Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 19, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Excuses mate. I'd rather hop on a plane an extra couple of times and get access to two home finals.

Easy to say. Remember you only get home finals if you have a decent year wheras the extra plane rides happen every year.

If you had our travel schedule do you think Ablett and Taylor would still be playing?

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
Easy to say. Remember you only get home finals if you have a decent year wheras the extra plane rides happen every year.

If you had our travel schedule do you think Ablett and Taylor would still be playing?

Considering that only 2 WA based players have made it to 300 games in the 30+ years since a WA club joined the competition, I have my doubts.

romeohwho

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 20, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel like I'm arguing with someone born into privilege who lacks the requisite introspective capability to acknowledge the role that privilege plays in their successes, like say a member of Geelong's RM Williams' set.

Ultimately you seem to be placing more importance on the ground in question, whereas I couldn't give a stuff where we play if it was in Perth.

Regardless, since the AFL era WC has been in 21 finals series (most), 7 GFs (equal most with Geelong) and won four flags (outright second behind Hawthorn with 5).

Geelong is also very good. So we can all be happy and content.

At the moment I feel it's Geelong and WC - gap - Collingwood, GWS. It's going to be an interesting end to the season and finals series. There just aren't that many good teams and a lot can happen in that time.
They don’t wear Rm Williams in Geelong. That sounds more like the Dees!

Ishmael_

Premiership Player
Apr 30, 2013
Six Thousand
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
South Fremantle
They don’t wear Rm Williams in Geelong. That sounds more like the Dees!

I reckon Geelong has more than a few RMs kicking around. There's still a bit of that well-heeled, GGS, old Western Districts grazier money about.

But ya definitely an MFC staple. I went with a mate to the MCC this year and I felt like such a peasant in my knockoff Chelsea boots.

On that day, much like the Melbourne footballers, I brought great shame to the family.

This ******* muppet. Did a WC player assault you or something? No matter what WC do you have a way of talking it down. It reeks of insecurity and is unbecoming
They're an internet badass who lives through their online persona. 67k posts, boy oh boy. Probably sits in the Geelong cheer squad too.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
I feel like I'm arguing with someone born into privilege who lacks the requisite introspective capability to acknowledge the role that privilege plays in their successes, like say a member of Geelong's RM Williams' set.

Ultimately you seem to be placing more importance on the ground in question, whereas I couldn't give a stuff where we play if it was in Perth.

Regardless, since the AFL era WC has been in 21 finals series (most), 7 GFs (equal most with Geelong) and won four flags (outright second behind Hawthorn with 5).

Geelong is also very good. So we can all be happy and content.

At the moment I feel it's Geelong and WC - gap - Collingwood, GWS. It's going to be an interesting end to the season and finals series. There just aren't that many good teams and a lot can happen in that time.

You're arguing with someone who spends their days only spouting how amazing Geelong are, how hard done by they are and how s**t everyone else is.

I wouldnt bother.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
I think we'll lose a few away games, the last games v Richmond/Geelong will be really tough. Depends on how we switch on on the day.

At the Gabba Brisbane should be favourites - playing well there. Also depends on how switched on Geelong are. If they win the next two or three I expect them to go into full “rest for the finals” mode and similar to 09 dropping a bunch of games in the second half.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Excuses mate. I'd rather hop on a plane an extra couple of times and get access to two home finals.

You blokes get the biggest leg-up in the league. 14 games at Optus last year. 11 games away. Compare that to 9 games at KP and 14 games away. This year it could be 9 games at KP and 16 games away.

If Geelong got those extra 5 home games a year we'd win 6 flags in a row.
Most of your away games are an hour up the road and the players are back in their own cosy beds shortly after. The Eagles, and other interstate teams, fly in cramped planes for several hours, spend nights away. No credible person who has ever played the game thinks West Coast are advantaged by flying cross country almost half the season. Yours is the hottest of hot takes.

