Contenders for a break out year in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Cutler and Ben Keays.
Of those still on the list, you would have to think Jarrod Berry is ready to take the next step. He has ELITE FOOTBALLER written all over him and I think he would have learned a lot from last year. Cam Rayner should step up and I am expecting Oscar to continue to improve.

Would he have enough muscle mass? Always had this impression that he was a string bean but maybe he has muscled up.
If he can hold his marks and kick straight he is “in.”

I went back through this thread to look at all the players mentioned for a breakout year in 2020.
Lets hope that collectively we are all correct in this assumption.
I came up with 19 players. I put them into a team listed below.
So three spots left.
Of players that have played at AFL level i can think of only one that could have a breakout year that was not mentioned. At a stretch maybe two.

The team's criteria :
(a):poster must have mentioned the player/player's as a breakout year contender. Not just general comments of players and where they may play etc.
(b):I restricted selections to players having a maximum of 5 years in the AFL system by 2020 : So at present 4 years or less in the AFL system.
So some players mentioned that i omitted are : Linc (8 years in AFL), CEY (6 yrs) & Bundy (9 yrs).

FB: Allison-Payne-AhChee

HB: Starcevich-Adams-Witherden

..C: Bailey-E.Smith-C.Lyons

HF: Rayner-Hipwood-Cox

FF: Joyce-Fullarton-T.Berry

..R: Oscar-J.Berry-McCluggage

IC: Skinner-???-???-???

great stuff, if we are including mccluggage can we add answerth too. and lets chuck in hinge for good measure. lastly as a left field option for the last spot can we count Fagan on the bench to win his first flag as a coach since he sits there?

great stuff, if we are including mccluggage can we add answerth too. and lets chuck in hinge for good measure. lastly as a left field option for the last spot can we count Fagan on the bench to win his first flag as a coach since he sits there?
Fagan does fit in with my criteria of 4 years and under AFL experience, but unfortunately his playing days are over. Plus he is injury prone especially around water.
And the two players you mentioned are the two i was thinking of that nobody mentioned.
McCluggage was mentioned by posters and has been in system for 3 years.

Last edited:
Answerth not having the second year blues would be a breakout when comparing him with say Jacob weitering. Hinge didn't get many opportunities but was competitive in the air and with his tackling pressure on the wing when he came in as best as I can recall, so he may breakout, he did secure an extension over some not insignificant delistings so maybe his data and attitude show a lot of growth.

If fagans out it's really tough on the sensei, and a bit harsh, but that's life, you overcommit to the wrong slippery dip sometimes. Perhaps eagles is required and breaks out with a few consistent games together negating and being an even bigger pest downback than levi greenwood to round out the list?

Tom Cutler will be recruit of the year in 2020.

Will absolutely dominate for Essendon and have no doubt the footy world will be scratching their heads at how or why we practically gave him away for nothing.

I reckon Tommy will go the way of most of the other players we have moved on, which will mean he will be in and out of seniors at the Bombers. History says we know when to cash out.

Rayner. The almost grabs he will pluck more consistently this year.
He gets in the right spots. Fitter this year so will be able to get in the right spots more often.
35 goals next year for Cam.

Cam for me - sounds like he has matured a lot and has trimmed down to the right weight to play good footy. Sounds like Witho and he trying to do the right things. Would love to see him tear it apart.
Yeah it is easy to get caught up in pre season hype but Rayner definitely looks a hell of a lot fitter and the training reports seem to back that up. You'd expect him to take a bit of a leap with his level of talent anyway similar to how much Club progressed in his 3rd season. I'd love to see Cam break out in a major way. Such an exciting player to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Zac Bailey has bulked up. Hopefully his fitness has improved so he can average closer to 20 touches a game.

It's easy to forget what he's shown and the talent be has with the luxury of having so many guns. Really excited to see how good he is in his peak. I suspect he'll get plenty of time on the wing this year so will get his chance to test himself.

The one thing I don't like is that everyone's so bullish on our prospects but when I look through the available talent I have to agree. There are 7 or 8 guys who are going to miss out who would've walked into our team 2 years ago.

The big improvement may come from accepted guns who move to the next level ,Neale , McCluggage ,Berry , Cameron , Andrews , Gardiner etc ,purely because the back up they're getting is of higher quality and the load is spread ,keeping them fresher for the contest.

Reckon the 2 new boys with Ah Chee and CEY could go big. Just think they fit some needs. Berry is one who i think can go another level. Hugh did it last year, Berry had a few interuptions which hurt his season i think.

Ely could keep CEY off the best 22. Similarly Tom Berry and Cedric Cox could be pushing someone out if they keep developing - I believe they are the ones with pace. I like what Skinner is doing presently, making a case for his spot against McStay and OMac. Jack Payne is there, Starcevich too.

It will get tricky for match committee if our seconds keep pushing the quality, exciting times for us.

Last edited:
Ely could keep CEY off the best 22. Similarly Tom Berry and Cedric Cox could be pushing someone out if they keep developing - I believe they are the ones with pace. I like what Skinner is doing presently, making a case for his spot against McStay and OMac. Jack Payne is there, Starcevich too.

It will get tricky for match committee if our seconds keep pushing the quality, exciting times for us.
Its already gotten tricky for the match committee and with the healthy/quality depth we should have this season, its exciting times for 2020 & beyond. In my mind there is only 6 players (if fit) who are locks in our best 22. The remaining 16 spots are up for grabs to others who put their hand up at any given time.

Its already gotten tricky for the match committee and with the healthy/quality depth we should have this season, its exciting times for 2020 & beyond. In my mind there is only 6 players (if fit) who are locks in our best 22. The remaining 16 spots are up for grabs to others who put their hand up at any given time.

Zorks, lach, Charlie, Harris, stef, clugga? Or did richy push one of them out for you?

My 100% locks if fit are: Neale, Zorko, Cameron, McCluggage, Andrews & Gardner.
I'd say Stef would be a lock if fit as well. Hipwood wouldnt be far off a lock for me too. There might be one or 2 others but maybe they aren't 100% locks no matter what

I'd say Stef would be a lock if fit as well. Hipwood wouldnt be far off a lock for me too. There might be one or 2 others but maybe they aren't 100% locks no matter what

I'd agree with all the players mentioned by yourself and mighty lions, but I reckon rich also would be considered a lock for at least this season. I just can't see anyone threatening his role as designated kicker at this stage

I'd agree with all the players mentioned by yourself and mighty lions, but I reckon rich also would be considered a lock for at least this season. I just can't see anyone threatening his role as designated kicker at this stage
Only reason I didnt include Rich is because of his slightly interrupted pre-season where as the others have been mostly high achievers in the lead up.

Rich is the name that I would add to the list, for sure. Career year last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back