Continuity V playing guys out of form

Remove this Banner Ad

Claiming there are no viable replacements is the exact sort of thinking that gets a club into this sort of situation in the first place.

Every non injured player is a viable replacement if you don't focus on winning as much.

Every player on our list is on there for a reason. That reason is we think they might be good enough. So when we have 10+ non injured blokes running around in the SANFL there is no such thing as "no viable replacements"

True but I don't think it really matters anymore. The club needs to accept that this season is over and place an emphasis on developing youth. If this leads to a few horrific beltings, who cares? We are already getting belted and there's no prize for finishing mid table.
Until tonight they could still argue that we were a mathematical chance of making the finals, particularly given the players we have returning after the bye. That being the case, they still had to go with the best possible team, in the hope of making the finals.

That hope is now gone. We're now 1 game and 18% outside the top-8, and that's likely to be 2 games + percentage after next week's bye. Hawthorn, Port, GWS, North and Collingwood all have games they should win easily next week. That would put us completely out of our misery.

Tonight was effectively our last roll of the dice. We rolled, we lost. 2018 is now done and dusted, time to put the cue in the rack and start preparing for 2019 - and that means dropping senior players and selecting the kids, if they're even remotely ready for AFL selection.

Claiming there are no viable replacements is the exact sort of thinking that gets a club into this sort of situation in the first place.

Every non injured player is a viable replacement if you don't focus on winning as much.

Every player on our list is on there for a reason. That reason is we think they might be good enough. So when we have 10+ non injured blokes running around in the SANFL there is no such thing as "no viable replacements"
The bolded bit is key. We were still mathematically in the hunt until this loss. As such, they had to focus on winning. Finals are now completely gone, so they're now free to change that focus.

The bolded bit is key. We were still mathematically in the hunt until this loss. As such, they had to focus on winning. Finals are now completely gone, so they're now free to change that focus.
It's so clear to me that fixing our accountability issue is more important than winning and has been for a while now.

While we still have senior players dishing up absolute garbage at random we will never win a flag

It's so clear to me that fixing our accountability issue is more important than winning and has been for a while now.

While we still have senior players dishing up absolute garbage at random we will never win a flag
Mackay probably wouldn't have played tonight if they'd had any options at all performing in the SANFL. Atkins could well have joined him on the sidelines. Having zero options makes it very difficult for the selectors to drop anyone.

Mackay probably wouldn't have played tonight if they'd had any options at all performing in the SANFL. Atkins could well have joined him on the sidelines. Having zero options makes it very difficult for the selectors to drop anyone.
Hampton and Murphy would have offered just as much as Mackay and Atkins except we wouldn't be rewarding s**t senior players with more AFL games

Hampton and Murphy would have offered just as much as Mackay and Atkins except we wouldn't be rewarding s**t senior players with more AFL games
We rewarded our best performed SANFL player in Wilson tonight. I like him but he was miles off it.

You're talking about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Besides which, Murphy hasn't been offering "just as much as Mackay and Atkins". He had 2 touches in the first 3 quarters last week. That's not acceptable for any player, not even a young rookie. Mackay and Atkins have been woeful, Murphy has been worse.

Hampton is gone at the end of the year, and they're understandably reluctant to waste games on a player who isn't a part of the club's future.

We rewarded our best performed SANFL player in Wilson tonight. I like him but he was miles off it.
We did, but we dropped Murphy to get him in.

What was the point of that? If it was Wilson replacing Atkins, that would have been much better

We did, but we dropped Murphy to get him in.

What was the point of that? If it was Wilson replacing Atkins, that would have been much better
The only caveat to that, is that weve cooked seasoned players. What have we done to the kids ??

You're talking about rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.

Besides which, Murphy hasn't been offering "just as much as Mackay and Atkins". He had 2 touches in the first 3 quarters last week. That's not acceptable for any player, not even a young rookie. Mackay and Atkins have been woeful, Murphy has been worse.

Hampton is gone at the end of the year, and they're understandably reluctant to waste games on a player who isn't a part of the club's future.

Rearranging the deck chairs is dropping Murphy and CEY for Gallucci and Wilson. Serves absolutely no purpose.

Dropping an underperforming Atkins for a player that's no better does help. It tells Atkins to play better

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rearranging the deck chairs is dropping Murphy and CEY for Gallucci and Wilson. Serves absolutely no purpose.

