Contenders and Pretenders 2019 ( edited - Page 32 current discussion ) Are Richmond now the team to beat?

Are Richmond the new Premiership Favourites?

• Yes. The Dominant team and rule at Fortress G - Too good!

Votes: 128 34.6%
  • No. Geelong will roll on once more

Votes: 17 4.6%
  • West Coast to go Back to Back

Votes: 105 28.4%
  • Collingwood will regroup and Redeem themselves

Votes: 38 10.3%
  • GWS will break through for their first flag

Votes: 6 1.6%
  • Brisbane will break the hearts of many

Votes: 59 15.9%
  • Essendon will emerge

Votes: 17 4.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

And Melbourne were at full strength?

Give yourself an uppercut
The only change to the team that played us v played the elim final was viney in for Kent. Yes that’s an improvement, but not the same as adding in two star key forwards (and not being a man down the whole game) and actually having a forward structure.

To compare them is silly.

Give yourself an uppercut

Comparing apples and oranges. The fact is, we haven't lost with Darling and Kennedy playing, that's the point. We are at least a 4 goal better team with both of them on the park. Can you imagine if Richmond didn't have Caddy and Jack playing?

I was referring to WC players out that will be back, I know you've got a few you'd prefer to have out there, but like Nicnat and Gaff, they will not be back. If you think having Darling and Kennedy both not playing (on top of Nicnat and Gaff already missing) didn't impact the margin then I'm not sure what to say. Who will you have in the side for the prelim if you make it than you didn't have for the last game aside from Viney?

Kennedy and Darling look like massive ins to me. They've lost Sheppard to counter those, but structure wise, those two forwards are massive for them, and a big part of what makes their game work. Losing Darling in the first few minutes of the game would have also stuffed up their game day structure more than going in knowing they wouldn't have him. The fact that they kicked 90+ without them, speaks to your leaky defence. Melbourne have the most points conceded of any team in the top 8 - lucky for you, you've been able to counter that with the best attack, but of the teams remaining Hawthorn has the least points conceded after Tigers, so it will be interesting to see if we can control your goal scoring. Can't see you transitioning through as easily as you did through Geelong. I still think you deserve to be favourites on Friday night, but can't see you winning both this week and next.

I was referring to WC players out that will be back, I know you've got a few you'd prefer to have out there, but like Nicnat and Gaff, they will not be back. If you think having Darling and Kennedy both not playing (on top of Nicnat and Gaff already missing) didn't impact the margin then I'm not sure what to say. Who will you have in the side for the prelim if you make it than you didn't have for the last game aside from Viney?

Kennedy and Darling look like massive ins to me. They've lost Sheppard to counter those, but structure wise, those two forwards are massive for them, and a big part of what makes their game work. Losing Darling in the first few minutes of the game would have also stuffed up their game day structure more than going in knowing they wouldn't have him. The fact that they kicked 90+ without them, speaks to your leaky defence. Melbourne have the most points conceded of any team in the top 8 - lucky for you, you've been able to counter that with the best attack, but of the teams remaining Hawthorn has the least points conceded after Tigers, so it will be interesting to see if we can control your goal scoring. Can't see you transitioning through as easily as you did through Geelong. I still think you deserve to be favourites on Friday night, but can't see you winning both this week and next.

So you don'[t rate Jack Viney?

So you don'[t rate Jack Viney?

I don't think Jack Viney = Darling + Kennedy. Do you? I also think one mid is rarely as important structurally as 1 KPF, let alone 2. I also think it is easier to plan for missing a good mid like Viney than having a good KPF go down at the start of the game. Hawthorn might be one of the few teams in the 8 where a single mid is that important, and that is not a good thing for Hawthorn (suggestive of our lack of depth in that area, which I don't think is an issue with Melbourne's midfield).

By securing home prelims WC and Richmond should be equal favourites for the flag.
Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne and GWS are all still genuine contenders because they are still in the competition.
Eagles and Tigers will be both hoping that the two semis are the fiercest and most physical contests EVER! :D Extra time would be nice.
If it pans out to a Richmond v WC Grand Final.
For all the Eagles fans out there... of course you can win this year's premiership.
The earlier game this year will give the team belief.
For all the Tiger fans out there... of course we can reverse that result.
The turn around from the Adelaide flogging last season will give the team belief.

To all the non troll Pies, Giants, Hawks and Demons supporters, enjoy the games as nothing better than a final.
Must admit I missed the feeling badly during the lean years.

