Contenders for a break out year in 2020?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hard to pick one standout from our list.
If i had to pick only one it would be Hugh McCluggage (63 games). I hope they continue to play him mostly on the wing with some stints in the midfield.
He had a fantastic 2018 in only his 3rd year. He could become one of the elite players in the comp next year. But i do see full midfield time come 2021.
Lots of players have been mentioned so far and i agree with quite a few. However i don't see anyone from our 2018 list that could not break into the best 22 having a breakout year.
What i like about our list is this group of 9 players with 40-60 game's experience.
Adams (37), Ah Chee (45), J Berry (57), Ellis-Yolmen (39), Mathieson (46), McCarthy (53),McInerney (37), Rayner (46), Witherden (53).

Probably a better kick for goal than Hippy and McStay
Whether he is a better kick at goal or not is debatable but firstly he needs to get the ball which based off his last 3 games this season, I am still not convinced he can consistently do. Given he will have a full pre-season, the time to shine for Adams is season 2020. I hope he does.

Cam Rayner has had 46 uninterrupted games, a taste of finals experience, and now he gets his second full pre-season.

This should be his breakout year.

Quite a few going with Adams. He is already 26. We already know what he is going to give us. He is a solid, no-nonsense player.

Payne is the guy who I think has the potential to become a premier defender in a couple of years. He is athletic and powerful with fairly nice skills. I am expecting him to cement himself this year and start to get some big reviews in the back half of the year.

J Berry had one step back this year but I am expecting two steps forward next year. We always play better when he is in the middle and I expect his qualities to be more evident next year.

Smith was disappointing for most of last year but I thought started to show something in the last few games. If he can build on that he could be a nice surprise for many.

Cox could be anything. He has all the skills and tricks but just needs to prove he deserves his chance.

Allison is one I really hope comes good. He was one of the defensive leaders in the ressies and improved steadily over the course of last year. When he was dropped back to the rookie list he could have dropped his head but he continued to work and I thought deserved some games. It didn't happen but credit to him and if a chance comes his way this year it would be good to see him take it. He is a very nice size for a running defender, has a long kick and good pace. Defensively his positioning is top class. He improved the touch on his short to intermediate kicks which is something which had been holding him back. Witha good preseason he is one who could easily surprise many.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I remember picking Allison two years ago and that didn’t go well. I think that Payne could transform our backline as I’m still not convinced that Adams and Gardner as a combo work.

Ah Chee for mine will be the headliner with Cam to improve but more of a slow burn. I would love Cox to break out though as I was really liking his last game.

Jarrod Berry to follow good mate "the Suitcase" and kick it up a gear in 2020.

CEY and Ah Chee will be great and a fit Marcus Adams will be a defensive No BS tough nut bull.
I dont know if or when I will stop feeling nauseous every time I read all the unconditional love given to Jarrod Berry however, feedback I have heard is that Berry has already reached another elite level in fitness this pre season which goes well in your prediction above.

I dont know if or when I will stop feeling nauseous every time I read all the unconditional love given to Jarrod Berry however, feedback I have heard is that Berry has already reached another elite level in fitness this pre season which goes well in your prediction above.

LOVE HIM LIKE THE REST OF US OR WE SHALL SHOUT YOU DOWN!

Quite a few going with Adams. He is already 26. We already know what he is going to give us. He is a solid, no-nonsense player.

Payne is the guy who I think has the potential to become a premier defender in a couple of years. He is athletic and powerful with fairly nice skills. I am expecting him to cement himself this year and start to get some big reviews in the back half of the year.

J Berry had one step back this year but I am expecting two steps forward next year. We always play better when he is in the middle and I expect his qualities to be more evident next year.

Smith was disappointing for most of last year but I thought started to show something in the last few games. If he can build on that he could be a nice surprise for many.

Cox could be anything. He has all the skills and tricks but just needs to prove he deserves his chance.

Allison is one I really hope comes good. He was one of the defensive leaders in the ressies and improved steadily over the course of last year. When he was dropped back to the rookie list he could have dropped his head but he continued to work and I thought deserved some games. It didn't happen but credit to him and if a chance comes his way this year it would be good to see him take it. He is a very nice size for a running defender, has a long kick and good pace. Defensively his positioning is top class. He improved the touch on his short to intermediate kicks which is something which had been holding him back. Witha good preseason he is one who could easily surprise many.

Great to see you back Quigley. Always enjoy insights.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

How great is it to be going into a season not having HOPE that we would just be competitive, that we might just move up the ladder and win a few games. We go into this season with a solid finals team even though we got knocked out 2 zip. We have traded in a couple of players who, if as we did last year, get them up and running fill some small weaknesses we had. It's brilliant not sweating on the draft that we might get a top pick to make an immediate impact and turn the season. It's most fantastic not talking about recovery from injuries and off season surgeries. Touch wood, round one every player is still available for selection. We have no real obvious 'outs' in the top team and probably 5 or 6 banging on the door, or banging there door down. For me Payne is the big man to come in, which means I have to choose one to go out, so I'll go Adams moves forward Payne comes in and McStay is most under pressure. I think Tom Berry will get games on a wing and Cox in the forward line. Bundy and Cox will be interchangeable. Ahh Chee will put pressure on a back flank so I'd probably see Witherden starting to move midfield as he has wanted. Really striving to find holes but at this stage I think Rayner finds himself under pressure with CEY comic in to protect Neale and Zorko. It's just brilliant there is so much pressure for spots, last pre season we would have talked about the vast difference between our good players and our worst but that gap has closed. Skinner is my love child, always has been, would like to see him get another shot. Ely Smith needs to get some games this year or we will be talking by mid season he is gone after being left out of the NEAFL grand final team after a few weeks earlier bing captain of the team for a week.

Ely Smith needs to get some games this year or we will be talking by mid season he is gone after being left out of the NEAFL grand final team after a few weeks earlier being captain of the team for a week.

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm as close to certain as I can be that our NEAFL GF team had restrictions placed on it with the number of listed players we could play in the game.

I'm assuming that Ely along with some others, may have been a victim of those restrictions.

FWIW Ely recently extended his contract with the club for another two years, to the end of the 2022 season.

Only 16 listed allowed, and there was somewhere else Fagan said they gave some of the guys who were to depart an opportunity to play to help their chances of getting picked up somewhere else

Someone please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I'm as close to certain as I can be that our NEAFL GF team had restrictions placed on it with the number of listed players we could play in the game.

I'm assuming that Ely along with some others, may have been a victim of those restrictions.

FWIW Ely recently extended his contract with the club for another two years, to the end of the 2022 season.
yes there were restrictions, some had to be left out, he was one of the fit ones left to. And yes I posted this before he extended his contract. Cheers.

Mighty Lions is President of J Berry fan club!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back