Dropping an underperforming Atkins for a player that's no better does help. It tells Atkins to play better
CEY was completely cooked, and Murphy was giving us nothing. Gallucci was a huge upgrade on Murphy, and Wilson got a development game. That's purpose on both selections.

Punitive selections are just plain stupid. The players are playing poorly because they are mentally shot and completely bereft of confidence. Dropping them for punitive reasons just makes things even worse.

CEY was completely cooked, and Murphy was giving us nothing. Gallucci was a huge upgrade on Murphy, and Wilson got a development game. That's purpose on both selections.

Punitive selections are just plain stupid. The players are playing poorly because they are mentally shot and completely bereft of confidence. Dropping them for punitive reasons just makes things even worse.

I don't think punitive selections makes things worse but clearly we disagree on that. If a player is playing poorly across multiple weeks they should return to the SANFL to "find form" at the very least

I don't think punitive selections makes things worse but clearly we disagree on that
There's a time and a place, but right now is not the time or the place, because of the team's mental state. All that would achieve is sending things spiralling even further down into the pit.

I'm not against dropping players who are out of form. I am against punitive droppings, particularly under the current circumstances.

There's a time and a place, but right now is not the time or the place, because of the team's mental state. All that would achieve is sending things spiralling even further down into the pit.

I'm not against dropping players who are out of form. I am against punitive droppings, particularly under the current circumstances.

I think some players would benefit from finding form away from the spotlight of an underperforming side.

Some players are being sent out there every week knowing they are going to play poorly. Maybe sending them to the SANFL would help them rediscover some confidence against easier opponents

I think some players would benefit from finding form away from the spotlight of an underperforming side.

Some players are being sent out there every week knowing they are going to play poorly. Maybe sending them to the SANFL would help them rediscover some confidence against easier opponents
Much easier to do that when you don't have 8 players on the injury list, and at least 3 more who are playing under levels of duress which would normally see them sidelined.

Until this week they had to keep the focus on winning games. Every team does that, while they still have a mathematical chance of making the finals. Team selections have to reflect this - pick the best available team, and hope they can get the job done. We won't be a mathematical chance by the time we come back from the bye, so the focus can now change.

Wilson has been our best SANFL player, and he got 5 touches tonight. That's the difference between the players currently in the team, and those playing in the SANFL. That's why they've been reluctant to drop senior players, until now.

Much easier to do that when you don't have 8 players on the injury list, and at least 3 more who are playing under levels of duress which would normally see them sidelined.

Until this week they had to keep the focus on winning games. Every team does that, while they still have a mathematical chance of making the finals. Team selections have to reflect this - pick the best available team, and hope they can get the job done. We won't be a mathematical chance by the time we come back from the bye, so the focus can now change.

Wilson has been our best SANFL player, and he got 5 touches tonight. That's the difference between the players currently in the team, and those playing in the SANFL. That's why they've been reluctant to drop senior players, until now.

i guess those 5 touchs had nothing to do with playing at half foward for 90% of his game time combining with jenkins and tex wasting what little tank he has trying to chase and apply pressure against an out number for half the game after sending otto back he attended a whole 2 center bounces yes he was poor but like most new players into the team he was set up fail by coaching staff who picked him to play that role he was never suited to we were better off picking hampton or even davis they would of been effective in that role

If the alternative is Signorello or Edwards? You leave the senior player in, and drop them as soon as the injury list permits.

It's all very well saying "somebody needs to do something"... but there has to be something you can actually do. Right now, there isn't.

Sig is getting pretty good numbers in the SANFL now that we've finally decided to play him in his correct position (on the ball). I'd happily give him a shot.

You haven't watched Pyke's presser yet have you ?? He basically opens with, we've got 6 wins, history says you need to win 12 to make it, so we need 6 wins from the next 9 games.

When you continue to pick Atkins who doesn’t put in, it’s pretty easy for the players to become comfortable.

I guarantee you if he had been dropped and returned, he wouldn’t have had 3 games with no more than 14 possessions and 1 tackle in 2 weeks.

You haven't watched Pyke's presser yet have you ?? He basically opens with, we've got 6 wins, history says you need to win 12 to make it, so we need 6 wins from the next 9 games.
Yeah and after the next 2 games it will be needing 6 from 7 games to scrape into 8th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back