List Mgmt. Contract, Trade & Draftee Discussion - 2022 Off Season Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Contract status of all players now fully updated

Last edited:
Getting in the way of Hough, Chesser and Bazzo. I’d much prefer to see them get games before Hunt.

It seems we’re a world apart as far as vision for the club. Agree to disagree.
I mean, they were getting games ahead of players the club picked up to play those positions anyway. Not sure Hunt is going to keep any of them out.

A player like Sheed is going to keep Hough out, not Hunt.

Meet the new flag fancy's boiz (presumably) :shrug:

Hurn Barrass Duggan
Cole McGovern Yeo
Gaff Kelly Hunt
Cripps Darling Ryan
Petrucelle Oscar Waterman.

Naitanui Shuey Sheed

Int: Culley, Chesser, Williams, (Jones)

Miss out: Ledwards, Hedwards, Hough, Langdon, O'Neil, SPS.

At the start of this season we had 19 players coming out of contract at the end of the year and then we had an additional 4 SSP signings due to our lengthy long term injury list

Of those players :

Signed new contracts
• Barrass - 5 years
• Cole - 3 years
• LEdwards - 2 years
• HEdwards - 2 years
• Jamieson - 2 years
• Naitanui - 2 years
• Jones - 2 years
• BWilliams - 2 years
• Shuey - 1 year
• Hurn - 1 year (TBC)

Retired
• Sheppard
• Kennedy
• Redden
• Strnadica

Delisted
• Nelson
• Dixon
• Joyce
• Naish

Traded out
• Rioli

Pending
• Witherden
• Winder
• Trew
• West

Given that only 1 or maybe 2 of those players awaiting their fate will get a lifeline it’s hard to argue we haven’t given the list a decent cull

There shouldn’t be too many objections to those players we extended contracts for - some may justifiably quibble over the length of contract however

Given the reported depth of next years draft there’s a few players coming out of contract in 2023 that’ll need a big season to survive :

To be recontracted
• Hough
• Culley
• JWilliams

Possible retirees but more likely to get an extra year :
• McGovern
• Cripps

Probable retirees :
• Hurn
• Shuey

Danger zone :
• Petruccelle
• Waterman
• Langdon
• Petrevski-Seton
• Foley
• O’Neill
• Clarke

+ approximately 4 players re-signed or rookie listed through the trade/draft period

Last edited:
That being said it seems our "Cull" has actually been players nominating themselves. Particularly the seniors. This isn't an actual directive from the club or them being proactive with the rebuild.

JK would still be playing as long as he likes if WCE had their way, as would Sheppard. Redden literally had a contract and was playing in 2023 up until very recently.

There has been no actual meaningful intent from the club. Haven't had to make any harsh calls or tapping any vets on the shoulder.

Other than that, I'm glad with how things are proceeding so far.

Given the reported depth of next years draft there’s a few players coming out of contract in 2023 that’ll need a big season to survive :

To be recontracted
• Hough
• Culley
• JWilliams

Possible retirees but more likely to get an extra year :
• McGovern
• Shuey

Probable retirees :
• Hurn
• Shuey

Danger zone :
• Petruccelle
• Waterman
• Langdon
• Petrevski-Seton
• Foley
• O’Neill
• Clarke

+ approximately 4 players re-signed or rookie listed through the trade/draft period
As I understand it taking into account Rioli’s probable move, we now have 34 on the main list and 3 rookies. We can have a maximum of 38 on the main list with 4 rookies (or some juggling of those eg: 36 and 6), so we can recruit/draft 4 plays on the main list and 1 rookie..we have 3 good picks at the moment and a possibility of another with the Rioli trade. Then we have pick 38. I’d be going hard on the draft and keeping those 4 picks unless we trade for future good picks. Blokes like Hunt wouldn’t be in my plans

At the start of this season we had 19 players coming out of contract at the end of the year and then we had an additional 4 SSP signings due to our lengthy long term injury list

Of those players :

Signed new contracts
• Barrass - 5 years
• Cole - 3 years
• LEdwards - 2 years
• HEdwards - 2 years
• Jamieson - 2 years
• Naitanui - 2 years
• Jones - 2 years
• BWilliams - 2 years
• Shuey - 1 year
• Hurn - 1 year (TBC)

Retired
• Sheppard
• Kennedy
• Redden
• Strnadica

Delisted
• Nelson
• Dixon
• Joyce
• Naish

Traded out
• Rioli

Pending
• Witherden
• Winder
• Trew
• West

Given that only 1 or maybe 2 of those players awaiting their fate will get a lifeline it’s hard to argue we haven’t given the list a decent cull

There shouldn’t be too many objections to those players we extended contracts for - some may justifiably quibble over the length of contract however

How many were top ups? Naish, Dixon, Joyce and Strdancia.

In and out in 1 season doesnt count as rebuild list turnovers really.