I don't think Jack Viney = Darling + Kennedy. Do you? I also think one mid is rarely as important structurally as 1 KPF, let alone 2. I also think it is easier to plan for missing a good mid like Viney than having a good KPF go down at the start of the game. Hawthorn might be one of the few teams in the 8 where a single mid is that important, and that is not a good thing for Hawthorn (suggestive of our lack of depth in that area, which I don't think is an issue with Melbourne's midfield).
Melbourne are good i agree and will be tough to beat I agree. But the media are sounding out like they have already won the prelim. Which is fine for us. We played Melbourne with no key forwards, one less roation and
By securing home prelims WC and Richmond should be equal favourites for the flag.
Collingwood, Hawthorn, Melbourne and GWS are all still genuine contenders because they are still in the competition.
Eagles and Tigers will be both hoping that the two semis are the fiercest and most physical contests EVER! :D Extra time would be nice.
If it pans out to a Richmond v WC Grand Final.
For all the Eagles fans out there... of course you can win this year's premiership.
The earlier game this year will give the team belief.
For all the Tiger fans out there... of course we can reverse that result.
The turn around from the Adelaide flogging last season will give the team belief.

To all the non troll Pies, Giants, Hawks and Demons supporters, enjoy the games as nothing better than a final.
Must admit I missed the feeling badly during the lean years.
Mate no one else rates West Coast good for us happy to be underrated

Mate i agree people forget that Darling and Kennedy have missed 17 games this year, Luke Shuey 5 games plus no Gaff or Nic Nat. The way the Dees are talking is like they have already won the flag

Melbourne are good i agree and will be tough to beat I agree. But the media are sounding out like they have already won the prelim. Which is fine for us. We played Melbourne with no key forwards, one less roation and

I'm not seeing it. Regular Demons posters are pretty nervous it seems to be, and happy to playing finals with a win in the first.
They remind me if Tigers regulars this time last year.

If they should win the flag, and there's a long way to go, there'll be arrogant pop ups no doubt. Just as there will be if the Eagles or any other side win it.
They cant control the press seeking a fairytale.

Plenty of people rate West Coast, especially the tall forwards.
Melbourne are simply flavour of the month... in decent form, though.
Me, I'm just hoping that if we win our prelim that it's a 35 degree day in Perth for your prelim!! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plenty of people rate West Coast, especially the tall forwards.
Melbourne are simply flavour of the month... in decent form, though.
Me, I'm just hoping that if we win our prelim that it's a 35 degree day in Perth for your prelim!! :D
Haha nice one man, me too, but we can handle the heat over year in Sunny WA. You should hear what that dickhead Tony Jones and Jay Clark said that West Coast would be a wasted spot in the grand final because the game would be over at half time. All good man you cant control what the idiots say

If you win the flag you’d have beaten 4 top 8 teams by the end of the season. Given you’ve won once in 9 attempts so far, will be impressive if can win 3 in 3

There seems to be a shared simplistic view that the ladder position of the team you defeat is the be all and end all and form has zero relevance. I just don't buy that, we've had good wins against form teams who weren't in the 8 at the time. They should be recognized as good wins and the team shouldn't be just viewed as the "team that has only 1 top 8 scalp.

Still I don't mind being underrated and I'm sure the club couldn't give a flying.

There seems to be a shared simplistic view that the ladder position of the team you defeat is the be all and end all and form has zero relevance. I just don't buy that, we've had good wins against form teams who weren't in the 8 at the time. They should be recognized as good wins and the team shouldn't be just viewed as the "team that has only 1 top 8 scalp.

Still I don't mind being underrated and I'm sure the club couldn't give a flying.
I think most here rate the pies. They just like to troll.

I think most here rate the pies. They just like to troll.

Maybe most do, but those that trot out that line refuse to accept that maybe that team should be rated.

My view is that some troll and others are actually offended that the club has had a good season and use that line to back their argument.

Good I hope they keep doing it!

Any side can have a bad/unlucky day. I’ve seen a local grand final where the massive favourite got 3 hamstrings in the 1st quarter and that was the end of it!
They called the game off at quarter time!!! :eek:

1994 allover again

Eagles beat Pies in Perth week 1 exact same score as 2018, almost identical score end of game

1994 prelim play Dees won by 65 almost exact winning margin ans total game score

Back