Contenders for a break out year in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

I see Rich really stepping up in a leadership role down back this year, would that be considered a break out? The knowledge he would have picked up from Hodge over the last 2yrs will show this year. Same could be said for Harris Andrews as well. Having those two blokes leading the back 6 around the park gives me great confidence.

I want to see Skinner in the fwds somewhere. Id like to see a bit more aggression and hardness in the team. He has that in spades. Gardiner down back, Mitch thru the middle and Sam up front will certainly have the opposition looking over their shoulders.

The most encouraging thing about this year is that there are so many players capable of a break out year. Starcevich, Skinner, Cox, Ely Smith, Corey Lyons, Payne, etc etc. A wonderful position to be in.

It's going to be interesting to see how the mids in the reserves develop.

If 2 of Matho, Starcevich, Lyons, ESmith, Joyce, Berry and Robertson an develop into A grade mids then we'd be set for many years to come

It's going to be interesting to see how the mids in the reserves develop.

If 2 of Matho, Starcevich, Lyons, ESmith, Joyce, Berry and Robertson an develop into A grade mids then we'd be set for many years to come

Not going to happen with Mathieson. He lacks A grade qualities, limited endurance, poor kick and rushes disposal. Personally will be surprised to see him on the list past 2021. And don’t think he’ll get picked up elsewhere either. The other guys though sky’s the limit.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Not going to happen with Mathieson. He lacks A grade qualities, limited endurance, poor kick and rushes disposal. Personally will be surprised to see him on the list past 2021. And don’t think he’ll get picked up elsewhere either. The other guys though sky’s the limit.

Dont agree. Very harsh assessment of Rhys in my opinion and rugged way of expressing it. He's just turned 23 years old mate. Hope he comes out this year & makes you eat your words.

Dont agree. Very harsh assessment of Rhys in my opinion and rugged way of expressing it. He's just turned 23 years old mate. Hope he comes out this year & makes you eat your words.

Would love that to happen. I feel the sample size is enough though to make an assessment.

What's your assessment of Matho?

Personally I think he'll spend his career in the 23-30th spot on the list. Not best 22, but strong midfield depth.

Personally I think he'll spend his career in the 23-30th spot on the list. Not best 22, but strong midfield depth.
Unknown at this stage as he has only just ticked over 23 years of age. Based off last years performance, I agree he is in the 23-30th spot on the list...maybe even 26-35 spots however he still has plenty of natural improvement to come and its up to Rhys to work on his deficiencies over the summer (which I am 100% sure he has done that) & come back a better footballer. Saying what Scubaveg has is out of line & dis-respectful in my opinion.

Agree he was called out in a recent training video and is clearly no slouch. He is valuable depth

Unknown at this stage as he has only just ticked over 23 years of age. Based off last years performance, I agree he is in the 23-30th spot on the list...maybe even 26-35 spots however he still has plenty of natural improvement to come and its up to Rhys to work on his deficiencies over the summer (which I am 100% sure he has done that) & come back a better footballer. Saying what Scubaveg has is out of line & dis-respectful in my opinion.

Wanted to highlight this - if there is one thing people can't criticize about the bloke is he works incredibly hard to improve and when you watch him on the field he's incredibly focused on blocking/helping his team mates. Very good qualities to have in a player. You needn't look any further than Mitch Robbo as another guy with a reputation for putting boot to ball in hope and as we saw in 2019, his kicking improved dramatically when given more space. The fact is, winning the pill on the inside means your disposal is always going to be under immense pressure. Of course the trick is then getting the ball to the outside so they can deliver the ball into the 50, but when you're playing the territory game very few players manage to dispose of it well.

I think Scubaveg s comments were harsh and in my opinion, incorrect, but he didn't get personal as some posters do and would much rather someone like him share their opinion without getting personal. It's a forum and he's entitled to that.

There’s certainly going to pressure on our younger midfielders to continue to improve beyond just this season.

But it’s going to be hard for many of the youngsters to crack a spot in the regular rotation just yet.

JLyons is 28, Neale and CEY are 27. Mitch and Zorko are 31, so you would think they’ll be to two to drop off first.

Next is Mathieson who is 23, McCluggage, JBerry, and CLyons, who are all 22. And then we keep getting younger.

I believe we really need Bailey and TBerry to work on their outside game, as they’re the two on our list who could most likely step up and play a wing position if Mitch goes down and Hugh moves to an inside role.

I think putting him in a range 23-30 isnt the best way to look at his situation. For me i think we should be rather looking at where he sits in the pecking order of the midfield. How CEY fits in to last years best 22 im not sure yet, but lets assume he is. Matho is the next cab off the rank for mine, i do think he has had more average games and above, than poor games. He has his problems i agree but i do believe he is able to come in and perform a required role. After him we have a group of untried mids, C Lyons, Ely Smith, T Joyce, T Berry, Dev Robertson possibly in that order. All may end up better long term prospects and any of them could have a breakout year this year and overtake him. Until that happens Matho is solid depth, his attitude is great, gives 100% and at 23 still has time to round out his game. Atleast another 2 seasons.

