Analysis Contested Possessions

Remove this Banner Ad

Contested possessions are too broad to draw any meaningful inference from. I didn’t realise it included all the activities that have been mentioned above. There was a time when a previous coach of ours who I’ll call Terry would say win the contested footy and you usually win the game. There’s been some evolution since then and there isn’t a solitary stat that can predict victory but a range of relevant stats probably can. The best teams use the ball efficiently, efficiency perception can vary depending on a team’s primary game plan but I’ve always believed efficient forward 50 entries should be a major stat in how well a team performs. If we get enough inside 50s we usually win. Currently according to Footywire virtually all the high performing teams have the higher goals per inside 50s ratio. I’m hoping that trend continues today so if you hear a large groan coming from the wing today every time McGovern takes an intercept mark, that’ll be me.

Game has too many variables in it to conclusively say winning a certain stat is a certainty of a win!
It's like horse racing...so many factors come into play!
I'm in the camp that says winning a certain amount of KPI's goes a long way to ensuring a win!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back