You really are the Adz of Geelong posters.
Ouch! True, but still, ouch.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
At the Gabba Brisbane should be favourites - playing well there. Also depends on how switched on Geelong are. If they win the next two or three I expect them to go into full “rest for the finals” mode and similar to 09 dropping a bunch of games in the second half.
Will be very hard to win the next 2 games and even if we did there would be no chance we would "rest" for the finals. Bank as many wins as possible to acquire a home final. Also Fagan would make sure boys wouldn't be rested.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

raskolnikov

Cancelled
10k Posts 30k Posts Wordler Werewolf Player Essendon Player Sponsor 2021 - Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti and Archie Perkins Essendon Player Sponsor 2020 Essendon Player Sponsor 2019 Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Apr 1, 2002
Cap Coast
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Gold Coast Suns

Milux

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
You'll beat my lot so that's one less stress factor.
You guys are going alot better then when we met in round 2. Its hard to get too optimistic as a lions fan though. Been down for so long its still hard to 'expect' to win. Although 3 home games against Gold Coast, North and Bulldogs we should start clear favourites in from here. That alone (if we win) takes us to 12 wins. We will need to beat the likes of Port or GWS away to garuntee us finals but more importantly actually deserve to be there.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Lions could be the one to surprise and make top 4. Last year 3 surprise packets in WCE, Pies and Hawks finished in the 4 at the conclusion of the home and away rounds. Melbourne made the prelims from outside it. Over the entirety of recent history there have been several surprise teams to bob up some what unexpected to go far or further than anticipated.

Below is a list of surprise top 4 participants or Prelim Finalists from outside the 4

2016 - GWS
2015 - WCE finished 2nd

Roos made the prelims from outside the 4 as they did in 2014

2013 - Freo despite making the semis the year before made the GF. Even on the eve of the finals Hawks-Cats was the excpected outcome
2012 - Adelaide
2011 - West Coast
2008 - Dogs and Saints ( Hawks prelims after semis year before )
2007 - Port and Roos and Cats
2006 - Freo
2004 - Saints Geelong
2003 - Sydney
2002 - Collingwood ( Port made semis year before )
2001 - Lions-Hawks ( not really surprises perhaps)
2000 - Melbourne
1999 - Carlton, Brisbane ( last the year before )
1998 - Melbourne
1997 - Bulldogs, Adelaide, Saints
1996 - Brisbane, Sydney
1995 - Richmond
1994 - Melbourne
1993 - Adelaide, Essendon, Carlton, North - none played finals the year before.
1992 - Footscray

Happened more so in the 90's. Still happens though.

edited - put some teams in there that didn't make the top 4 or prelims year before etc. Could be some missing but cbf checking.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Gonna be tough for the Pies, terribly out of form and only shown two games where they were on. Been fits and starts the whole season, that trademark pressure swarm and spread has vanished. Right now they're the ultimate pretender............................. find form and they're a contender.

Can't predict if they can flick the switch but my confidence is near zero.

The giants - why couldn't they finish that game? Arguably the most talented list along sided WC, had the bombers on toast and couldn't seal the deal - is there some intangible they lack to flag?

Geelong and WC are really the only contenders at the minute - still 8 games for every team to go and we know that it rarely goes to plan. Back to back losses will seal the deal for me, a win unless absolutely convincing won't renew hope for me.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
As I said, regardless where they finish the Hawks will knock over some big teams along the way and shape how the 8/top 4 sets.

Never underestimate Hawthorn.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the Pies will still finish in the 4.

Geelong

Then in what order I don't know but
Pies
WCE
Richmond/GWS

At this stage leaning Richmond, and also to beat Giants who they play next week.

As for the Pies they're going to win at least one of their next two away games imo. Not saying they will but they could ( emphasis on could ) beat WCE next week, and GWS. If they lose next week I believe they will rebound the following. I have faith in them and their player crop.

They're going to bounce back and have a big away scalp. Not beyond them to win both, especially if they triumph in Perth.

Back