List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Why would hunt want to come to us ?
It would be for money that is all .
We would have to give him overs in cash to move interstate.
Rather throw the money at bowes as he would at least be in the age bracket we are looking for.
Chasing hunt stinks of us trying to shoot up the ladder again for one last shot !

Lots of people at the club thinking their job is on the line without success which is spot on
Agree with both. Don't see the point of recruiting anyone who'll probably be retiring before we get near our next 'dynasty'. That is, anyone over about 26 or so. I'd rather be going with younger players.

And I also worry that we are thinking of 'shooting up the ladder again' - to what? Twelth? Tenth? Or even if by some miracle we can make the eight, is there the even slightest chance we can be a serious contender with our ever-ageing champs and not enough standout young'uns. (Looking at the games in these finals we are not within cooee of being competitive. Not even close to not being close.)

I've gotta say I'm stunned at the Brander decision. You can say whatever you like about his time at West Coast -- whether he had his opportunities and blew them, or he was disadvantaged by being played out of position or whatever. But since GWS picked him up as a delisted free agent, he would have been on minimum coin. I would have expected them to give him two years.

On one hand, it makes the decision to let him go seem completely legitimate. On the other hand, it raises the question about how such a dud got picked at 13.
We had a new contract for him and after he was dropped mid season told his manager to put contract talks on hold .

He would have played every game for us this year as a forward if he stayed .

What a spud move on his behalf

Few credible posters putting options up for GC 5 / 7 Bowes and their Future 1st for our 2nd, plus exchange of 2nd rounds and future 2nds.

Is this even possible? Sounds like a kiss on a dick trade e.g 2018 again!!

2022: 5, 7, 15 and 20
2023: 3 and 12

Hawthorn picking up Bowes would be interesting. Apparently super keen to trade up and take Sheezel/Wardlaw. 6+7 for say, 2 + Amon compo would be a solid result.

Yep can see that.

If we cant land it then we want either the Hawks or Essendon to do the deal.

Then one of them coming to us to trade up to pick 2.

North would just keep and use the pick.

Few credible posters putting options up for GC 5 / 7 Bowes and their Future 1st for our 2nd, plus exchange of 2nd rounds and future 2nds.

Is this even possible? Sounds like a kiss on a dick trade e.g 2018 again!!

2022: 5, 7, 15 and 20
2023: 3 and 12

It's possible ......... HOWEVER......IMO there is a significant catch.

We have the money of that I have no doubt, otherwise we would not be discussing an offer to Jackson ( Yes I know we all agree and that it's a very long shot ), but the coin is there to absorb the two years of Bowes 800K contract, if thats the way we intend to go.

However rightly or wrongly, I cant see us entertaining the prospect of dealing for Bowes, until the whole Jackson situation is settled, one way or another.

Feathers in His Cap has a lot on his plate and a few chooks to pluck, so I am not expecting the Jackson piece of business to be sorted until the latter part of the trade period.

That may well mean, that we come to the negotiating table too late for Gold Coast and subsequently miss the boat.

It's possible ......... HOWEVER......IMO there is a significant catch.

We have the money of that I have no doubt, otherwise we would not be discussing an offer to Jackson ( Yes I know we all agree and that it's a very long shot ), but the coin is there to absorb the two years of Bowes 800K contract, if thats the way we intend to go.

However rightly or wrongly, I cant see us entertaining the prospect of dealing for Bowes, until the whole Jackson situation is settled, one way or another.

Feathers in His Cap has a lot on his plate and a few chooks to pluck, so I am not expecting the Jackson piece of business to be sorted until the latter part of the trade period.

That may well mean, that we come to the negotiating table too late for Gold Coast and subsequently miss the boat.
I would rather miss the Jackson boat and go for bowes then try steal sharpe whilst feathers is busy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When's Logan McDonald out of contract.
With him getting dropped for the Granny.
WA boy, 2020 number 4 draft pick.

Time to bring him home to help him win a real premiership with the Eagles me thinks. Fits our age bracket for our next tilt.

Was a huge Collingwood fan and loving his time in Sydney from all reports. Might be a tough get

When's Logan McDonald out of contract.
With him getting dropped for the Granny.
WA boy, 2020 number 4 draft pick.

Time to bring him home to help him win a real premiership with the Eagles me thinks. Fits our age bracket for our next tilt.

Signed a 2 year extension at the beginning of the year, so OOC end 2024.
Would be a great get for us that off-season along with English.

I'd like to think with him being dropped this week that we're in his ear.
No doubt Sydney would be saying that once Buddy hangs them up, their forward line is his.

So as it stands (I have already factored into it the Sheppard retirement), we still have a load of questions to answer.

Main List
We had 37 on our list and JK and Nelson have come off meaning 35. It can only be a max of 38. With Rioli likely to leave, that would enable us to take 4 at the national draft. Out of contract are Witherden and Winder meaning we could delist and say goodbye, retain or delist with a promise of a rookie spot if still there. With Jones likely to be upgraded to the main list, I expect both Witherden and Winder to leave the main list. Including Jones on, we take 4 to 5 picks to the draft.

