Contract concerns and potential recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 18, 2005
AFL Club
Melbourne
Slightly out of the loop with regards to the contract standings of the following players;

Jesse Hogan
Jeremy Howe
Tom Macdonald
Dom Tyson

I don't think we have any doubts to the ability and future potential of these 4 players, especially a power forward who looks like a J Brown type and Jeremy Howe who can literally play anywhere and have an impact, so I was hoping to know where these guys stood with regard to our future?

If Hogan is out of contract I am expecting Fremantle to offer him a huge deal. It makes sense that he could be a ready replacement for Pavlich. Howe was rumoured not to have signed yet, and where do the other two sit?

I see our future around the following guys;

Jones (short term), Viney (long term), Vince (ST), Tyson (LT), Brayshaw (LT), Petracca (LT), Garlett (ST), Hogan (LT), Howe (LT), Pederson (ST), Dawes (ST), Macdonald (LT), Garland (ST).

I was also wondering what we thought on recruiting another gun mid? Shiel or Sloane? And what about the idea of offering Charlie Dixon a contract from GC?

Discuss

Concerning for me is Col Garland as a FA.
If he keeps up his 2015 form we probably get a second rounder if he leaves. Could package up with our first rounder/maybe other second rounder to go after an elite midfielder. Don't reckon Garland would be the biggest loss.

If he keeps up his 2015 form we probably get a second rounder if he leaves. Could package up with our first rounder/maybe other second rounder to go after an elite midfielder. Don't reckon Garland would be the biggest loss.
Leaves a fair hole with Dunn probably not going on for more than a season or two maximum.

Hogan extended his contract
Tyson agreed to be traded to us
Tom Mcdonald is signed and would love playing with his brother
Howe is tradable in my opinion, especially if his rumoured asking price of $650k a season is true.

Leaves a fair hole with Dunn probably not going on for more than a season or two maximum.
I'd agree if Garland was still playing as a key defender, but he doesn't seem to be. Would obviously rather keep him, especially when Fitzpatrick and Frost are still far from sure things and Oscar McDonald might as well still be playing in the TAC Cup), but with McDonald there it would be far from our worst FA loss if Garland left assuming we can decently develop a few others. Is playing some great football though.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think Garland will stick around. Howe - depends what other clubs offer him, but hope we can convince him to stay.

If Garland keeps his current form up, I think there'll be interest.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Really need another quality mid like Shiel or Treloar. Target these guys or Prestia. Danger won't be coming our way I think he'll go to Geelong. Sloane apparently looking at saints however we must have a chat to his manager.

Hogan extended his contract
Tyson agreed to be traded to us
Tom Mcdonald is signed and would love playing with his brother
Howe is tradable in my opinion, especially if his rumoured asking price of $650k a season is true.
Through to the end of 2017.

I never ever ever thought I'd say this, but Pederson is out of contract at the end of this season and I want him signed now. Can guarantee Brisbane will be a club chasing him since they could get him for not much, might be a few others too. While it's not likely he's going to be offered massive coin elsewhere to move, they would be able to provide him more job security with a more regular guarantee of playing time.

As much as we all love pedo, the hierarchy may see players like Frost and JFitz as better alternatives and play them over him. After all, they kept doing this with Dawes over him. For those wondering, Pederson just turned 28, but if he keeps taking contested marks and kicking goals as he's been doing now, I'd be tempted to offer him a 2 year deal, or at worst, a 1 year deal with a clause that gives him a second year if he meets 'x' criteria.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I never ever ever thought I'd say this, but Pederson is out of contract at the end of this season and I want him signed now. Can guarantee Brisbane will be a club chasing him since they could get him for not much, might be a few others too. While it's not likely he's going to be offered massive coin elsewhere to move, they would be able to provide him more job security with a more regular guarantee of playing time.

As much as we all love pedo, the hierarchy may see players like Frost and JFitz as better alternatives and play them over him. After all, they kept doing this with Dawes over him. For those wondering, Pederson just turned 28, but if he keeps taking contested marks and kicking goals as he's been doing now, I'd be tempted to offer him a 2 year deal, or at worst, a 1 year deal with a clause that gives him a second year if he meets 'x' criteria.

Surely they'd give him two years based on the last few games alone. I'd like to see us sort his contract out but hold off on announcing it. If anyone comes sniffing around him, we tell them "sorry, he's taken, but would you be interested in the economy model?" and swindle them into taking Dawes off our hands.

If Garland keeps his current form up, I think there'll be interest.
He strikes me as someone with loyalty. Much like Dunn, he'll want to be a one club man.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He strikes me as someone with loyalty. Much like Dunn, he'll want to be a one club man.

True, but I felt the same about Rivers before he left. Don't begrudge the bloke for chasing a bit of success if he decides to go.

Klyntonius

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 9, 2004
The nearest twisties
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Kawasaki Racing, Falcons, Pelicans
True, but I felt the same about Rivers before he left. Don't begrudge the bloke for chasing a bit of success if he decides to go.

A lot will depend how this season plays out I think. I reckon Garland is young enough that he'll think he can see some success at this club assuming we can snare around 8 wins this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back