I think we should probably look at all outside the best 22 in a positional pecking order rather than a ranking from 23 to 45. After all it is a position they are competing for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think putting him in a range 23-30 isnt the best way to look at his situation. For me i think we should be rather looking at where he sits in the pecking order of the midfield. How CEY fits in to last years best 22 im not sure yet, but lets assume he is. Matho is the next cab off the rank for mine, i do think he has had more average games and above, than poor games. He has his problems i agree but i do believe he is able to come in and perform a required role. After him we have a group of untried mids, C Lyons, Ely Smith, T Joyce, T Berry, Dev Robertson possibly in that order. All may end up better long term prospects and any of them could have a breakout year this year and overtake him. Until that happens Matho is solid depth, his attitude is great, gives 100% and at 23 still has time to round out his game. Atleast another 2 seasons.

I think we should probably look at all outside the best 22 in a positional pecking order rather than a ranking from 23 to 45. After all it is a position they are competing for.
I’d have Ely at the head of the list, followed by Robertson, CLyons, TBerry and Joyce.

I’d have Ely at the head of the list, followed by Robertson, CLyons, TBerry and Joyce.
Id agree that Matho is probably the first choice but I think your right on your order after that. Ely must be close. Joyce probably needs a fair bit more time after all the injuries he's had

Last edited:
Id agree that Mario is probably the first choice but I think your right on your order after that. Ely must be close. Joyce probably needs a fair bit more time after all the injuries he's had
Yeah, Matho gets first crack if there is an injury to one of our contested mids.

What I’m curious about is, who steps up if there’s an injury to McCluggage?

Yeah, Matho gets first crack if there is an injury to one of our contested mids.

We can't replace clugga, hes too unique, but I think the answer to the question is the key to our next premiership.

As a team we have to take the moment you get, to make the right decision with how to attack. Get the balance right between creative dare and holding up play to out work and out manoeuvre. And I think it's Starcevich who comes in for Hugh as well. He's good enough below his knees and in the air to compare, covers the ground and applies defensive pressure, and is smart and looks to create with his possession

I think Answerth could cover Clugg on the wing. He may not have the silky skills that Clugg has (who does?) but he has a bit more pace, is a bit better defensively and is certainly not afraid to crack in. I prefer him in defense but if we had to rob Peter to pay Paul, Answerth would be my choice. Maybe Cox could slot in there as well, didnt he come in for Robbo in the finals last year, he certainly has skill and pace, but may get a bit lost when needed inside. I'd probably think Starcevich could do it too. Ah Chee maybe, we have quite a few versatile players. Sure none have the class Clugg does or could match his level but i do think we could cover short term. A long term, season ending injury would be tough but it could also be the making of someone. The opportunity for a breakout season.

I think Answerth could cover Clugg on the wing. He may not have the silky skills that Clugg has (who does?) but he has a bit more pace, is a bit better defensively and is certainly not afraid to crack in. I prefer him in defense but if we had to rob Peter to pay Paul, Answerth would be my choice. Maybe Cox could slot in there as well, didnt he come in for Robbo in the finals last year, he certainly has skill and pace, but may get a bit lost when needed inside. I'd probably think Starcevich could do it too. Ah Chee maybe, we have quite a few versatile players. Sure none have the class Clugg does or could match his level but i do think we could cover short term. A long term, season ending injury would be tough but it could also be the making of someone. The opportunity for a breakout season.
Bailey, Starcevich and perhaps Cox are in the almost there category where they have lots of potential are still very young ,have been blooded in a few games and hopes are high. It'll be interesting to see where they sit in comparison to say Ely Smith, Tommy Berry ,Coleman and whoever else bobs up by the end of the year.

We presently have many promising young players which is something we haven't been able to say for a long time.

Yeah McClugg would be tough to replace. His skill set is pretty special. I dont think we have a direct replacement but would have to shuffle the magnets a fair bit. Shuffle Zorko wider or one of the Berry's, Bailey given more opportunity, one of the half backs further up the ground?

I agree with all of that although McCluggage was onball quite a lot last year. Another option if a spot came up would be to slot Robertson straight in. He is a bit more of an inside out player imo but he has really nice athleticism. His skills are obviously nowhere near Hugh but his inside game would allow us to continue to build on a strength.

I agree with all of that although McCluggage was onball quite a lot last year. Another option if a spot came up would be to slot Robertson straight in. He is a bit more of an inside out player imo but he has really nice athleticism. His skills are obviously nowhere near Hugh but his inside game would allow us to continue to build on a strength.

You'd go Robertson over Smith based off pre season form?

I know he said something about taking on a diet and exercise plan in some recent media but looking at the photo of him with Tim Payne... f**'s looking in career best nick. I'm not kidding when I say, I think it will have a very positive effect on the team!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back