Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Food for thought, rather than to troll or try to be controversial (some may argue this is based on me being buoyant after a good win by GWS yesterday and is biased due to this, but contrary to this, this is also based on who has won so far in the final series).

If you look at the AFL ladder after Round 20, was this a more accurate ladder cf the one we finished with (based on ”contendership”)? If so, what happened between Round 20 and 23? If not, as you were, enjoy your Sunday... :)

FYI;

RICH
WCE
GWS
MEL

HAW
COLL
PORT
SYD
Mate works both ways you think our coaching group wouldn't do the same.Very early on in the year and both sides playing differently now.I don't see the same fluency the way eagles a playing now to back then.

Course, it's a mental battle, like chess, as much as a physical battle. Both apprentinces of Clarko. Will be interesting if we face off.

GWS I agree being undersold bigtime have the most talented list if they get a roll on watch out.Pies already talking about a preliminary to early for that.

Course, it's a mental battle, like chess, as much as a physical battle. Both apprentinces of Clarko. Will be interesting if we face off.

No doubt it will be.That night we got cut up in the middle bigtime by your slick ball movement and skills.Alot was made of the 2 big forwards ,but you gave them slick delivery the outcome everyone knows.

No doubt it will be.That night we got cut up in the middle bigtime by your slick ball movement and skills.Alot was made of the 2 big forwards ,but you gave them slick delivery the outcome everyone knows.

How did Rance do against Kennedy that day? Was he on him? I forgot if I even saw the game tbh.

I agree they a the ones that could trouble us the most,but eagles a not playing that sparkling footy when they played us early on, been a bit patchy and vulnerable even at home to my surprise I know they lost 2 important players.
Look, Richmond would be favourites even if NN, Gaff and Shep were playing. Will be favourites if we make it. But we at least have a structure and game plan that could potentially trouble them if we play the game on our terms. Another game for JK, Darling lifted in the second half against the Pies. Anything can happen on GF day.

Look, Richmond would be favourites even if NN, Gaff and Shep were playing. Will be favourites if we make it. But we at least have a structure and game plan that could potentially trouble them if we play the game on our terms. Another game for JK, Darling lifted in the second half against the Pies. Anything can happen on GF day.

No doubt about it.I'm not in that boat you can't play at the G. Simpson likes his talls 2 rucks and 2 big big forwards hasn't really changed that structure.I think the midfield is the important battle.

Struggled mate,but Darling had a top game from memory.

I think Hawkins and Kennedy is part of the reason Geelong got so close and we beat the Tigers. Rance usually dominates say, the smaller forwards of Collingwood, but struggles against some of the bigger boys.

I think Hawkins and Kennedy is part of the reason Geelong got so close and we beat the Tigers. Rance usually dominates say, the smaller forwards of Collingwood, but struggles against some of the bigger boys.

No doubt that is true against the monster ones struggles.I think if we get there (both yet not certain) we need to win the midfield battle and cut out the supply.

Rance struggled against WC in Rd 9 because we kept pumping the ball inside 50 and he couldn't zone off.

We also played with Kennedy, Darling and Waterman so they had 3 permanent tall forwards to deal with. Richmond don't want Rance, Astbury and Grimes all worrying about 1 on 1s.

We saw last night that Kennedy and Darling are hard to stop if they get quick ball, but we're not good enough in the middle to do that for four quarters.

Why do people persist in talking up Collingwood and Hawthorn vs Richmond? Tiges have shown time and time again this year they are comfortably a level above. It always goes to the same script, with the Tiges running over the top.

On Thursday Tigers didn't run over the top until Stratton went off with a hammy, Breust and Burgoyne had missed absolute sitters to put scoreboard pressure on that shouldn't have been there, and the tigers game plan works better in the wet as slippery conditions, and a greasy ball makes it easier for them to put the pressure on required to make their gameplan work its magic. Agree tigers are a level above, but IMO can be beaten under the right conditions, which for Hawthorn would be dry weather, taking our chances, our usual finals contributors actually contributing (Breust, Gunston, Burgoyne I'm looking at you), and not having an in-game injury to one of our two best defenders, and our other best defender not having his first game back in 7 weeks and being a bit out of touch. Ok, that is a bunch of excuses, and doesn't change the fact that Tigers were too good on the day, but if we could get all those factors going for us instead of against us, a win is definitely not out of the question. Academic now anyway, as I think we have better chances of beating Richmond than we do of actually getting through the semi and prelim to meet them. A rematch would have been much more likely if Geelong beat Melbourne and Pies beat WC. We really did get the worst possible results for Hawthorn in every game this weekend, not just the one we lost.

