Analysis Continuing the Bloodline - Father Son/Daughter options

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Hi all,

I noticed in the media article below that Barry Hall now has a son named Miller.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/ba...r/news-story/c51897c40d9a3f51689d7e96f762cd9e
It got me thinking about a future father son opportunity for the Swans.

I think it's great that other boards have father son threads where they can discuss the progress their past champions children make if they choose to try and pursue footy as a career.

I tried searching for an existing father son thread however couldn't immediately locate one so thought it might be helpful to start one up.

Here is a list of players who have played over 100 games for the Swans since the early 90s. There would likely be a few father son options there so lets keep track over time and add as history progresses.

Dane Rampe
Luke Parker
Sam Reid
Ben McGlynn
Lewis Jetta
Josh Kennedy
Dan Hannebery
Mike Pyke
Rhyce Shaw
Nick Smith
Martin Mattner
Craig Bird
Kieran Jack
Heath Grundy
Ted Richards
NICK Malceski
Darren Jolly
Jarrod Mcveigh
Paul Bevan
Lewis Roberts-Thompson
Craig Bolton
Luke Ablett
Amon Buchanan
Barry Hall
Tadhg Kennelly
Paul Williams
Ryan O'keefe
Brett Kirk
Jude Bolton
Nik Fosdike
Adam Goodes
Jared Crouch
Jason Saddington
Ben Matthews
Matthew Nicks
Stewart Maxfield
Leo Barry
Michael O'Loughlin
Daniel Mcpherason
Brad Seymour
Greg Stafford
Darryn Cresswell
Andrew Dunkley
Dale Lewis
Troy Luff
Paul Kelly
Leon Higgins
Greg Williams
Mark Bayes

Mods - please feel free to merge with the Jessie Maxfield thread or any existing father son threads we have.

Andrew Dunkley: 3 children (2 sons). We all know Swans missed out with Josh however there is still the chance with Kyle Dunkley.
https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...e/news-story/a90e7703ee141ffe57627d8e0cde5d1e

Paul Kelly: 5 children (3 boys apparently). details to follow however the eldest Jackson Kelly didn't make the grade despite playing for Swans reserves and academy and plays for Wadonga Raiders (Edited - thanks Bedford)
http://www.bordermail.com.au/story/4402036/son-of-a-gun/

Attachments

• downloadfile.jpg
    downloadfile.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 153
Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Perhaps the OP can be updated with names of father/sons and their d.o.b so we know when they are draftable. A few current/past players that have sons off the top of my head are,

O'Loughlin
Hall
McGlynn
Kennedy
Blakey

Fingers crossed for a buddy boy

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we've already passed on the Maxfield and Kelly offspring? Weren't those boys draftable 2 year ago?

I thought I read somewhere that the next Dunkley off the production line was supposed to be as good as Josh? That was a few years ago though....

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Perhaps the OP can be updated with names of father/sons and their d.o.b so we know when they are draftable. A few current/past players that have sons off the top of my head are,

O'Loughlin
Hall
McGlynn
Kennedy
Blakey

All great suggestions. I will update OP today when toddler and baby are asleep if time allows. Keep the nominations coming for players since 1996 GF over 100 games who may have sons.

O'Loughlin
Hall
McGlynn
Kennedy
Blakey

Blakey isn't F/S to us he's academy.

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I think we've already passed on the Maxfield and Kelly offspring? Weren't those boys draftable 2 year ago?

I thought I read somewhere that the next Dunkley off the production line was supposed to be as good as Josh? That was a few years ago though....
Reports are he's better.

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney

Swans passed on Jackson Kelly the eldest of captain courageous's children however I can't seem to locate any information on his other two boys or even their names on google.

Stuart Maxfields son Jessie Maxfield was overlooked by Swans and is discussed in the BF thread below.
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/jesse-maxfield-father-son.1123334/

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
With the introduction of the AFLW & the noise we're now pushing for a licence we should put up some Father/Daughter options too :$

Feel free to create the thread GTG as this is taking more time than I imagined even getting info about father sons. The only way I can even workout which players had boys is by looking at photos of milestone games and seeing who ran through the banner with their dad beforehand.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Feel free to create the thread GTG as this is taking more time than I imagined even getting info about father sons. The only way I can even workout which players had boys is by looking at photos of milestone games and seeing who ran through the banner with their dad beforehand.
It's a big task but I think it's achievable if everyone pitches in. It has to start somewhere so every time one of the current players has a kid it should be noted in this thread.

Skeparovic

Club Legend
Jul 14, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
It's a big task but I think it's achievable if everyone pitches in. It has to start somewhere so every time one of the current players has a kid it should be noted in this thread.

The more the merrier I say so ALL contributions are welcome to this thread :)

i'll certainly try.

Don't think nature's on our side though.

With the introduction of the AFLW & the noise we're now pushing for a licence we should put up some Father/Daughter options too :$

if we get an AFLW side I fully expect to see

Father/Son
Father/Daughter
Mother/Son
Mother/Daughter

selections to become a thing.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
I think there should be a minimum age. Fair enough if a kid is in high school/academy and aspiring towards becoming an AFL footballer.

But it seems a bit creepy to be tracking a kid from the day they are born. In the hope that they might be a Swans player 18 years into the future.

If you don't, you end up were we all are now trying to remember who actually has children and how old they are. Much easier to keep track from when they are born. It can be done in a similar fashion to the contract thread. Have the year starting from 18 years ago and the kids that were born that year. Every year when those kids are drafted or overlooked they get removed from the list and the next year starts. Basically you end up with 18 lists but it makes keeping track of the kids coming through much easier and this thread could become the mega thread where all father sons are discussed rather than starting a new thread each time one emerges

Back