Bond mentioned some contracted players who have decisions to make. Im hoping one of Rotham, Waterman or Petruccelle may be a surprise trade. Plus Witherden.

Last edited:
As I understand it taking into account Rioli’s probable move, we now have 34 on the main list and 3 rookies. We can have a maximum of 38 on the main list with 4 rookies (or some juggling of those eg: 36 and 6), so we can recruit/draft 4 plays on the main list and 1 rookie..we have 3 good picks at the moment and a possibility of another with the Rioli trade. Then we have pick 38. I’d be going hard on the draft and keeping those 4 picks unless we trade for future good picks. Blokes like Hunt wouldn’t be in my plans
Still likely a few more spots will open up. Still uncontacted and not announced yet

West
Trew
Winder

Mains uncontacted
Witho

I really can see only Witho as the 50/50 here. And if we want Hunt his probally gone. Straight swap for Hunt.
I think all of these will be delisted come end of the weekend.

Will leave us with 4 main and 4 Rookie selections.

Of those players :

Signed new contracts
• Barrass - 5 years
• Cole - 3 years
• LEdwards - 2 years
• HEdwards - 2 years
• Jamieson - 2 years
• Naitanui - 2 years
• Jones - 2 years
• BWilliams - 2 years
• Shuey - 1 year
• Hurn - 1 year (TBC)

Retired
• Sheppard
• Kennedy
• Redden
• Strnadica

Delisted
• Nelson
• Dixon
• Joyce
• Naish

Traded out
• Rioli

Pending
• Witherden
• Winder
• Trew
• West

I find this exciting and good progression for our new era starting from next season. It's a quick turnover of the list happening and gives me faith that they know what they are doing. This will get us back up the ladder quicker then a long 6 year drawn out rebuild media and experts were predicting for us.

We might be back contending if our drafting goes well in 2-3 years time.
Had to be done. I'm optimistic about next season and looking forward to all the new comers coming in.

That being said it seems our "Cull" has actually been players nominating themselves. Particularly the seniors. This isn't an actual directive from the club or them being proactive with the rebuild.

JK would still be playing as long as he likes if WCE had their way, as would Sheppard. Redden literally had a contract and was playing in 2023 up until very recently.

There has been no actual meaningful intent from the club. Haven't had to make any harsh calls or tapping any vets on the shoulder.

Other than that, I'm glad with how things are proceeding so far.
Anything you don’t want to whinge about this off-season, DS?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Sheezel, another top end pick wants to stay in Melbourne?

Let’s see how fair the vic media think it is by getting hewett and Ginbey to sook it up and say they’re only going to play for a WA based club and land at our picks in the 20s.
He said on trade radio yesterday he's happy to go interstate?

Let’s see how fair the vic media think it is by getting hewett and Ginbey to sook it up and say they’re only going to play for a WA based club and land at our picks in the 20s.
We should be really telling all WA draftees to announce they want to stay in WA.

It's the same as Sheezel doing what he just did. And it seems to be happening more and more from Vic draftees.

He said on trade radio yesterday he's happy to go interstate?
Nah he didn't. What he did was open the discussion that he wants to stay in Vic and then after to save face he said but I be happy going anywhere. It's completely BS and dictating where we wants to go. He basically just told all interstate side not to draft him in other words as players obviously can't just come out and say directly I'm not playing for any interstate sides. Can you imagine the uproar. This though is basically Sheezel doing that but in a nice way.

Exactly.

At least he was being semi honest and open. And people / clubs can now assess any flight risk.

Can see any splitting of pick 2 will wait until draft night unless the team interested is happy with either Sheezel, Wardlaw or Cadman with live pick 3.

My problem is we are paying simmo premium dollars to rebuild when we could bring in a new coach and 4 development coaches for the same price.

Seems like a poor allocation of resources
He's contracted for another 2 years.

So you want to pay him out on his premium dollars for 2 years and then bring in 5 new coaches?

That would be a poor allocation of resources.

He's contracted for another 2 years.

So you want to pay him out on his premium dollars for 2 years and then bring in 5 new coaches?

That would be a poor allocation of resources.
It depends if that salary came under the soft cap or not

We should be really telling all WA draftees to announce they want to stay in WA.

It's the same as Sheezel doing what he just did. And it seems to be happening more and more from Vic draftees.
Top 2-3 WA based prospects may think about it, but if they are say rated 5th best from WA, and the 2 teams on average take 3-4 picks that include the best from interstate, the maths isn't good on that.

It would have to be said late in the piece (almost after trade period) as then picks are decided so they know it is possible. Take Busslinger this year, maybe, maybe he gets to Freo's 1st if he is strong about wanting to stay in WA, but that will end up with Melbourne and he isn't getting to 20 - so basically an attempt at tampering that fails.

It's easier for Vic kids as there are 10 clubs, so usually only results in a slide of a handful of spots.

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back