Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Lions also capable of making the 4. Another one who COULD roll the Giants on Sunday, go on to have a dream year and finish as the surprise team in the 4.

Giants obviously favoured to bounce back at home after a disappointing road loss and you'd pick them however.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Giants Run Home

Brisbane
Richmond MCG
Collingwood
Port AO
Sydney
Hawthorn
Bulldogs
Gold Coast

That is ******* brutal as. 5 of the 8 games are at Spotless so that's the plus.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Tigers game next week against the Giants will define them imo. Win that and beat Gold Coast today, they're ready to launch. Win one of the Pies or Eagles game at the G, probably the Eagles and from there the confidence and plot thickens.

A rampant Richmond are a tough beast to tame.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Tigers game next week against the Giants will define them imo. Win that and beat Gold Coast today, they're ready to launch. Win one of the Pies or Eagles game at the G, probably the Eagles and from there the confidence and plot thickens.

A rampant Richmond are a tough beast to tame.

Agreed but I am still dubious. Last week they struggled to beat the Saints who have half their side out. Even in the first couple of rounds of the season before they got their injuries they weren’t crash hot. I truly think teams have learnt how to counter them.

Having said that, their main advantage is that all their games are at the MCG and Riewoldt being back will be huge. However if GWS want to win a flag, they need to be able to beat teams like Richmond at home. So that will be a season defining game.

The battle for top 4 will be a close one! I don’t even think Collingwood will necessarily make it; they have a very hard run home. Their losses to Hawthorn and Freo could hurt big time.

SS_Fury

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
chicago bears, bulls
lets calm the farm...we wont beat richmond away and there are 8 rounds to go. top 4 finish at best, i dont see top 2. I think its the cats flag this year, i know they were beaten tonight, but we can never get near them in melbourne (2006 comeback kings aside!) even if we did make it.....sorry for my pessimism...it helps, so if it pans out bad, i can say 'i told you so'

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
lets calm the farm...we wont beat richmond away and there are 8 rounds to go. top 4 finish at best, i dont see top 2. I think its the cats flag this year, i know they were beaten tonight, but we can never get near them in melbourne (2006 comeback kings aside!) even if we did make it.....sorry for my pessimism...it helps, so if it pans out bad, i can say 'i told you so'
If we beat the Pies next week, I reckon top two is assured. Tigers in Melbourne the only game you’d definitely chalk up as a loss beforehand (obviously things never go exactly as planned, we may beat the Tiges and lose at home to Adelaide). And give Geelong’s recent form, I wouldn’t fear them at the G.

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers

Top 4 at best? We could potentially be in 2nd by 2 games in the next few weeks. Yes, you are being extremely pessimistic. We don't have to win every game. We can drop a game to the tigers.

And we have only played Geelong at the G 4 times ever (last 8 years ago). We won 3 of those. So not exactly sure where this "never get near them" in Melbourne is coming from.

Last edited:

saints_333

Senior List
Feb 16, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

don't see top 2. Have you seen your own team's fixture. If they miss top 2 from here it means they are playing very poorly and wont be winning anyway or do you just constantly doubt your own team?

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
The really good teams are coming hard and the pretenders are being found out....Geelong and Collingwood are not good enough, they are well behind the Eagles, Port and the Tigers. The top 4 will change before the end of the year. I expect to see a Tigers v Eagles GF with smokey's Port and the Dogs going close. Geelong will lose more than they win going into finals....

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
The really good teams are coming hard and the pretenders are being found out....Geelong and Collingwood are not good enough, they are well behind the Eagles, Port and the Tigers. The top 4 will change before the end of the year. I expect to see a Tigers v Eagles GF with smokey's Port and the Dogs going close. Geelong will lose more than they win going into finals....

I dont know about that. For me, Geelong are still the best team. Geelong, WC, Tigers with Port and GWS fighting it out for 4th. Pies will finish 6th if they cant beat WC GWS and Richmond. Maybe even lower

nameless

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 17, 2006
Perf
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
A month ago half of BF had the Pies Cats GF locked in.
We beat Pies next week. We will cruise into a top 2 finish. I'm booking my Melbourne flights for the last week in September.