I am getting the feeling that I would prefer the Rioli deal to be a future R2. Perhaps even Port's R2 and R3 in exchange for our R4. They are likely to view us as bottom 4 and themselves as top 8. Meaning Rioli is valued at 26

1663927593358.png

Rookie List
We had 8 and have delisted Strnadica, Joyce and Dixon. We have out of contract Naish, West, Trew and Jones. Jones goes to the main list meaning we only have contracted Culley on the rookie list. I personally would like to delist all of Naish, West and Trew. That would enable us to select 3 rookies. I cannot see a long term need for any of Naish, West or Trew.

I like the idea of maxing out on rookies so that we get the first $70k outside the cap. Two extra rookies gets us another $140k. Every little bit will help over the next 3 years

So as it stands (I have already factored into it the Sheppard retirement), we still have a load of questions to answer.

Main List
We had 37 on our list and JK and Nelson have come off meaning 35. It can only be a max of 38. With Rioli likely to leave, that would enable us to take 4 at the national draft. Out of contract are Witherden and Winder meaning we could delist and say goodbye, retain or delist with a promise of a rookie spot if still there. With Jones likely to be upgraded to the main list, I expect both Witherden and Winder to leave the main list. Including Jones on, we take 4 to 5 picks to the draft.

I am getting the feeling that I would prefer the Rioli deal to be a future R2. Perhaps even Port's R2 and R3 in exchange for our R4. They are likely to view us as bottom 4 and themselves as top 8. Meaning Rioli is valued at 26

View attachment 1516193

Rookie List
We had 8 and have delisted Strnadica, Joyce and Dixon. We have out of contract Naish, West, Trew and Jones. Jones goes to the main list meaning we only have contracted Culley on the rookie list. I personally would like to delist all of Naish, West and Trew. That would enable us to select 3 rookies. I cannot see a long term need for any of Naish, West or Trew.

I like the idea of maxing out on rookies so that we get the first $70k outside the cap. Two extra rookies gets us another $140k. Every little bit will help over the next 3 years
We despretely need depth that can actually play. It killed us this season.

All of Naish West and Trew have been tried and tested. They didn't set the world on fire when they had opportunity. Do not want any of them either as I can't see any upside or growth in them.

We need to rookie players that could at least break even and look like having a bright future at the club. With rookies you are looking for the next Q Lynch, Priddis, Chad Fletcher, McGovern, D Cox

All these players shown something, they could at least play at the top level and had that potential to grow into better players into there roles which they all did.
Naish Trew and West are not that. Delist them and roll the wheels again until we find that diamond in the rough again.

Foley still being contracted for another whole year is a punch in the peen. There were times this year he was so so so bad. In both AFL and WAFL.

2023 potential/likely delistings loom large for many players.

SPS, Legdon, Foley, Redden, Hurn, XON, Petch and Shuey.

Nailing a couple rookies this year would be a godsend. Really hoping we treat that draft with more respect than we have in the past (Burrows, Gorter)

Foley still being contracted for another whole year is a punch in the peen. There were times this year he was so so so bad. In both AFL and WAFL.

2023 potential/likely delistings loom large for many players.

SPS, Legdon, Foley, Redden, Hurn, XON, Petch and Shuey.

Nailing a couple rookies this year would be a godsend. Really hoping we treat that draft with more respect than we have in the past (Burrows, Gorter)

It hurts how a lot of our “young” players currently on our list are genuinely awful lol… I have little hope for most of them unfortunately

All it takes is watching 1 Beagles game to see just how bad our list is at the moment and the quality of our young depth.

Old mate Creasy, the amateur from Bunbury, winning the Beagles B&F averaging 17 disposals a game is pretty telling.

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by The Office

All it takes is watching 1 Beagles game to see just how bad our list is at the moment and the quality of our young depth.

Old mate Creasy, the amateur from Bunbury, winning the Beagles B&F averaging 17 disposals a game is pretty telling.

Episode 4 Nbc GIF by The Office
I dont think any of our players played enough games to trouble the B&F

We desperately need depth that can actually play. It killed us this season.

All of Naish West and Trew have been tried and tested. They didn't set the world on fire when they had opportunity. Do not want any of them either as I can't see any upside or growth in them.

We need to rookie players that could at least break even and look like having a bright future at the club. With rookies you are looking for the next Q Lynch, Priddis, Chad Fletcher, McGovern, D Cox

All these players shown something, they could at least play at the top level and had that potential to grow into better players into there roles which they all did.
Naish Trew and West are not that. Delist them and roll the wheels again until we find that diamond in the rough again.
Part of what killed us (the Lions) between 2011 and 2016, is that we kept trading in depth, to "protect the kids", but those depth players were largely not up to standard in a poor team, and we ended up playing the kids ahead of them anyway, because they were more talented.

We gave those depth players 3 or 4 year contracts, to get them across, so we found our list partly hamstrung, until we could get those players off this list to free up cap space.

The depth that can actually play, will come mostly from your draftees.

Otherwise you need decent players who either, want to come home, or you're willing to over pay somewhat to get them across, while not overpaying your draftees on their second contract, until they have proven themselves. But you need to actually give up decent picks (i.e. second round picks) to get those types in.

I am over the moon Jackson Nelson was finally let go

I'd have 5 branders over him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back