Honestly a Hawthorn Richmond GF would just be a replay of the qf, who wants to see that?

It might be. Like I said, a dry day and a few more things going our way could easily produce a different result. Another factor is the 6 players we have with under 50 games compared to Tigers 3, with 3 of our 6 having closer to 0 games than 50. Those 3 were very ordinary compared to how they'd played leading up to finals, suggesting they were a bit overawed (without trying to take too much away from Tigers pressure which didn't help their composure). Those 3 if they stay in the team will have had 3 finals behind them instead of 0 if we make the GF which could make a big difference to how settled they are next time. Quite a few other players not from the 3-peat team that while not sub 50 gamers didn't have a lot of finals experience under their belt either will have been better for having played 3 more. Tigers didn't have many players with 0 finals experience in their side, so the extra finals game into their players will likely not be as important for them as it was for us.

I'm not confident about our chances but I think we have a weapon that is better matched against the Tigers. Same with GWS. Sydney were bad but to keep them to 18 for most of the game is ominous. GWS, WC and Melbourne undeniably the biggest threats to Richmond imo.

Tigers have an impeccable MCG record as their secret weapon. I know you won twice at the G this year, but you barely got over the line against Carlton, and Pies have been weak at the G against the top 8 all year. Pies only win was against Melbourne who themselves hadn't beaten a top 8 side at the G until the final round of the season (sucks for Hawthorn they now seem to be on a roll in that respect).

I agree Melbourne are a threat to Tigers, but that only matters if they make the GF now, and winning two more finals isn't going to be that easy. They are favourites against us, but I believe our game plan works better against Melbourne than Richmond, especially on a dry day at the G. Their prize for beating us is to travel West to play a team that while they beat in their previous meeting there, managed to score 91 points against them without Darling and Kennedy playing. They'll need to kick another very large score to win with those two back in the side. WC were also games clear in second spot at that stage, although that loss did mean they needed to beat Brisbane to maintain second, I wonder how much leaving out Kennedy was a risk management exercise.

I also think Melbourne will be as vulnerable to Tiger's pressure and two way running as any other team should they somehow make it to the GF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m one who is confident the two team home teams will win this week, and the same will happen next week.

Richmond vs West Coast grand final, and the Tigers should win however I do get a 5% Philadelphia Eagles vibe with West Coast that they may have something to offer us on grand final day.

On Thursday Tigers didn't run over the top until Stratton went off with a hammy, Breust and Burgoyne had missed absolute sitters to put scoreboard pressure on that shouldn't have been there, and the tigers game plan works better in the wet as slippery conditions, and a greasy ball makes it easier for them to put the pressure on required to make their gameplan work its magic. Agree tigers are a level above, but IMO can be beaten under the right conditions, which for Hawthorn would be dry weather, taking our chances, our usual finals contributors actually contributing (Breust, Gunston, Burgoyne I'm looking at you), and not having an in-game injury to one of our two best defenders, and our other best defender not having his first game back in 7 weeks and being a bit out of touch. Ok, that is a bunch of excuses, and doesn't change the fact that Tigers were too good on the day, but if we could get all those factors going for us instead of against us, a win is definitely not out of the question. Academic now anyway, as I think we have better chances of beating Richmond than we do of actually getting through the semi and prelim to meet them. A rematch would have been much more likely if Geelong beat Melbourne and Pies beat WC. We really did get the worst possible results for Hawthorn in every game this weekend, not just the one we lost.

It might be. Like I said, a dry day and a few more things going our way could easily produce a different result. Another factor is the 6 players we have with under 50 games compared to Tigers 3, with 3 of our 6 having closer to 0 games than 50. Those 3 were very ordinary compared to how they'd played leading up to finals, suggesting they were a bit overawed (without trying to take too much away from Tigers pressure which didn't help their composure). Those 3 if they stay in the team will have had 3 finals behind them instead of 0 if we make the GF which could make a big difference to how settled they are next time. Quite a few other players not from the 3-peat team that while not sub 50 gamers didn't have a lot of finals experience under their belt either will have been better for having played 3 more. Tigers didn't have many players with 0 finals experience in their side, so the extra finals game into their players will likely not be as important for them as it was for us.