Criticise the BF community for assuming the top 2 was sorted.

Next post say top 2 is sorted based on next weeks game.

Am i missing the sarcasm or something?

Coaster2012

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Manchester City, Lakers
Criticise the BF community for assuming the top 2 was sorted.

Next post say top 2 is sorted based on next weeks game.

Am i missing the sarcasm or something?

Nope. You just got to know when truth is truth. Potentially being 2 games clear in 2nd in the next few weeks, this late in the season, after already being in bad form for a long time, is all the evidence you need. I'll hang my hat on this one.

Lsta062

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea, LA Lakers, Western United
Why don’t you see top 2? You’re literally in it now.

Collingwood, North Melbourne, Adelaide and Hawthorn at Optus Stadium (which you should win all of especially with Collingwood and Adelaide’s current forms).
Melbourne (Alice Springs), Carlton (Marvel Stadium) and Richmond (MCG).
I see 2 losses in these matches at most (let’s just say Richmond and an upset from Adelaide).

Your competitors for the top 2 in Collingwood and GWS have a harder stretch.

Collingwood play West Coast (OS), GWS (Giants Stadium), Richmond (MCG) Gold Coast (MCG), Melbourne (MCG), Adelaide (AO), Essendon (MCG).

GWS play Brisbane (GIANTS Stadium), Richmond (MCG), Collingwood (GIANTS Stadium), Port Adelaide (AO), Sydney (GIANTS Stadium), Hawthorn (Manuka Oval), Western Bulldogs (GIANTS Stadium), Gold Coast (MS).

Looking at that, Collingwood’s your biggest threat for the top 2 and they are not going all that well. GWS’ draw is harder than West Coast’s, so I don’t think they’ll beat West Coast to the top 2

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
I dont know about that. For me, Geelong are still the best team. Geelong, WC, Tigers with Port and GWS fighting it out for 4th. Pies will finish 6th if they cant beat WC GWS and Richmond. Maybe even lower
I go back to the Richmond game where the Cats in 2 QTRs of football kicked 1 -2...the inconsistency in their game is very evident, they are also not a cohesive team as the egos get larger and larger very qucikly down there. Last night they were 2-4 to nil up early in the first QTR, from that moment on they were totlally thrashed by a so called mid table team who proceeded to score 10-11 to 5-9 for the remainder of the game.. Geelong are over rated and will not win a final. Some glaring inadequacies down at the cattery and a lot of them come from the coaches box also! I've seen it all before as the egos land right smack in the middle of Kardinia Park. This team is no 2007 -11 side, they are a long way off that. Cats need to make 4 or 5 changes similar to Port who would destroy them in September no matter where the game was played.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
If we beat the Pies next week, I reckon top two is assured. Tigers in Melbourne the only game you’d definitely chalk up as a loss beforehand (obviously things never go exactly as planned, we may beat the Tiges and lose at home to Adelaide). And give Geelong’s recent form, I wouldn’t fear them at the G.

Some of Geelongs best wins this year have been at the MCG. Like the Eagles, they have overcome their hoodoo of that ground and seem to play it well. Regardless if they meet there should be a great game!

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Some of Geelongs best wins this year have been at the MCG. Like the Eagles, they have overcome their hoodoo of that ground and seem to play it well. Regardless if they meet there should be a great game!
Absolutely. Having no fear of them doesn’t mean I think we’re guaranteed to win, just that we play the ground well now and I think we’d be a fair chance.

SS_Fury

Club Legend
Sep 27, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
chicago bears, bulls
don't see top 2. Have you seen your own team's fixture. If they miss top 2 from here it means they are playing very poorly and wont be winning anyway or do you just constantly doubt your own team?
im a bit of a pessimist. Plus i think the pies are a much better side than what they are showing - i think adams is a huge in for them in the coming weeks.

Back