

Unless they themselves lose too

ChappyUK

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds Podcaster Pokemon is Life Pantskyle
Sep 12, 2011
London
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Arsenal, QPR.
It’ll ******* happen. I’ve got the same
sinking feeling I had before last week :(

I don't want us to be 3 games clear. Please win.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Re top 4 hopefuls and finals aspirants.

Teams form obviously will go up and down again as it always does. Last year GWS, Adelaide, Melbourne and the Bombers all went on runs. The Crows got their season back on track and were in contention for finals only to see it fall short near the end. The Giants put paid to their hopes with a win late on. Port faltered near the end but were right in the hunt and seemed destined for top 4. North squandered their chances, and the Eagles regrouped after losing 3 straight after winning 10.

Which teams are going to have a red hot patch of form or take some big scalps? Could the Bombers be one of them? Are the Crows going to have a massive second half of the season? It could even be Freo despite their mounting injury list. Whoever wins the clash between them and Port will walk 6 feet taller. At least for another week. The Hawks are another side who will knock at least a couple of the big guns over.

A very dangerous season indeed.

Last edited:
WC were horrible yesterday but most of blame lies at the feet of the coaches. Every time WC play there they use the same game plan as at other stadiums. It doesn't work

We got dumped by North in Tassie last year too. Look how that turned out in the end.

All that matter is whether the game plan can win at the MCG. Thought all Eagles fans would know this by now...

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Geelong v Collingwood GF. Smoky Richmond.

GWS or WC won't beat either at the G in finals this year.

Freo just beat Pies at the G, I fail to see why GWS or WC couldn't in a few months time. Especially when WC have beaten them there the last 3 times, including this year. Surely this whole "can't win at the G" thing is buried by now?

Luder

Team Captain
Jun 7, 2019
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Should have added that the Swannies will also take another big scalp or two and the Roos and Doggies no doubt will as well.
Dogs do this every year it seems. Drop some stupid games to teams we should have beaten convincingly, then we really push some of the stronger and more difficult sides.

In 2018 we beat Geelong, came within a goal of Sydney, 3 points from Richmond and beat Essendon by a few goals. Finished bottom 6

This year, we've beaten Sydney, Hawks, flogged Richmond, and beat Brisbane. Also got pumped by Carlton, and currently sit bottom 4

Probably finish bottom 6 again this year, but fully expect to continue the trend of losing to lower sides while pushing the top sides

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Dogs do this every year it seems. Drop some stupid games to teams we should have beaten convincingly, then we really push some of the stronger and more difficult sides.

In 2018 we beat Geelong, came within a goal of Sydney, 3 points from Richmond and beat Essendon by a few goals. Finished bottom 6

This year, we've beaten Sydney, Hawks, flogged Richmond, and beat Brisbane. Also got pumped by Carlton, and currently sit bottom 4

Probably finish bottom 6 again this year, but fully expect to continue the trend of losing to lower sides while pushing the top sides
Good post.

Additionally you blew one against North ( the week before us ) then got them back later on in the season coming from 5 goals down which pretty much knocked them out of finals ( or was the catalyst )

Freo just beat Pies at the G, I fail to see why GWS or WC couldn't in a few months time. Especially when WC have beaten them there the last 3 times, including this year. Surely this whole "can't win at the G" thing is buried by now?
Bookmark it

Bookmark it

Critics have 'bookmarked' the Eagles losing at the MCG since August 2017 - the last time we lost in Melbourne.

The ground holds no fears for the current coach and playing group.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle

I agree with this. If the Giants win the flag I will be surprised. If any of the other top 4 candidates (Pies, Cats, Eagles and even Tigers if they get some players back) were to win, I wouldn't be.

I, at least, have a perception that they are not up to it until they change my mind.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Swans beat the Eagles at the SCG again pretty much a year to the day. Saints repeated their come back against the Saints. If the dons roll West Coast in Perth on Thursday just hand the Weagles the cup. It will be a forgone conclusion.

Back