Tigers have an impeccable MCG record as their secret weapon. I know you won twice at the G this year, but you barely got over the line against Carlton, and Pies have been weak at the G against the top 8 all year. Pies only win was against Melbourne who themselves hadn't beaten a top 8 side at the G until the final round of the season (sucks for Hawthorn they now seem to be on a roll in that respect).

I agree Melbourne are a threat to Tigers, but that only matters if they make the GF now, and winning two more finals isn't going to be that easy. They are favourites against us, but I believe our game plan works better against Melbourne than Richmond, especially on a dry day at the G. Their prize for beating us is to travel West to play a team that while they beat in their previous meeting there, managed to score 91 points against them without Darling and Kennedy playing. They'll need to kick another very large score to win with those two back in the side. WC were also games clear in second spot at that stage, although that loss did mean they needed to beat Brisbane to maintain second, I wonder how much leaving out Kennedy was a risk management exercise.

I also think Melbourne will be as vulnerable to Tiger's pressure and two way running as any other team should they somehow make it to the GF.
it's very easy to sound like a pies supporter.....
dry conditions would've meant more run and more precise handball/taps/knock ons to advantage.
i for one reckon that would've lead to a 40 plus win for us

West coast are the luckiest top 4 side in recent memory. Were cooked against Geelong earlier in year but with geel down to 1 rotation in last quarter took all day but eventually overran them in last 8 mins. They were also cooked against port late in the year , when again port being down to 1 rotation in the last quarter allowed them back in with a chance and hey fluked it late. Even at home against gws only bad kicking prevented gws from having a regulation win. Eagles were a breath away from finishing 6th-7th which is about right. It’s gonna be another one sided grand final if they play the tiges. I love the optimism of eagles fans , we are all optimistic about our teams - but it’s pretty obvious they would be cannon fodder for Richmond on the big stage

West coast are the luckiest top 4 side in recent memory. Were cooked against Geelong earlier in year but with geel down to 1 rotation in last quarter took all day but eventually overran them in last 8 mins. They were also cooked against port late in the year , when again port being down to 1 rotation in the last quarter allowed them back in with a chance and hey fluked it late. Even at home against gws only bad kicking prevented gws from having a regulation win. Eagles were a breath away from finishing 6th-7th which is about right. It’s gonna be another one sided grand final if they play the tiges. I love the optimism of eagles fans , we are all optimistic about our teams - but it’s pretty obvious they would be cannon fodder for Richmond on the big stage
Lucky :drunk: Lost NN for the season, Gaff, long injuries to JK, Shuey, Darling, also McGovern for a crucial game, beat the Pies twice with a man down. But yeah, the footy gods are smiling.

A Richmond v West Coast Grand Final seems a near certainly now.

Richmond - obviously the best team all year and will either play Collingwood v GWS. I feel like Collingwood fired their best shot on the weekend (and were unlucky to come up short) it was a brutal contest and they now need to overcome GWS (which will also be tough) - both teams are going to have to pull something out of the hat to pull past Richmond (with a week off) in the prelim.

Same goes for Hawthorn/Melbourne. It was likely be a physical and tight contest. The winner then has to pull themselves up and win in Perth the next week. I don't rate West Coast nearly as a highly as Richmond, but again, the week off home game and coming up against a two all things being equal-to opponents who have played two tough finals should give them the edge.

I know people cite the Bulldogs charge from 7th in 2016 but that was such an anomaly, I don't see it being replicated ever again (or least not for decades)

I’m one who is confident the two team home teams will win this week, and the same will happen next week.

Richmond vs West Coast grand final, and the Tigers should win however I do get a 5% Philadelphia Eagles vibe with West Coast that they may have something to offer us on grand final day.

Eagles with Nic nat, Gaff and Sheppard. Possibly get within a few goals.
I'm worried about a Richmond/WC grand final being an absolute slaughter with the aforementioned 3 to be honest.

I can stomach that Melb odds are low on the back of a great ef, but why then aren’t GWS? they played a lot better. Both teams are playing strong teams at their home ground
could it be because we beat GWS by 50 points 2 weeks ago?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Lucky :drunk: Lost NN for the season, Gaff, long injuries to JK, Shuey, Darling, also McGovern for a crucial game, beat the Pies twice with a man down. But yeah, the footy gods are smiling.
Fairdinkum mate that's nothing to do with luck.

Back