Contested Possesions

Remove this Banner Ad

Madison

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Is anyone else concerned by our lack of contested possies?

I haven't checked the stats for each week, but every time I do, we lose this very important stat. For a team that has some very good inside players, who can win a lot of stoppages, we lose this stat every week.

We make up for it with our outside game, but I fear we may have lost our ability at winning the contested count.

Under Wallace, we won this every week.

Contested footy is a big indicator of just how much the team wants and is attacking the footy.

Is it an issue or is it just young bodies? We were young under Wallace, though not as young as we are now.

Is anyone else concerned by our lack of contested possies?

I haven't checked the stats for each week, but every time I do, we lose this very important stat. For a team that has some very good inside players, who can win a lot of stoppages, we lose this stat every week.

We make up for it with our outside game, but I fear we may have lost our ability at winning the contested count.

Under Wallace, we won this every week.

Contested footy is a big indicator of just how much the team wants and is attacking the footy.

Is it an issue or is it just young bodies? We were young under Wallace, though not as young as we are now.

You know the way we were playing last night...

I thought we were the ones winning more of the contested footy...:confused:...

It comes as a complete suprise to me that the bombers had beat us by a fair margin in the contested ball...

176 to a 142 in the bombers favour according to the sun...

How is that possible...?!?!?...

Were is rayzorwire to explain in detail the intricacies and stats of what constitutes a winning contested footy margin...:p:confused:...

I thought we were better in close then them...

Remember we are alot smaler than most sides in the comp. We will slowly improve in this area as we get bigger.

Definitely is a key stat but as with clearances and most other stats, can be misleading. Last night I thought we at least broke even in the contested part of the game and the stats don't really back that up, but the scoreboard does.

As the OP says under Wallace we always won contested possessions but always lost games, so it definitely isn't as crucial as it is made out to be.

The so called experts keep saying we are at our best when we have more uncontested ball than the opp, as that’s a key indicator we constantly find space, gut run and play on (number 1 play on team) We are getting smashed at the stoppages, so increasing the contested ball there is a must, but ill go with the experts and enjoy the uncontested ball as it makes us very exciting to watch, and it helps keep us winning games.

yeah most of their goals came from not having clear disposal until about 40 meters out. Many of our goals came from running through the middle on the rebound uncontested.

Actually i was quite please with the contested football last night, and at the saints game at the start of the year. its a big improvement, and just because we arent getting the disposals, the pressure we put on them to make mistakes was evident causing the turnovers that helped us win. stats can be misleading.....

Heppell - Conca
29 Disposals 23
15 Contested 7
58.62 Disp Eff% 86.96
8 Marks 8
2 Tackles 3
4 Clearances 4
2 I50 4
2 R50 5
3 Clangers 2
0 Goal assist 1
0 Goals Contributed 1

Who had the better game?

Quick comparison with the Pies. Per game they average 27 more contested footy and 2 fewer uncontested footy than us. Simplistic way of looking at it, but that’s the equivalent of one extra inside mid.

Comparing our top 5 with Collingwoods top 5 just for fun.

Uncontested top 5 Average. Collingwood 16.48 Richmond 16.62

Swan 19 -- Grigg 18.5
Pendalbury 17 -- Martin 17.6
Thomas 16.6 -- Houli 16
Shaw 15.3 -- Deledio 15.6
Johnson 14.5 -- Rance 15.4

Contested top 5 average. Collingwood 13.34 Richmond 11.4

Pendalbury 15.9 -- Cotchin 13.5
Ball 14 -- Jackson 12.4
Swan 13.4 -- Foley 11.8
Goldsack 13 -- Martin 9.8
Dawes 10.4 -- Nahas 9.5

Reasonably close the top 5 of both teams, but the big difference is 4 out of our 5 top 5 uncontested are from the back half where as the Pies have their top 3 in the guts, and only Martin is in both groups compared to Pendalbury and Swan.

this is just another level of improvement for our boys. outside game ball use getting alot better, when the clearances, cp's come up we are set!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back