Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters
Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
If Geelong is in a minor slump, now is the ideal time to have it. Happened to the Eagles last year around about now. And Geelong still have a few games breathing space in the top 2.

Cats will come good, they will remain top 2, and they will be flag favourites heading into September.
Happened when Eagles went from 10-1 to 10-4. So 1 week before this round that just ended. They can afford to have it for another 1 or 2 weeks but any more and they're in trouble

Genesis67

Premiership Player
Jun 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Yankees, N'Orleans Saints, Arsenal
If Geelong is in a minor slump, now is the ideal time to have it. Happened to the Eagles last year around about now. And Geelong still have a few games breathing space in the top 2.

Cats will come good, they will remain top 2, and they will be flag favourites heading into September.
I think anyone writing Geelong off now is madness. Seem far more resilient than previous years.

While Saturday night was mighty impressive, and the first time this year I've really felt that we might go back to back, for the first half of 2018, Richmond had a massive B2B aura. It only took a loss or two for it to disappear completely.

Updated my ladder predictor, and came up with this.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
I think anyone writing Geelong off now is madness. Seem far more resilient than previous years.

While Saturday night was mighty impressive, and the first time this year I've really felt that we might go back to back, for the first half of 2018, Richmond had a massive B2B aura. It only took a loss or two for it to disappear completely.

Updated my ladder predictor, and came up with this.

View attachment 705616
Good post. I disagree slightly however on Richmond's first half of the year having a massive b2b aura. You guys were the best team at the half way mark (10-1) slaughtering them a couple rounds before. Tieg's were still premiership fancies I get that. I feel more so the 2nd half of the season is where the Tigers became more fancied and the Eagles slid. Tigers did have a loss around the half way mark again losing to Port in the wet minus Dusty ( sounds familiar like we did ) and then again away to the Giants. They weren't playing their best towards the end of the home and away season but were still 18-4 and two games clear of your boys.

Agree with the rest of it though.

Sep 8, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I think really WCE and Geelong are the true contenders this year, the difference being that the Eagles are playing at/near their best right now, whereas Geelong is out of form.

Just about every other team could beat any other on any given day, obviously with a couple exceptions.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
The Form - West Coast

Currently the best side in it atm. Tough away scalps over Adelaide and Hawthorn, the latter in the wet at a venue where they had failed to defeat the Hawks at for 13 years. Smashed Fremantle, Smashed the Western Bulldogs and pulverised Essendon too. Will be brought back down to Earth and below it should Collingwood win this week. Best side in it AT THE MOMENT.

#No2# - Brisbane

Big road win and another good one 2 weeks before that where they murdered St.Kilda. Character against the Dees in between although did blow a lead to the Blues in David Teague's first game in charge. Carlton have been impressive ever since clawing back deficits in every game going for 2 wins and 2 losses. Will find out more about them when they travel to Adelaide to meet Port, who might just be running into form themselves.

Dogged Doggies and Rampant Roos

These two have looked a million dollars in the last month or so. Collingwood, Geelong, Port and Richmond have all met their match between these sides. North have a date with the Dons while the Doggies look to mix it with the Dees. Dangerous dark horses and not an opponent you want to meet in a dark alley. You will be tested.

#The Dangerous# - Richmond

Beware the sleeping Tiger, for if it awaits, it will bite. Richmond are starting to awake from their slumber, and awake with close to full health. With a home stand at the MCG to come, the race home for the Tiges has become more clearer. Like Port and Brisbane, we'll get a gauge on where the Tige's are at this week when they tackle the Giants, who have their own questions to answer.

# The Dwindling - You could throw about half a dozen sides in this category. You could call it, the Dirty Dozen. Geelong, Collingwood, Fremantle, Adelaide, GWS, and one more for the hell of it. The big three are clear, and one more tipped for big things might be a big flake. Geelong and Collingwood will turn the corner imo. And in the case of the Cats, it appears to just be a minor stumble. Still the best side in the comp over the course of the season, just not on current form.

Rankings based on Season to date as well as current form

1. Geelong/West Coast
2. Brisbane
3. Collingwood, Western
4. Richmond, Port, GWS

Cats in front by a whisker. This week will give us a more clear indication with the Eagles facing off against the Pies, The Tige's hosting the Giants, the Lions away facing Port and Essendon squaring off against North.

Macpotata

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 22, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
On the last few weeks, the Dogs have been as good as anybody! But 3 weeks isn't enough.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
North have a tough run home, will need to play quite well to even make the finals.

I've thought their form has stacked up to anyone in the comp just about, and if they continue and make the finals I'd be tipping them over adelaide, gws, and maybe port adelaide if they can't find continuity.

Not too sure about the dogs yet, need to watch more of them.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
You're still going to be there. And I'll answer your next response in advance.

Regardless of the outcome on Friday Night.

We have 10 wins, where apart from GC do you see the other wins coming from?............ unless you think we can get there on 10 and even then GC have a good chance to scalp us in fact likely.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
We have 10 wins, where apart from GC do you see the other wins coming from?............ unless you think we can get there on 10 and even then GC have a good chance to scalp us in fact likely.
Trust me on this. There is almost nothing I would like to see more than seeing Collingwood miss the 8.

You'll make the 8.

You will make finals, guaranteed. In fact, you're not without a chance on Friday night either.

You don't get to 10 wins by Round 15 by being crap.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
You will make finals, guaranteed. In fact, you're not without a chance on Friday night either.

You don't get to 10 wins by Round 15 by being crap.

A/ Finals is not guaranteed B/ How much chance does a beer in a sandstorm have? C/ We've been crap for most of the year apart from a quarter here or there now we're just more crap.

Back